• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Let's say that's true. Is it something to be excited about? A marginal upgrade - if it is - is all we have to show for the off-season, player-wise? Compare this to last year, when we were making a huge splash and, IMO, warranted the optimism. So tell me, Swami Dmac, where are we going? If we couldn't do it with the team we had last year, and we haven't made any real improvements, how is "where we're going" any better than where we've been? Did I miss Span-Ass selling the team and the new owner hiring a competent GM with a qualified HC? Or do you really expect Tommy T to nail all of our draft picks from our bottom 12 position in each round? Has that been his track record? What makes you think that it's suddenly going to change? Hope? Faith (in what)? Because it's "our time"? All of which defines Pollyanna-ism.

Most of the Pollyannas ignore what a history of losing - and a meddling ownership - can do to a team's performance, year-in and year-out. The rear view is all too similar to the front view, because the same guy owns the car, the car is in disrepair, the 'mechanic' (ie GM) hasn't been able to fix it, and the guy behind the wheel (HC) is a shitty driver.
    Reality is that we were 10-7 with multiple injuries to very good players (Slater, KA, JCJ, Bosa). I'm not sure a realist would blame the owner (whom I hate), the GM, and the coach for that.
    With a minute amount of luck, we won't have the injury debacle we had last year. I expect that is worth at least 1 more win to a realist... maybe 2 more wins.

I think it's realistic to assume that Slater back @LT and Salyer replacing Feiler @LG will make our OL better.
    Realistically, I don't see losing Tranquill as a setback. I think most realists see Kendricks as an upgrade.
    Fox is back. I think he was an upgrade over Tillery.

The only realistic concerns I have are a need @slot corner and a concern @free safety.
    If TT addresses those concerns via FA or draft... I think we're good to make a run @the Super Bowl.
    Obviously we need depth @DE, WR, and RB. But I don't think it's un-realistic to think we can't/won't address that in the draft.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Reality is that we were 10-7 with multiple injuries to very good players (Slater, KA, JCJ, Bosa). I'm not sure a realist would blame the owner (whom I hate), the GM, and the coach for that.
      With a minute amount of luck, we won't have the injury debacle we had last year. I expect that is worth at least 1 more win to a realist... maybe 2 more wins.

I think it's realistic to assume that Slater back @LT and Salyer replacing Feiler @LG will make our OL better.
      Realistically, I don't see losing Tranquill as a setback. I think most realists see Kendricks as an upgrade.

The only realistic concerns I have are a need @slot corner and a concern @free safety.
      If TT addresses those concerns via FA or draft... I think we're good to make a run @the Super Bowl.
      Obviously we need depth @DE, WR, and RB. But I don't think it's un-realistic to think we can't/won't address that in the draft.
      I think we really need a real HC . . . . .

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

In comparing various posts, many of which are low effort or snarky, this is the one that is least detached from reality.

In a world consumed by agenda, thank you for your efforts to keep it real.

YMMV.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

In comparing various posts, many of which are low effort or snarky, this is the one that is least detached from reality.

In a world consumed by agenda, thank you for your efforts to keep it real.

YMMV.
          None of my posts are low effort, thank you. Snarky, for sure; but never low effort!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

None of my posts are low effort, thank you. Snarky, for sure; but never low effort!
            Kendricks can make a better shampoo commercial than Polamalu.

That's a W.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Let's say that's true. Is it something to be excited about? A marginal upgrade - if it is - is all we have to show for the off-season, player-wise? Compare this to last year, when we were making a huge splash and, IMO, warranted the optimism. So tell me, Swami Dmac, where are we going? If we couldn't do it with the team we had last year, and we haven't made any real improvements, how is "where we're going" any better than where we've been? Did I miss Span-Ass selling the team and the new owner hiring a competent GM with a qualified HC? Or do you really expect Tommy T to nail all of our draft picks from our bottom 12 position in each round? Has that been his track record? What makes you think that it's suddenly going to change? Hope? Faith (in what)? Because it's "our time"? All of which defines Pollyanna-ism.

Most of the Pollyannas ignore what a history of losing - and a meddling ownership - can do to a team's performance, year-in and year-out. The rear view is all too similar to the front view, because the same guy owns the car, the car is in disrepair, the 'mechanic' (ie GM) hasn't been able to fix it, and the guy behind the wheel (HC) is a shitty driver.
              I am excited that they
              - get a half dozen+ top players back from IR this year
              - Upgrade the offense with Moore
              - Upgrade the defense with a real coach Ainsley instead of clipboard holding Hill
              - Upgrade ILB for our weakest link of interior rush defense
              - Lost no players of significance

the draft will secure a few exciting new key pieces for the 2023 run now that the OL is solid, and a few savvy KVN type vet signings will augment the roster.

