Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    Roo, I have the opposite. I started getting gray (really white I guess) hair when I was 18. It runs in my family. Good thing is we all have full heads of hair. Bad thing is it would be snow white without a little help. Richard Gere was very good for my luck with the ladies.

TG
    I have a full head of hair at age 66. And for some reason, which I can't explain, my hair has not grayed. My own brother used to accuse me of coloring my hair, which I have never done. He's six years younger and his hair grayed eons ago. There is some gray in my hair now, a little more appears every year. But for the most part, at 66 my hair is largely the same volume and shade of brown it was at age 16.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Chargers gonna install outside zone in 2023. The reason I am so jacked up over this install is: picture Justin Herbert with a supporting running game. In the last game the Chargers played, Chargers averaged 2.9 YPC + Jaguars averaged 5.6 YPC. An argument could be made that the Chargers defense line was also a problem, but I believe Joey Bosa when he said he played on one leg, and the rest can be attributed to injuries along the defensive line. For now, let's focus on the new offensive install.

When you watch the above video, just pause it and count the number of gaps you read in the 49ers outside zone v. the Packers.

Playcall is Toss 18. Outside Zone.

Untitled 2.png

If you pause the video

@ 1:58 The defense is in a single high safety look pre-snap. The RB has taken the pitch and his insert blocker is looking to engage the ILB in the inside of the zone surface area. I counted 7 gap options for the back to choose from, but as we know gaps open and close, and that's the nature of the zone. But what I noticed was how the Packers defenders overplayed their gaps and took themselves right out of the play. The rest was just superb execution in the blocking scheme by the 49ers offensive line, FB, + TE.

@1:59 The safeties are now in a Cover-2. The insert blocker engages his man and that Cover-2 corner on the near hash has him from the 42 yard line. But watch the angle the S takes. Takes himself out of the play.

@2:00 The insert blocker has opened a gap and the RB is in the gap and look at that huge gap that's opened to HIS left; a cutback lane. But Look at the near safety, in less than two seconds, he's trying to flip his hips and recover. A beautiful open field run by the back splits the safeties for 35+ yard gain.

Mostert read through 4 gaps in 5 steps. As Brett Kollman points out.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/kellen-moore-the-art-of-installing-an-offense

(2019) FRISCO, Texas– Kellen Moore has been running offenses for most of his life, but this month marks the first time he's had to install one.

It's an annual tradition in football. When the calendar flips over to spring, teams take the field for the first time in four months and go through their install – which is to say, they lay the groundwork for the plays they want to run in the fall.

What that means for Moore, who is in the early stages of his first year as an offensive coordinator, is an interesting look at the type of offense he wants to run.

"It's different pieces each and every day, whether it's formations or whether it's personnel, play type, field zone," Moore said on Wednesday. "All these things, they kind of get flavored up each day. So whether it's an emphasis in a certain formation, and then maybe down the line introduce a personnel group that you don't do as much."

Through two weeks of OTAs, Moore's commitment to variety does seem noticeable. The Cowboys have taken the field in a multitude of different personnel groupings and formations.

This past Wednesday saw the Cowboys begin to install their red zone offense, which, to hear it from Dak Prescott, was one of the final aspects of the offense that hadn't been covered – even at this early stage of the offseason.

"Credit to the coaches, they threw more at us this year," Prescott said. "A lot of times you install and you just install a few plays here and there. We talked about installing the red zone, but for the most part we've already installed and now we're coming back to it."

That raises an interesting question for a first-year coordinator. As fun as it might be to get back onto a field, the Cowboys still have precious few opportunities to work on these things during the spring. Even including a three-day minicamp, they'll practice roughly 10 times before they break the training camp.

Which begs the question: how do you balance perfecting things versus simply getting acquainted with them?

"That's some of the interesting battles of OTAs, because sometimes you want to clean something up but you're moving on to the next thing," Moore said. "That's part of this. We'll go through it in this phase, and then we'll go to training camp. We'll hit a very similar progression of it, so we'll be able to hit it again and hopefully clean it up again and then we'll hopefully be ready come September."

Moore said his plan is to have the core components of the offense installed during the spring. Four weeks' worth of training camp practices will give the Cowboys a chance to add some extra flavor, not to mention fine tune things.

For now, the installation goes on.
      ​
      Thanks. Love the talk about blocking. Our OL under Moore will have a Huge impact on W-L. Talent meet tactics, strategy.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Thanks. Love the talk about blocking. Our OL under Moore will have a Huge impact on W-L. Talent meet tactics, strategy.
        For me, it's about understanding the nomenclature because it's so varied and so diverse - I like to think I'm pretty quick on the uptake - but everyone refers to a situational offensive football term differently, for instance, a double-team block is also a scoop block. I find multiple terms somewhat confusing.

Anyway, blocking is a fascinating topic and Who is your pick for best offensive line coach? I'm going to go with Bobb McKittrick and newly retired Dante Scarnecchia (Patriots).

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Joe Bugle is right up there. And so is Bill Calahan.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            Joe Bugle is right up there. And so is Bill Calahan.

TG
            Jim McNally is an offensive line coach who gets overlooked (wait...all of them do). He coached Anthony Munoz for his entire NFL career. In Buffalo he developed Jason Peters, an undrafted free agent in 2004, into one of the best left tackles. This was after Peters spent his entire college career as a tight end.

McNally retired in 2008, but the Jets and Bengals have had him as a consultant for the last 13 seasons.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

For me, it's about understanding the nomenclature because it's so varied and so diverse - I like to think I'm pretty quick on the uptake - but everyone refers to a situational offensive football term differently, for instance, a double-team block is also a scoop block. I find multiple terms somewhat confusing.

Anyway, blocking is a fascinating topic and Who is your pick for best offensive line coach? I'm going to go with Bobb McKittrick and newly retired Dante Scarnecchia (Patriots).

Scarneccia. The depth & development of OL during BB's rein of terror was impressive. That was a long run of success.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Scarneccia. The depth & development of OL during BB's rein of terror was impressive. That was a long run of success.
                That guy is the prototype

Comment

• Rugger05
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Let's say Herbert sets new career records and leads the league in passing and the offense flourishes this season, but the defense continues to struggle and the Chargers go one and done again in the playoffs and they decide to move on from Staley. Would Moore be the natural choice to take over as HC?

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Moore for HC
                      Staley for DC ?

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        Let's say Herbert sets new career records and leads the league in passing and the offense flourishes this season, but the defense continues to struggle and the Chargers go one and done again in the playoffs and they decide to move on from Staley. Would Moore be the natural choice to take over as HC?
                        Yes.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yes.
                          It would be the least disruptive way to make a HC change.

Comment

Working...
                          X