Will Herbert Sign a Long Term Deal This Off-Season?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foreigner
    Tom Telesco is gone
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Be nice Dea.
    Dea is not the problem for Dean... its Dea's husband....

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Telesco will get it done this offseason with a gargantuan signing bonus and first couple year cap friendly deal.

Every year it is delayed the costs skyrocket.

They aren't stupid enough to play Russian roulette with a franchise QB that’s already considered top 5 in the league by every analyst.

Look at it this way. Fouts and Rivers were excellent QB’s and up until now widely considered the best QB’s in Charger history.

After Herbert’s career is over he can be measured against them but going into his fourth year, he’s the best QB in the history of this franchise at this stage.

You don’t mess with that fact and you get him locked up ASAP.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
        Dea Spanos my HERO
        • Dec 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Is Dean truly exploring a sale or is that when he can sell the team based on years since the move?
        The letter of intent to all heirs by Dean to explore a sale of the Chargers in 2024 was in the lawsuit and now in the NFL's arbitration. The sale is based on the Spanos trust being insolvent, trustee fraud and breach of trust.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
          Dea Spanos my HERO
          • Dec 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
          Dean probably doesn't have the cash to escrow the guaranteed portion of a Herbert extension.

Let's see if he can win a playoff game before giving him the bag
          MIchael Spanos is marketing Spanos land to raise capital and turned down a ~$20 million offer. It seems to me the Spanos family is trying to raise cash to save the Spanos trust or maybe pay Herbert ? I don't know. The pending land sale caught Dea by surprise since Michael is not empowered to act as a trustee (Trust fraud claim). My gut suspects Dean kicks the can down the road with a possible team sale looming in 2024 and the NFL's arbitration decision. Can Herbert roll with it if so ? It is sort of messed up to even have to think about it.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
            Telesco will get it done this offseason with a gargantuan signing bonus and first couple year cap friendly deal.

Every year it is delayed the costs skyrocket.

They aren't stupid enough to play Russian roulette with a franchise QB that’s already considered top 5 in the league by every analyst.

Look at it this way. Fouts and Rivers were excellent QB’s and up until now widely considered the best QB’s in Charger history.

After Herbert’s career is over he can be measured against them but going into his fourth year, he’s the best QB in the history of this franchise at this stage.

You don’t mess with that fact and you get him locked up ASAP.
            Win a playoff game, and Herbert can start to be considered on Fouts/Rivers level.

Fouts is a HOFer; Herbert has never won a playoff game.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post
              What if Herbert demands the unthinkable - a trade ..... Sure he can be tagged but .......

Now that would be a story. Do I see Herbert holding out ? Nope but what if .....

And Dean is exploring a sale in 2024....

I could see Dean leaving Herbert's fate to the next team owner if he loses the NFL's arbitration.
              I could see that..... He has NEVER signed anyone early except for bad coaches..... Rivers always had to wait till last minute before Spanos would offer a fair deal.... Spanos even forced Bosa to hold out because Spanos did not want to pay his bonus up front like other top 5 draft picks got..... and that was after salary cap.... vefore salary cap Spanos made EVERY single first round draft choice hold out because he tried to get them to sign for less than those below them.... the ONLY NFL tem to do that every fricking year.....

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

MIchael Spanos is marketing Spanos land to raise capital and turned down a ~$20 million offer. It seems to me the Spanos family is trying to raise cash to save the Spanos trust or maybe pay Herbert ? I don't know. The pending land sale caught Dea by surprise since Michael is not empowered to act as a trustee (Trust fraud claim). My gut suspects Dean kicks the can down the road with a possible team sale looming in 2024 and the NFL's arbitration decision. Can Herbert roll with it if so ? It is sort of messed up to even have to think about it.
                interesting......

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

alott of NFL mediaare talking about how much Burrough, Tua, and Hurts are going to get when thweir teams extend them likely this off season.....Chargers better move fast too get the deal done first to not have to compete with those guys......