You sigh doom as if we were a 4-13 team. We were 10-7, in every game except 2 (?) and stood toe to toe with our arch foe and SB winner KC twice, one loss only on a lucky fluke 99yd pick. We lost the WC game by one point but you feel we lost by 30. We were not far off, despite suffering the most extreme injury accumulation of any of the contending teams by far. A year of seasoning, better offensive scheme, a year of staley maturation, yada yada - the team is still on the up despite your despair.

you’re the guy that always assumes the most negative interpretation of anything. Sometimes you fabricate negative imaginary scenarios out of thin air and then convince yourself they must be true. It’s either so you won’t be disappointed, or just so you can say i told you so. It’s a sad way to live, but you do you all you want.

Love n peace, brother, I know we have a good team and anything can happen.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I am excited that they
                - Upgrade the defense with a real coach Ainsley instead of clipboard holding Hill

the draft will secure a few exciting new key pieces for the 2023 run now that the OL is solid, and a few savvy KVN type vet signings will augment the roster.

You sigh doom as if we were a 4-13 team. We were 10-7, in every game except 2 (?) and stood toe to toe with our arch foe and SB winner KC twice, one loss only on a lucky fluke 99yd pick. We lost the WC game by one point but you feel we lost by 30. We were not far off, despite suffering the most extreme injury accumulation of any of the contending teams by far. A year of seasoning, better offensive scheme, a year of staley maturation, yada yada - the team is still on the up despite your despair.

you’re the guy that always assumes the most negative interpretation of anything. Sometimes you fabricate negative imaginary scenarios out of thin air and then convince yourself they must be true. It’s either so you won’t be disappointed, or just so you can say i told you so. It’s a sad way to live, but you do you all you want.

Good post. We have an elite young QB, very good talent throughout offense, defense and special teams., several upgrades to coaching staff.

Many don't like owners, GM, HC. Doesn't matter who the players are, how many games we win, no SB trophy we suck and well never be any good.
                Same old crap.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I am excited that they

Once again, my Charger posts are simply that: posts about the Chargers. They are not a portal into my soul; you know nothing about my life to say that posting as I do here is a "sad way to live". I call it like I see it. All the excuses in the world - and they *are* excuses - are not going to turn the tide on what's right in front of us.

As to your points:

- We will get players back...for a while...until the next half dozen go down with injuries. It's inevitable; every team has to deal with it. We just deal with it worse than most because our shitty GM doesn't know how to build depth on the roster.
                  - The jury is out on Moore. He was unceremoniously fired from his previous job and there were a number of people in Dallas who felt he was part of the problem with Prescot/Dallas' offense. To say, as you do, that he automatically upgrades the offense is just classic Pollyanna-ism. What's FAIR and REALISTIC to say is that it remains to be seen. But no, Pollyannas project every move to be positive without any proof.
                  - Ainsley - whoever he is - falls into the same category. How do you KNOW he's a "real" DC, as opposed to (in your words) clipboard holder Hill? He could just as easily be another Hill as another Fangio. But, again, just because the move was made it automatically becomes a positive.
                  - Kendricks' best seasons were three years ago. He's 31, and on the downside of his career. Another fact that gets ignored. But he is CERTAINLY going to improve the rush defense, no questions asked. Right.
                  - We may not have lost any players of significance, but we haven't gained any, either. And no, I don't count Kendricks; his addition is a virtual wash with Tranquil's departure.

None of that is fabricated.

Bottom line: We're going into the season with almost the exact same team we had last year. And we WILL have injuries. If not Slater, then Linsley. If not Bosa, then Mack. If not ASJ, then Vato. Injuries are part of the game, and to hang your hat on the historically inaccurate expectation that the Chargers will escape injury...that's just Pollyanna-ism in spades. I also love how you brush aside the monumental collapse in the WC game, calling it a "one point loss". LOL!! Yeah a 1-point loss after being ahead by 27. What an accomplishment. The only thing that loss prevented was another loss to the Chiefs in the next game, so I guess that is a positive.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Good post. We have an elite young QB, very good talent throughout offense, defense and special teams., several upgrades to coaching staff.

Many don't like owners, GM, HC. Doesn't matter who the players are, how many games we win, no SB trophy we suck and well never be any good.
                    Same old crap.
                    This is true: We won't be any good until the climate/culture changes. Period. The GM is a 10-year failure; the HC is so obviously (to me) in over his head, and the owner is arguably the worst in the entire League. Any group of players, no matter how good, can underachieve if the guys calling the shots suck. That's the Chargers in a nutshell.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

:cartman:

This is true: We won't be any good until the climate/culture changes. Period. The GM is a 10-year failure; the HC is so obviously (to me) in over his head, and the owner is arguably the worst in the entire League. Any group of players, no matter how good, can underachieve if the guys calling the shots suck. That's the Chargers in a nutshell.
                      Exhibit A. :troll:

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                        :cartman:

Exhibit A. :troll:
                        Prove me wrong. Counter my points, above. Or bury your head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy. That's Exhibit B. And classic Pollyanna-ism. You just refuse to even look.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Can’t win against Q, only kick dirt and mutter, year after year, he’s right. Oh well, that’s being a Charger fan!

Comment

Working...
                          X