• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

They are similar in that they one dimensional backs that excel at what they do. Ek has the edge in value because the passing game is valued over the running game in todays NFL so the pass catching back is a bit more valuable than the short yardage back.
    Disagree. Williams does one thing, run for short gains and score TDs. And that was a career year for him last year, he will never score that much again. He doesnt have the consistency of Ekler.

Ekler scores alot of TDs every year and is a way better and more dangerous all around player than Williams.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
      The rumors getting old.

It is simple, the Chargers have set a price for another team if they want him. Say a "third"
      They either get that or Ek comes back to finish his final year. If that happens, we have a year to replace him and still get a compensatory pick when he leaves.

Why we have a 50-page thread on this is crazy.
      Change your settings and will 'only' be a 17-page thread.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Eric Weddle and Melvin Gordon would like a word about how one responds after not getting a new contract. The Chargers do have time to see how he responds with OTA, minicamps. I will say this - if he holds out - I just cut him or trade him
        Ekeler is a smart guy. He’s finding out his value is not what he thought. I can’t see a hold in. I look forward to him returning.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Ekeler is a smart guy. He’s finding out his value is not what he thought. I can’t see a hold in. I look forward to him returning.
          I agree. I don't believe Ekeler is going to hold in or out. He's not that type of person. I also agree that he's probably learning that teams aren't going to give up picks and offer him the contract he's seeking. I believe Ekeler is under-paid. I'd be thrilled if he and the Chargers can work out a deal that pays him a little more money that makes both sides happy.

One thing about Ekeler, he is going to be a wealthy man for the rest of his life no matter what he gets paid. Unlike the vast majority of players whose biggest earnings come during their playing years, Ekeler is going to take what he earns in the NFL and turn into a much bigger fortune through investments, businesses, etc. He's very intelligent and savvy and doesn't throw away his money. He talks about his finances to some extent on Instagram.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Here is a question - -what scenario makes the Chargers better

JJ3 (4m cap hit), Isiah McKenzie (2.25m cap hit) and Chase Edmonds for the minimum
            or
            Austin Ekeler (6.25m of salary) and Deandre Carter for the minimim

the latter, and hands down....
            RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Moving murray would pay for troy reeder and callahn returns…they have to know by now that they drafted a player with god awful football IQ, either that or murray just biding his time to go elsewhere, either way he is a weak link on defense and should be moved preferrably via trade, they already decided not to excersise his option so why prolong the problem? Cutting or trading K9 creates as much cap space as extending michael davis around 2.5 mil a piece…
              hadn't thought of that.... nice notion,

think we could get a sixth for K9, and think Reeder got a bum rap in the 'Niner game, as yes he got beat on a deep pass to their RB, but how many points did SF have @that half ??

and beginning to think we're not gonna resign Callahan, and as I thought he was a ridiculous risk going into last season, we got lucky and he played injury free football.... would love to have another duplicate season like that outta him.

still need to draft LB & CB tho, and.... nice suggestion.
              RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Austin has shown he can do without training camp, and so won't be surprised if this drags on thru the such....

don't think he's going to be a distraction nor a malcontent. do think he is looking for $10m/year or thereabouts, and doubt Telesco for one, has much of a problem with that.

do think the guaranteed monies prolly have something to do w/any impasse, and rightfully so, if I'm the Chargers.

would sign him to an extension for three years, w/the last year voidable.

Bijan is not gonna be a Charger.... he could well be the best player outta this draft.

Austin only has himself to blame.... he took the cheese and got on national SB tv, and claimed to the world that he thought of himself as a bellcow back.... straight outta his (soon to be unemployed by AE) agent's mouth.

and prolly nothing will happen as long as there are a plethora of backs in this year's draft, and for pennies on the dollar as compared to Ek's contract demands/wishes, albeit find it hard to believe that there aren't @least a coupla few teams that wouldn't cough up a measley draft pick or coupla few for a bona fide big time producer @scatback.... Ekeler is very valuable in today's NFL.

do think he returns as a Charger, plays out his contract and gets overpaid somewhere else after that, and.... do think we shoulda extended him (along w/Mike D.)

