• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

GET REAL!!! Total BS about “honor your contract.”These aren’t balanced contracts, they are skewed in favor of the teams. The teams can cut players and end the contract whenever they want. Ek is approaching it the right way. He’s played under the contract that he signed and has been as reliable and valuable as any player on the team. He hasn’t bitched and complained about it. He continues to work his ass off and be a model player and person. This is the time that EVERY player works with their team on extensions. He’s sitting here with one year left and no guaranteed money. He’d be foolish to not be working with the team on contract extension. The two sides don’t agree on what the $$ should be for the extension, so they let Ek explore the market. I actually think both sides are approaching it professionally and I expect they will figure it out. Ek is a class act and is the type of player and person you want to keep around.
    I hate this argument. Players know exactly what the minimum amount of money they will get and what the maximum amount of money they could possibly get will be before they sign their contract. There are no surprises for anyone. Players are also paid for future performance, not past performance. The reality is that Ekeler is a guy who is getting dangerously close to the age when most RBs start to fall off and plays a position that isn't highly valued by the league. He is just not going to get double the salary from anyone who will have to give up compensation on top of the contract.

I'm happy that neither the Chargers nor Ekeler have burned any public bridges and I expect he comes back and plays out his contract and tests free agency again next year. And being a year older in a position not highly valued won't help his case - but teams won't have to give up compensation to get him so he'll like get a deal somewhere.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I hate this argument. Players know exactly what the minimum amount of money they will get and what the maximum amount of money they could possibly get will be before they sign their contract. There are no surprises for anyone. Players are also paid for future performance, not past performance. The reality is that Ekeler is a guy who is getting dangerously close to the age when most RBs start to fall off and plays a position that isn't highly valued by the league. He is just not going to get double the salary from anyone who will have to give up compensation on top of the contract.

I'm happy that neither the Chargers nor Ekeler have burned any public bridges and I expect he comes back and plays out his contract and tests free agency again next year. And being a year older in a position not highly valued won't help his case - but teams won't have to give up compensation to get him so he'll like get a deal somewhere.
      Well stated

Ekeler was probably underpaid the last two years - and through not fault of his own - -the statistics outplayed his contract. But for this season, his numbers will be in line with the salary he will receives this year. I get Ekeler asking though - why not. Because to your point - he knows his numbers will drop this year and he will be a year old less in line to get even 7m AAV a year from now let alone 10+

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Well stated

Ekeler was probably underpaid the last two years - and through not fault of his own - -the statistics outplayed his contract. But for this season, his numbers will be in line with the salary he will receives this year. I get Ekeler asking though - why not. Because to your point - he knows his numbers will drop this year and he will be a year old less in line to get even 7m AAV a year from now let alone 10+
        His production has exceeded his contract and I do not begrudge him asking to test the market. It just didn't workout like he hoped. If he comes back and plays out his contract without pulling a Melvin Gordon I'll be happy. It will be disappointing If he goes full mercenary and holds out.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

His production has exceeded his contract and I do not begrudge him asking to test the market. It just didn't workout like he hoped. If he comes back and plays out his contract without pulling a Melvin Gordon I'll be happy. It will be disappointing If he goes full mercenary and holds out.
          Its a tricky slope - but if he holds out like Gordon did - just move on. But they have time for that

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Except....if Ekeler holds out it eats up salary cap that could be used to improve the team this year. That is really his only leverage. The Chargers hold all the other cards.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Except....if Ekeler holds out it eats up salary cap that could be used to improve the team this year. That is really his only leverage. The Chargers hold all the other cards.

TG
              6m could help with a QB extension and possibly even a bit towards JJ3
              but that seems like that ship has sailed at the moment for JJ3

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Its a tricky slope - but if he holds out like Gordon did - just move on. But they have time for that
                I stopped believing the "love for the game" thing. Most players only care about the money.

If Ekeler holds out it would be ironic.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I stopped believing the "love for the game" thing. Most players only care about the money.

He should be playing for money. Stupid if he isn't
                  And he had every right to ask for more money - not faulting him at all

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The problem being love doesn't buy you money. You can love the game but you still need the money.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

He should be playing for money. Stupid if he isn't
                      And he had every right to ask for more money - not faulting him at all
                      Agree, he isn't getting more than this so hold out, you just lose over 6 mil only to get around the same deal in 2024.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree, he isn't getting more than this so hold out, you just lose over 6 mil only to get around the same deal in 2024.
                        The Chargers deal - granted not sure how much it was - but my guess was probably a bit more cash this year and extension for next year - might be the best deal he would have gotten

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

The Chargers deal - granted not sure how much it was - but my guess was probably a bit more cash this year and extension for next year - might be the best deal he would have gotten
                          Likely that deal gets tweaked a bit, he signs, done.

Comment

Working...
                          X