• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

like, 3rd round compensation pick, kind of over paid?
    6-7 mil a year isn't bringing a 3rd round comp. 5th-6th more likely. Looks like 6-7 is gonna be his cieling going by this year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I think Staley's better at drafting than he is at coaching . . . . . Maybe he should move up to GM when Moore gets elevated to HC?
      He also was around the Rams who spend like drunken sailors. We have never spent like this and shoved money into next season like they did. It's nice to be all in but you don't want to have a bad cap situation either where you may be in rebuild mode likenthe Rams are heading.
      Granted they did win a SB which is what we want but tough road ahead after last year's tough road.

Not sure I'd want Staley as our GM. We'll see how it goes this year.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He also was around the Rams who spend like drunken sailors. We have never spent like this and shoved money into next season like they did. It's nice to be all in but you don't want to have a bad cap situation either where you may be in rebuild mode likenthe Rams are heading.
        Granted they did win a SB which is what we want but tough road ahead after last year's tough road.

Staley as GM was tongue in cheek - just looking for something he's good at besides coach speak.

I think they're OK. As has been mentioned in other threads they've avoided the 'voidable years' which has gotten other teams (Saints) into so much trouble, but others can speak to this much better than I can. The Rams are in real trouble; they've gutted their team and will lose their QB in the next couple of years at the most. I hope that SB was worth it.

Look to see McVay flee the sinking ship in the next year or two, a la Sean Payton.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

In my pre-coffee stupor I read an article this morning proposing a trade with Chicago that netted us a 2 (#61)? and a sweetener of a 4th or a 5th. Seemed steep for an RB, but a 2 and a 4 I would take if he is disgruntled. In a New York minute......

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
            In my pre-coffee stupor I read an article this morning proposing a trade with Chicago that netted us a 2 (#61)? and a sweetener of a 4th or a 5th. Seemed steep for an RB, but a 2 and a 4 I would take if he is disgruntled. In a New York minute......
            Brandin Cooks - who makes 18m looks like it will cost the the Cowboys a 5/6 plus 12 as Houston will pay 6m

Maybe the Chargers offer to pay a third of the salary for a higher pick. But right now, Ekeler is worth like a 5th

I doubt he gets traded but I would do something like Ek/5 for a late 3rd or early 4th

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
              I would do that trade in a heartbeat. I just have a real hard time thinking a team will take on his salary and extend him for what he wants, while also giving us anything other than token compensation.

Comment

• Budsman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Disagree. Williams does one thing, run for short gains and score TDs. And that was a career year for him last year, he will never score that much again. He doesnt have the consistency of Ekler.

Ekler scores alot of TDs every year and is a way better and more dangerous all around player than Williams.
                False, Austin Ekeler scores a lot of touchdowns when Lombardi throws the ball 700 times in a season.

Ekeler TD Totals
                year Rec. rushing
                17 3. 2
                18 3. 3
                19 8. 3
                20 2. 1
                21 8. 12
                22 5. 13
                https://www.pro-football-reference.c...E/EkelAu00.htm

Guess what happened in 21, Lombardi came in schemed a passing offense around Ekeler. He is a scheme fit running back and is not a 3 down plug and play back.

Sure Ekeler is better and more valuable than Williams I already admitted that in my original post but they are similar in that they excel in specific roles not both. I’m sure if Williams was the bell cow back and had a coach who force fed him passes as well as runs (even though he’s sub par at passes) he would score more much like Ekeler did under Lombardi.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

The cap is a scam. I guarantee you somehow the Chargers will make it work next year and put a very good team on the field again with money to spend in FA. Teams have figured out the cap and imho it’s just a number used for the fans.

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Staley as GM was tongue in cheek - just looking for something he's good at besides coach speak.

I think they're OK. As has been mentioned in other threads they've avoided the 'voidable years' which has gotten other teams (Saints) into so much trouble, but others can speak to this much better than I can. The Rams are in real trouble; they've gutted their team and will lose their QB in the next couple of years at the most. I hope that SB was worth it.

Look to see McVay flee the sinking ship in the next year or two, a la Sean Payton.
                    I would take that trade.

howie mandel dancing GIF by Deal Or No Deal

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

False, Austin Ekeler scores a lot of touchdowns when Lombardi throws the ball 700 times in a season.

Ekeler TD Totals
                      year Rec. rushing
                      17 3. 2
                      18 3. 3
                      19 8. 3
                      20 2. 1
                      21 8. 12
                      22 5. 13
                      https://www.pro-football-reference.c...E/EkelAu00.htm

Guess what happened in 21, Lombardi came in schemed a passing offense around Ekeler. He is a scheme fit running back and is not a 3 down plug and play back.

Sure Ekeler is better and more valuable than Williams I already admitted that in my original post but they are similar in that they excel in specific roles not both. I’m sure if Williams was the bell cow back and had a coach who force fed him passes as well as runs (even though he’s sub par at passes) he would score more much like Ekeler did under Lombardi.
                      Gordon was out primary RB in 17, 18, and 19. Ekeler only played in 10 games in 2020. Your premise is completely false. Lombardi's offense did not scheme around Ekeler.
                      Ekeler's first year of playing 16 or more games and being the featured back came under Lombardi. That's why the sudden up tick in yards, yards receiving and TDs.

In fact Herbert's best statistical year passing was in 2021 under Lombardi. In that year Williams gained 1146 yards receiving, Allen 1138 yards receiving. The offense hardly ran
                      through Ekeler although he did catch over 600 yards that year.

2022 was the year of injury and Herbert, not Lombardi relied more heavily on Ekeler since
                      a) He had ribs injuries for part of the year.
                      b) Both Allen and Williams not available in the same game for pretty much all season.
                      c) Injury to our O line which made for terrible run and pass blocking (especially when teams blitzed.)

Thus Herbert used Ekeler as his safety valve.

And no Ekeler and Williams are in no way shape or form the same. Ekeler ran for over 900 yards with terrible O line blocking plus over 700 yards receiving. If anything
                      he is a multi-dimensional RB. Williams is not.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2021
                        • Carlsbad, CA
                        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                        • Send PM

Staley can be pretty positive; I'd be ok with him doing ticket sales or concessions in 2024 (or sooner).

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Staley can be pretty positive; I'd be ok with him doing ticket sales or concessions in 2024 (or sooner).
                          There you go - I knew we'd come up with something he can do well!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