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Are there any credible reports of teams or a team being interest in him? I haven’t seen a single one
                  Washington Commandos and the Bengals are two that I heard
                  I think WFT signed a RB though
                  Bengals still have Mixon

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

We all thought this would happen to help lower the cap overage, there were rumors that they were working on one…but now the longer there’s no news I’m beginning to think his extension suffered the same fate as ekeler’s…
                    well, whatever the thinking was that left Mike D. in the dust and on the bench to start last season.... seems to be persisting ??

Stalesco is already married @the hip to JC Jack, and wouldn't be surprised if they are prioritizing CB in the draft.... ??

know a lotta peoples here like Staley as a personnel guy, and me.... not so sure ??

same guy that had Mike D. as an afterthought last year, had Storm penciled in ahead of Jamaree, and possibly Pips as well ?? also retained the both of Daniels and Stick @QB, and which was no help to Justin when he had to endure the KC jailbreak, and.... the jury is still out on the likes of JT Woods, McKitty, and Ja'Sir/Deane Leonard.

on the flip side team Tommy John/Stalesco has more than a coupla few feathers in their cap of late.... most notably bringing in the both of Mack 'n Callahan and getting an injury free season outta the both of 'em.... Van Noy, Fox, AJ 'n Bash, sticking w/Kelley, drafting Zion, sticking w/Alohi, and prolly another coupla few as well, and.... Mike D. hasn't been one of 'em, as do think, like Ek, 'twould be the wiser to extend him ??

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Washington Commandos and the Bengals are two that I heard
                      I think WFT signed a RB though
                      Bengals still have Mixon
                      If they have , sportrac hasn't listed it.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
                      181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                      225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        Austin has shown he can do without training camp, and so won't be surprised if this drags on thru the such....

don't think he's going to be a distraction nor a malcontent. do think he is looking for $10m/year or thereabouts, and doubt Telesco for one, has much of a problem with that.

do think the guaranteed monies prolly have something to do w/any impasse, and rightfully so, if I'm the Chargers.

would sign him to an extension for three years, w/the last year voidable.

Bijan is not gonna be a Charger.... he could well be the best player outta this draft.

Austin only has himself to blame.... he took the cheese and got on national SB tv, and claimed to the world that he thought of himself as a bellcow back.... straight outta his (soon to be unemployed by AE) agent's mouth.

and prolly nothing will happen as long as there are a plethora of backs in this year's draft, and for pennies on the dollar as compared to Ek's contract demands/wishes, albeit find it hard to believe that there aren't @least a coupla few teams that wouldn't cough up a measley draft pick or coupla few for a bona fide big time producer @scatback.... Ekeler is very valuable in today's NFL.

do think he returns as a Charger, plays out his contract and gets overpaid somewhere else after that, and.... do think we shoulda extended him (along w/Mike D.)

like, 3rd round compensation pick, kind of over paid?
                        Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

well, whatever the thinking was that left Mike D. in the dust and on the bench to start last season.... seems to be persisting ??

Stalesco is already married @the hip to JC Jack, and wouldn't be surprised if they are prioritizing CB in the draft.... ??

know a lotta peoples here like Staley as a personnel guy, and me.... not so sure ??

same guy that had Mike D. as an afterthought last year, had Storm penciled in ahead of Jamaree, and possibly Pips as well ?? also retained the both of Daniels and Stick @QB, and which was no help to Justin when he had to endure the KC jailbreak, and.... the jury is still out on the likes of JT Woods, McKitty, and Ja'Sir/Deane Leonard.

on the flip side team Tommy John/Stalesco has more than a coupla few feathers in their cap of late.... most notably bringing in the both of Mack 'n Callahan and getting an injury free season outta the both of 'em.... Van Noy, Fox, AJ 'n Bash, sticking w/Kelley, drafting Zion, sticking w/Alohi, and prolly another coupla few as well, and.... Mike D. hasn't been one of 'em, as do think, like Ek, 'twould be the wiser to extend him ??
                          I think Staley's better at drafting than he is at coaching . . . . . Maybe he should move up to GM when Moore gets elevated to HC?

Comment

Working...
                          X