• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    We don't appear to be in the same discussion. My point was, and is the 2021,'22, '23 Chargers vs Chiefs in those same years..
    9-26-21 LAC 30, KC 24
    12-16-21 KC 34 LAC 28 OT
    9-15-22 KC 27 LAC 24
    11-20-22 KC 30 LAC 27
    In 4 Staley vs Reid games KC was one play better than us 3 times.
    I believe we split 1-1 or win both.games in 2023.
    The odds are good that we will be improved on the injury, personnel and coaching fronts.
    Only one way to settle it, play 2023!
    This is what happens in today's NFL. All the games are close (generally speaking), but the really good teams win 3 of 4, or 7 of 8, etc. etc. It feels like we're close with KC because the scores are close, BUT WE'RE NOT (yet). IMO the talent on the field is fairly equal - I'd give KC the edge in personnel (by a bit). The significant differences are in other areas; ownership, drafting and personnel management, health (strength and training staff?? Luck??), and most of all coaching.

It's not enough for us to compete with KC strictly on a 'player talent' basis - we need to be competitive on all levels.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

This is what happens in today's NFL. All the games are close (generally speaking), but the really good teams win 3 of 4, or 7 of 8, etc. etc. It feels like we're close with KC because the scores are close, BUT WE'RE NOT (yet). IMO the talent on the field is fairly equal - I'd give KC the edge in personnel (by a bit). The significant differences are in other areas; ownership, drafting and personnel management, health (strength and training staff?? Luck??), and most of all coaching.

It's not enough for us to compete with KC strictly on a 'player talent' basis - we need to be competitive on all levels.
      No major disagreement. But I think you are basing current judgement on the past .
      A lot of things, coaches, owner, GM approach to improvement are not what they were. Different people and attitudes are in play at Chargers.
      Kudos to KC for who they are. They are not invincible. We are poised to have a go at their throne in the AFCW.

ps: KC won or lost by more than one score 9 reg sea games in '21. Over 50%.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

No major disagreement. But I think you are basing current judgement on the past .
        A lot of things, coaches, owner, GM approach to improvement are not what they were. Different people and attitudes are in play at Chargers.
        Kudos to KC for who they are. They are not invincible. We are poised to have a go at their throne in the AFCW.
        Atta boy - keep it up . . . . . . I might just wait to jump off the bridge until mid season . . . As long as I don't read too many of QSmokey's posts :freakout:

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Atta boy - keep it up . . . . . . I might just wait to jump off the bridge until mid season . . . As long as I don't read too many of QSmokey's posts :freakout:
          LOL!
          Things change. Sometimes for the better. We've seen it happen.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

LOL!
            Things change. Sometimes for the better. We've seen it happen.
            Agreed. It would be very Charger like for the team to do well next year (when they're not supposed to).

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Agreed. It would be very Charger like for the team to do well next year (when they're not supposed to).
              I dont see any reason why this team wont do well next year. This is still a very good roster and it cant possibly be as injured as it was last year. Lets see this team play together.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Slaley is supposed to know better his roster after 2 years
                The changes to make are more visible
                The draft should be better
                I'm in the train

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

We have a significant difference in drafting and personnel management but fairly equal talent? There’s a trick …
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

We have a significant difference in drafting and personnel management but fairly equal talent? There’s a trick …
                    Every team is different. Main one I see is TT & Staley are entering year 3 working together. Veach & Reid, year 9.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Every team is different. Main one I see is TT & Staley are entering year 3 working together. Veach & Reid, year 9.
                      Agree. Ive said it would be nice to have a HC that can be around for many years instead of swapping them out every 4 years. Makes a difference so i do hope Staley works out. Hate the growing pains but thats what happens with first time HCs we keep hiring.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                      181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                      225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Good point . . . . we're probably not as close on player talent as I thought. Chargers are Chiefs lite.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

There's quite a bit more difference than just time . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X