Spanos has always stupidly taken the wait till others sign to see what he is forced to pay approach....he's afraid of paying too much!.... butnever realizes thatrthe longer he waits the higher the numbers go.....lol

Someone posted on FB that Herbert should be getting a 6 year deal... i disagree.... we need to do a Mahomes type 10 year deal to spread money around..... and give Chargers options down the line....

Need to do it quick.....so we will know what we need to do in FA.... who to trade or cut.... and who to sign?.....

ALL hinges on Herberts deal......

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Win a playoff game, and Herbert can start to be considered on Fouts/Rivers level.

Fouts is a HOFer; Herbert has never won a playoff game.
                    True.

It’s also true Herbert was playing hurt nearly entire season from KC game. He should have went on IR and recieved medical attention & rest needed to fully recover. Instead Chargers/Staley didn’t have viable back-up QB, so he kept playing in pain. If that’s not Fouts/Rivers level don’t know what is? And only win that counts in the playoffs, is the last one.

Comment

• jubei
                      Vagabond Ninja
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
                      alott of NFL mediaare talking about how much Burrough, Tua, and Hurts are going to get when thweir teams extend them likely this off season.....Chargers better move fast too get the deal done first to not have to compete with those guys......

Spanos has always stupidly taken the wait till others sign to see what he is forced to pay approach....he's afraid of paying too much!.... butnever realizes thatrthe longer he waits the higher the numbers go.....lol

Someone posted on FB that Herbert should be getting a 6 year deal... i disagree.... we need to do a Mahomes type 10 year deal to spread money around..... and give Chargers options down the line....

Need to do it quick.....so we will know what we need to do in FA.... who to trade or cut.... and who to sign?.....

ALL hinges on Herberts deal......
                      LOL about Tua getting extended with big money. he's WAY TOO glassy to sink a ton of money in. But Burrow and Hurts sure are gonna get the Brinks truck backed up into their garage! I'd bet Burrow gets the most.

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

LOL about Tua getting extended with big money. he's WAY TOO glassy to sink a ton of money in. But Burrow and Hurts sure are gonna get the Brinks truck backed up into their garage! I'd bet Burrow gets the most.
                        agree, but my point is all 3 are looking for extensions now!.....TT better convince spanos that it will cost much more later, after those guys sign.... and jackson, and others will also add to issue.....

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

True.

It’s also true Herbert was playing hurt nearly entire season from KC game. He should have went on IR and recieved medical attention & rest needed to fully recover. Instead Chargers/Staley didn’t have viable back-up QB, so he kept playing in pain. If that’s not Fouts/Rivers level don’t know what is? And only win that counts in the playoffs, is the last one.
                          agree.... and its not Herberts fault that OC has horrible game plans with most pass routes being short of line to gain.....and the worst run defense in NFL history...... most of our plays last year had our RB's as primary receivers on the play..... very sad to cripple maybe the strongest arm in football with a pedestrian attack like that.... lol

Staley, a defenasive coach, has allowed the offense to be reduced and more conservative every year.....

This is why I always say the best HC's are offensive minds like Walsh and Reid..... most DC's want conservative offenses that let the defenses star and dont put defense in bad position.....

The greatest dynasties have offensive minds at HC, so offenses are stable and consistent year after year.... DC, who have great OC's lose them every year.....to advancement..... guys like Reid call all the plays, and offense stays consistent only gets better over the years.... and most great offensive minds want an aggressive DC ..... like KC has that blitz the crap out of opponent.... which works when your offense scores 30 points per game....

Exceptions are extremely rare like bellycheat, Shula, etc...who wants his offense to be very aggressive......because most DC's are siuper consercvative..... that is only reason prevent defense exists.....

If our offense turns out great next season, we will either promote our OC to HC or we will lose our OC to another team and Herbert has to start all over again with an OC who might be good or bad????....is that a smart way to run a franchise?????

Comment

Working...
                          X