Will Herbert Sign a Long Term Deal This Off-Season?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

agree.... and its not Herberts fault that OC has horrible game plans with most pass routes being short of line to gain.....and the worst run defense in NFL history...... most of our plays last year had our RB's as primary receivers on the play..... very sad to cripple maybe the strongest arm in football with a pedestrian attack like that.... lol

Staley, a defenasive coach, has allowed the offense to be reduced and more conservative every year.....

This is why I always say the best HC's are offensive minds like Walsh and Reid..... most DC's want conservative offenses that let the defenses star and dont put defense in bad position.....

The greatest dynasties have offensive minds at HC, so offenses are stable and consistent year after year.... DC, who have great OC's lose them every year.....to advancement..... guys like Reid call all the plays, and offense stays consistent only gets better over the years.... and most great offensive minds want an aggressive DC ..... like KC has that blitz the crap out of opponent.... which works when your offense scores 30 points per game....

Exceptions are extremely rare like bellycheat, Shula, etc...who wants his offense to be very aggressive......because most DC's are siuper consercvative..... that is only reason prevent defense exists.....

If our offense turns out great next season, we will either promote our OC to HC or we will lose our OC to another team and Herbert has to start all over again with an OC who might be good or bad????....is that a smart way to run a franchise?????
    If you are going to make an argument about dynasties and then say the greatest ever is the exception - let's be the exception! The reality is that teams that win will lose coaches on both sides as teams try to emulate their success. Good organizations replace the good coaches that leave with other good coaches.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

agree.... and its not Herberts fault that OC has horrible game plans with most pass routes being short of line to gain.....and the worst run defense in NFL history...... most of our plays last year had our RB's as primary receivers on the play..... very sad to cripple maybe the strongest arm in football with a pedestrian attack like that.... lol

Staley, a defenasive coach, has allowed the offense to be reduced and more conservative every year.....

This is why I always say the best HC's are offensive minds like Walsh and Reid..... most DC's want conservative offenses that let the defenses star and dont put defense in bad position.....

The greatest dynasties have offensive minds at HC, so offenses are stable and consistent year after year.... DC, who have great OC's lose them every year.....to advancement..... guys like Reid call all the plays, and offense stays consistent only gets better over the years.... and most great offensive minds want an aggressive DC ..... like KC has that blitz the crap out of opponent.... which works when your offense scores 30 points per game....

Exceptions are extremely rare like bellycheat, Shula, etc...who wants his offense to be very aggressive......because most DC's are siuper consercvative..... that is only reason prevent defense exists.....

If our offense turns out great next season, we will either promote our OC to HC or we will lose our OC to another team and Herbert has to start all over again with an OC who might be good or bad????....is that a smart way to run a franchise?????
      No. Chuck Noll was a defensive coach, Bill Walsh offensive, Belichick defensive. Those are the 3 greatest dynasties in the NFL. Reid is very good but at best he’s make it 2-2.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

MIchael Spanos is marketing Spanos land to raise capital and turned down a ~$20 million offer. It seems to me the Spanos family is trying to raise cash to save the Spanos trust or maybe pay Herbert ? I don't know. The pending land sale caught Dea by surprise since Michael is not empowered to act as a trustee (Trust fraud claim). My gut suspects Dean kicks the can down the road with a possible team sale looming in 2024 and the NFL's arbitration decision. Can Herbert roll with it if so ? It is sort of messed up to even have to think about it.
        I doubt that could be elevated to a claim of fraud unless MS is actually attempting to sign agreements. Dean probably has the latitude to have him act as an “advisor” without formal trustee designation, then Dean steps in and signs documents shoved under his nose to tie the legal bows. Its just a claim in a lawsuit as of now.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Landry was a defensive coach. Belichick was a defensive coach. Chuck Noll was a defensive coach. There’s a few dynasties. Which dynasties are you talking about? Walsh and who else? Reid hasn’t quite achieved dynasty status, though he could.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Landry was a defensive coach. Belichick was a defensive coach. Chuck Noll was a defensive coach. There’s a few dynasties. Which dynasties are you talking about? Walsh and who else? Reid hasn’t quite achieved dynasty status, though he could.
            I think rule changes in the modern NFL drive the value of a good offensive HC up. In the old days they said 'defense wins championships', and back then that was true. Nowadays not so much, so I'm in agreement that a HC that maximizes the offensive potential of his team is more valuable than a good defensive HC.

If the offense kills it next year Moore will have many opportunities. I hope that situation come to fruition, AND that the Chargers make the correct decision as to who should go forward as HC . . . . . . It may be that Staley would make a good DC without all of the other responsibilities that come with being a HC. But first - Moore has to be successful . . . .

Comment

• Xenos
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Tomdutchy View Post
              Josh Allen was signed after Year 2 and Herbert is coming up on Year 4 of his rookie contract. If Chargers wait until after Year 4, if I were Herbert, I would seriously consider FA and feel Chargers are not committed to him and winning. Tough decisions but if we have to cut high priced players to keep him, we have to. He's a generational player.

