• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Definitive progress instead of window slowly closing

Granted, it’s a complex process building a competitive potential winner. But this team’s approach seems to me to always be trying to tweak each season to get lucky with their latest “package” to deliver on all fronts. They build each years team with various change hits and misses hoping to get the magic combination. Reminds me of baseball’s Florida Marlins who assembled all the right pieces that ONE year to win the World Series. 3 months later they held a huge fire sale and poof! I admire an owner and GM who systematically and gradually builds a team without tweaking it each season going for the big prize (that year). It seems gone are the days when a team didn’t tweak the hell outta a roster each year hoping that they tweaked it right THAT year. Again I say, there are so so many variables now (cap space, FA, who to keep, who to let go…etc). It’s almost a wild crapshoot these days. Modern football…Spin that wheel! Roll them dice! It don’t work out? There’s always next year! “Window Closing.” Faster than in the past. Just saying.
    Rivers was here forever, window started closing. Herbert the same? Here forever and window closing? Heh…what happened? End: Op Ed.
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
    Granted, it’s a complex process building a competitive potential winner. But this team’s approach seems to me to always be trying to tweak each season to get lucky with their latest “package” to deliver on all fronts. They build each years team with various change hits and misses hoping to get the magic combination. Reminds me of baseball’s Florida Marlins who assembled all the right pieces that ONE year to win the World Series. 3 months later they held a huge fire sale and poof! I admire an owner and GM who systematically and gradually builds a team without tweaking it each season going for the big prize (that year). It seems gone are the days when a team didn’t tweak the hell outta a roster each year hoping that they tweaked it right THAT year. Again I say, there are so so many variables now (cap space, FA, who to keep, who to let go…etc). It’s almost a wild crapshoot these days. Modern football…Spin that wheel! Roll them dice! It don’t work out? There’s always next year! “Window Closing.” Faster than in the past. Just saying.
    Rivers was here forever, window started closing. Herbert the same? Here forever and window closing? Heh…what happened? End: Op Ed.
    This offseason will show me if the Chargers are pushing a one year push or realizing with herbert the window is wide open for the next 5 years if they are smart about things from a cap perspective

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Telesco is a high IQ guy with a long NFL background.
      He has, in the past, been so reluctant to spend on FAs that many fans wanted him gone.
      For the last two years he has shocked fans with quality FA signings and drafted top OL.
      With no thought to the future? Seems most unlikely.
      This fan is looking forward to the 2023 NFL season.
      Not much into "Days of Our (nfl) Lives" off-season drama.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
        He has, in the past, been so reluctant to spend on FAs that many fans wanted him gone.
        For the last two years he has shocked fans with quality FA signings and drafted top OL.
        With no thought to the future? Seems most unlikely.
        This fan is looking forward to the 2023 NFL season.
        Not much into "Days of Our (nfl) Lives" off-season drama.
        As long as Herbert is our QB (and healthy) our window is open. It remains to be seen whether TT and Co can build enough around him (players AND coaching) to challenge for a ring consistently.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

As long as Herbert is our QB (and healthy) our window is open. It remains to be seen whether TT and Co can build enough around him (players AND coaching) to challenge for a ring consistently.
          This is exactly right on both counts. Herbert can be your franchise QB - I think he has shown enough that is. But can Telesco keep adding to the roster every year to keep the team competitive along with coaching. Telesco needs to draft better - simple as that

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is exactly right on both counts. Herbert can be your franchise QB - I think he has shown enough that is. But can Telesco keep adding to the roster every year to keep the team competitive along with coaching. Telesco needs to draft better - simple as that
            We need to hit more often on rd3 and on, particularly now that we're drafting after 20.

Comment

• Rugger05
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

We need to hit more often on rd3 and on, particularly now that we're drafting after 20.
              This is the key to me right here. Need to get better at drafting after round 2. The amount of players that sign their second contract with the Chargers who were not first round picks is dreadful. That needs to change if they want to keep moving forward. They need to sign Pipkins and possibly Tranquill. We shall see how the off-season shapes up

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

This is the key to me right here. Need to get better at drafting after round 2. The amount of players that sign their second contract with the Chargers who were not first round picks is dreadful. That needs to change if they want to keep moving forward. They need to sign Pipkins and possibly Tranquill. We shall see how the off-season shapes up
                Agree except for having to sign Tanq or Pip.If we can draft better especially at RT then I say do it.17th ranked O line last year.I know Pip was hurt but I care about winning and if ya cant stay healthy then ya get replaced.Superbowl team's O line was ranked 1st and 2nd

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

Its just not about the second contract - which is important. Its about getting productivity from those players drafted in Rounds 3-5 (forget 6 and 7) - that are on cheap contracts for four years that allow you some cap flexibility. The Chargers had to sign players in free agency as so often, Tommy and JOhn Boy missed on draft picks.

And even this year, there is talk of drafting a TE. Well they drafted TE two years ago. Drafting a WR - they drafted Palmer two years ago. Need more Edge depth - they drafted Rumph two years ago. They drafted Jaimes - he hasn't shown anything. Palmer is the best one - but he is looking like a WR3 at best.

Fine, Jaimes was Round 5 but Palmer and McKitty were Round 3; Rumph in Round 4; JT Woods - Round 3. That is valuable draft capital

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Nah, all the good moves the last two years were because of Staley. The improvement of the OL and the acquisition of quality contributors were because of him. People are calling for his head and want him gone. When Telesco makes the moves, he gets players who are past their prime.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Nah, all the good moves the last two years were because of Staley. The improvement of the OL and the acquisition of quality contributors were because of him. People are calling for his head and want him gone. When Telesco makes the moves, he gets players who are past their prime.
                      No point in arguing that. We are a more talented team with a better OL under TT/ Staley. Injuries were a major issue and we still made the playoffs.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

I think TT takes reasonable players in every round except round 3. Those round 3 reaches are a problem. I still don’t see last year’s reach at S as being able to play this year. He has speed but no strength and poor tackling skills. He may be another 4 year project. Did he go 4 years in college without lifting a weight?

As for rounds 5-7, develop seems to be missing from the draft and develop philosophy.

Overall, TT is a middling GM. A JAG.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X