• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Apparently Ekler has irritated a few Charger fans with his latest tweet.

Fans haven't been too happy with Austin Ekeler after he requested a trade from the LA Chargers. Ekeler is not making things better on social media, either.

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Fans haven't been too happy with Austin Ekeler after he requested a trade from the LA Chargers. Ekeler is not making things better on social media, either.

Very bad look for EK. If he reports and comes back, it will be with his tail between his legs. He might as well pick-up Joey's helmet on the way in. I would trade him now for what ever you can get. Do not want a repeat of MGIII.

Comment

• LarryAW
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Disagree. Williams does one thing, run for short gains and score TDs. And that was a career year for him last year, he will never score that much again. He doesnt have the consistency of Ekler.

Ekler scores alot of TDs every year and is a way better and more dangerous all around player than Williams.
        The issue isn't Ekeler - It's not having a big, 3rd-down power back who can consistently get tough 1st downs inside. While Ekeler has a YPC of 4.5, if you eliminate his 5+ runs (or even start at 7+), you'll see just how ineffective he is the rest of the time. He's an excellent homerun back and receiving back, who needs a big-back complement to take the load off. Neither Kelley, Spiller, nor Rountree fit that bill.

If we used Michael Turner to wear down defenses, how do you think all of those tough, inside runs affect Ekeler?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

The issue isn't Ekeler - It's not having a big, 3rd-down power back who can consistently get tough 1st downs inside. While Ekeler has a YPC of 4.5, if you eliminate his 5+ runs (or even start at 7+), you'll see just how ineffective he is the rest of the time. He's an excellent homerun back and receiving back, who needs a big-back complement to take the load off. Neither Kelley, Spiller, nor Rountree fit that bill.

If we used Michael Turner to wear down defenses, how do you think all of those tough, inside runs affect Ekeler?
          Oh i agree, we need a bigger back that can run inside and pick up tough yards when needed. Just not a huge fan of Williams

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

He's being doing this stuff long before the issue. Sorry but I don't see the big deal here. Fans are getting too emotional. It's simple really.
            He wants a deal the Chargers are not willing to grant. For that matter no other team. He either finds a happy medium, sit it out or play out
            his contract. No need for drama at this point. Ekeler and the Chargers have done no wrong. Now if starts holding out the narrative changes.
            We are not there just yet.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Not this charger fan.
              can't imagine someone being upset at such a benign tweet.
              Ekeler hate and criticism is out of control.
              and this coming from a guy who absolutely hated the Keenan Allen tweet that I thought went cowardly, under criticized.

Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Tbone33101
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Gordon was out primary RB in 17, 18, and 19. Ekeler only played in 10 games in 2020. Your premise is completely false. Lombardi's offense did not scheme around Ekeler.
                Ekeler's first year of playing 16 or more games and being the featured back came under Lombardi. That's why the sudden up tick in yards, yards receiving and TDs.

In fact Herbert's best statistical year passing was in 2021 under Lombardi. In that year Williams gained 1146 yards receiving, Allen 1138 yards receiving. The offense hardly ran
                through Ekeler although he did catch over 600 yards that year.

2022 was the year of injury and Herbert, not Lombardi relied more heavily on Ekeler since
                a) He had ribs injuries for part of the year.
                b) Both Allen and Williams not available in the same game for pretty much all season.
                c) Injury to our O line which made for terrible run and pass blocking (especially when teams blitzed.)

Thus Herbert used Ekeler as his safety valve.

And no Ekeler and Williams are in no way shape or form the same. Ekeler ran for over 900 yards with terrible O line blocking plus over 700 yards receiving. If anything
                he is a multi-dimensional RB. Williams is not.
                couldn’t agree more, his uptick in production was when he became the primary back. You would have a tough time finding a RB who has produced more than him since then.

Comment

• LarryAW
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Very bad look for EK. If he reports and comes back, it will be with his tail between his legs. He might as well pick-up Joey's helmet on the way in. I would trade him now for what ever you can get. Do not want a repeat of MGIII.
                  Me, either. Telesco's mistake wasn't in elevating Ekeler after MGIII left, it was not adding a complement big back to get tough yards inside. He didn't even need to replace MGIII with a complete back. Ekeler is nearly that, except for tough yards inside with little, to no, space.

Replacing Ekeler without another smaller back, will probably result in a downgrade, and won't improve our inside-running game. If Michael Turner wore down defenses, don't tell me defenses don't wear down Ekeler when he's forced to run inside. In a perfect world, the OL stays healthy, doesn't suffer breakdowns, and your top 2 WRs play together for more than 4 games. We're Chargers fans.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Not this charger fan.
                    and this coming from a guy who absolutely hated the Keenan Allen tweet that I thought went cowardly, under criticized.
                    People are just looking for shit to be butt hurt about. Social media - the worst invention ever.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Not this charger fan.
                      I dont have a real issue with it myself. i just posted it for interest sake. I guess some fans would rather he focus on winning a playoff game where he got 35 yards rather then worry about his fantasy stats which come across as a bit me first

He didnt say he was working out to come back stronger and get it rght in the playoffs, he said he was working out to be the #1 Fantasy RB

All good fun to me as i am a serious FF player, but the optics are a bit untimely after a ruuning game debacle in his last game when it really counted and was really needed for something more important than FF.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I dont have a real issue with it myself. i just posted it for interest sake. I guess some fans would rather he focus on winning a playoff game where he got 35 yards rather then worry about his fantasy stats which come across as a bit me first

He didnt say he was working out to come back stronger and get it rght in the playoffs, he said he was working out to be the #1 Fantasy RB

All good fun to me as i am a serious FF player, but the optics are a bit untimely after a ruuning game debacle in his last game when it really counted and was really needed for something more important than FF.
                        He seems a little too focused on his fantasy stats to me. Not the worst thing but I would have preferred he focused on working out to win playoff games

I could give a shit if he is good in fantasy. And again, if he is a top fantasy RB in 2023- the Chargers offense won't be good. Its too bad the trade market for him disappeared - I was pretty excited about it

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

You can make the case that if he puts up big fantasy numbers than the Charger O is moving the ball and scoring.

Comment

Working...
                          X