Allen's $43M average sounds like peanuts now.

https://overthecap.com/player/josh-allen/6892
              Allen was signed after year 3. You can’t extend a rookie before that year. Just like Herbert is now finally eligible for a contract extension. Like the rest of the 2020 class.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Win a playoff game, and Herbert can start to be considered on Fouts/Rivers level.

Fouts is a HOFer; Herbert has never won a playoff game.
                You extend someone based on future projections. Not what they did or did not do in the past. They shouldn’t wait until Herbert reaches Fouts/Rivers prime level.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I say rip the bandaid off and get rid of stalebread. defense is SUPPOSED to be his savvy but it is bottom of the barrel. Get the OC to be HC and get a different DC, one that actually knows DC'ing for years...not for ONE year on a stacked Rams' D.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I say rip the bandaid off and get rid of stalebread. defense is SUPPOSED to be his savvy but it is bottom of the barrel. Get the OC to be HC and get a different DC, one that actually knows DC'ing for years...not for ONE year on a stacked Rams' D.
                    Staley has his 3rd year so I'm rooting against this scenario.
                    BUT
                    If his defense fails this season, and our offense ended top 3 in the league, I'd grow respect for the Spanos if they pulled this move off.
                    In this scenario, I hope we would move on from Staley and it only makes sense to include Moore as a candidate.
                    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

Too late now. They had Sean Payton salivating to coach this team and didn’t make the move. Now we’re stuck with the guy.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                        Dea Spanos my HERO
                        • Dec 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I doubt that could be elevated to a claim of fraud unless MS is actually attempting to sign agreements. Dean probably has the latitude to have him act as an “advisor” without formal trustee designation, then Dean steps in and signs documents shoved under his nose to tie the legal bows. Its just a claim in a lawsuit as of now.

Just read the 1st page of the Dea Spanos lawsuit above if you want to see the family dirty laundry details abbreviated. To my knowledge that above lawsuit link has never been posted on this site (I did in another thread).

Indeed Michael had attempted to get a "listing agreement" signed as an "illegal" trustee for a multi million dollar piece of Spanos land and Dea found out about it on a "tip". This precipitated paperwork for Dea's immediate signature as the legal trustee authorized to sign anything trust related. This tidbit is in the lawsuit and way more. Hell Dea is not permitted to sit in the team's luxury box because Dean has deemed it so (the petty shit). Dean did arrange for comparable seats (how nice). The lawsuit is way beyond that little stunt by Michael. When the co-trustee (Dean) refused to come up with a plan to remedy trust insolvency, the co-trustee (Dea) had little choice to sue or be sued by the heirs for Breaches of Trust. F'n Dean forced Dea's hand otherwise Dea is just as culpable legally. Dea hired the best legal firm IMHO to go for the jugular and win which means Dea will control 51% of the team - and - sell. The NFL's arbitration for ownership issues I did find out is "Binding" and is in the NFL's By-Laws. I suspect we find out the details of arbitration this year. My gut says the NFL has had their fill of the budget minded spam sandwich Spanos clan.The Dea vs. Dean thread has more details I fleshed out after reading the 365 page lawsuit.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

Just read the 1st page of the Dea Spanos lawsuit above if you want to see the family dirty laundry details abbreviated. To my knowledge that above lawsuit link has never been posted on this site (I did in another thread).

Indeed Michael had attempted to get a "listing agreement" signed as an "illegal" trustee for a multi million dollar piece of Spanos land and Dea found out about it on a "tip". This precipitated paperwork for Dea's immediate signature as the legal trustee authorized to sign anything trust related. This tidbit is in the lawsuit and way more. Hell Dea is not permitted to sit in the team's luxury box because Dean has deemed it so (the petty shit). Dean did arrange for comparable seats (how nice). The lawsuit is way beyond that little stunt by Michael. When the co-trustee (Dean) refused to come up with a plan to remedy trust insolvency, the co-trustee (Dea) had little choice to sue or be sued by the heirs for Breaches of Trust. F'n Dean forced Dea's hand otherwise Dea is just as culpable legally. Dea hired the best legal firm IMHO to go for the jugular and win which means Dea will control 51% of the team - and - sell. The NFL's arbitration for ownership issues I did find out is "Binding" and is in the NFL's By-Laws. I suspect we find out the details of arbitration this year. My gut says the NFL has had their fill of the budget minded spam sandwich Spanos clan.The Dea vs. Dean thread has more details I fleshed out after reading the 365 page lawsuit.
                          The first page is her summarized allegation, it doesn’t describe any actual actions or events to underpin the allegation.

What page does she present evidence that Michael illegally acted with the authorities of a Trustee, vs my hypothesis maybe he acted as an agent of a trustee (e.g. Dean)? All I saw in the first few pages is she alleges he presented himself to a body as a trustee - thats not enough on its face. I got up to about pg 25 and the actual illegal conduct was not yet decribed but since you are the town expert and know the entire document with legal precision, i figured I’d save time and ask you

Comment

Working...
                          X