• Show
Clear All
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

2023 Draft Depth by Position

FYI Here is my quick study again of how the top 3 rounds could look like based on supply and demand with each column explained below.

Available : I took the top 96 players per Draftek rankings big board for the top 3 rounds and summed them for each position. ie there are 11 DL in the top 96 players

Need : I took at the top needs for each team (Per Draftek - could be up to 5 starter level needs for some teams) and summed them to get the "Need' total for the position. ie 8 teams have DL as a need so = 8

Extra: I then subtracted Available- Need to get a view of the depth for each position. +ve is surplus

Lots of DL so we could wait and get someone in rnd 2, 3. In shorter supply are Edge rushers,WRs and RBs so we may be better to grab either in the 1st. Hope this jives w what the mocks are showing.

Untitled.png
    Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 04-07-2023, 01:48 PM.
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

thx CB.... always worth a look see, and....

@EDGE, not overly excited 'bout anyone in particular, and thinkin' 'bout Tuli Tuipulotu.... great backup/rotational guy, but not sure am overly excited 'bout him as a starter post Bosa.... highly productuve and NFL measurables, and.... not sure he's a difference maker ?? I do like YaYa Diaby some, but would rather hope for Shaun Phillips range/day three for him.... ??

@OG am a one trick pony w/O'Cyrus early as a backup plan, but don't see anyone that am eyeing 'til later day three, so if and when going by position instead of player, just think that's a recipe for disappointment.

just not interested in WR @all, albeit without Carter, chances are even higher that we get one in the draft, and.... personally would pony up the $6m for Deandre Hopkins and resign Jalen and call it a day.

ILB is a priority w/the either of Campbell or preferably Sewell being good gets, as think Sanders is more of an ED than ILB ??

am only really keen on the one TE, and just crossin' my fingers there, as again not so keen on drafting by position.

we def have a need @RB, albeit unless Kincaid is a goner, will be a little surprised if we go RB day two, albeit again, Telesco & Co. did apparently miss out on their RB of choice in lieu of JT Woods last go 'round, so there is the thought that they might not want to repeat their same folly/shortfall ??

OC is def a need, but again hoping to nab a backup day three rather than spend day one/two draft capital on the position, albeit Tippmann would prolly get the job done as a Linsley hedge.

DB is just a tough nut there, as we have JC Jack in limbo, Callahan sitting out there unsigned, and an unknown quantity in JT Woods, and.... can't say I'm in love w/too many if any early DBs there, save maybe for Branch.

and same for DL.... just one guy has my attention, and would be really happy if we came away w/that one guy, day two.
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Ontario , Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      thx CB.... always worth a look see, and....

@EDGE, not overly excited 'bout anyone in particular, and thinkin' 'bout Tuli Tuipulotu.... great backup/rotational guy, but not sure am overly excited 'bout him as a starter post Bosa.... highly productuve and NFL measurables, and.... not sure he's a difference maker ?? I do like YaYa Diaby some, but would rather hope for Shaun Phillips range/day three for him.... ??

@OG am a one trick pony w/O'Cyrus early as a backup plan, but don't see anyone that am eyeing 'til later day three, so if and when going by position instead of player, just think that's a recipe for disappointment.

just not interested in WR @all, albeit without Carter, chances are even higher that we get one in the draft, and.... personally would pony up the $6m for Deandre Hopkins and resign Jalen and call it a day.

ILB is a priority w/the either of Campbell or preferably Sewell being good gets, as think Sanders is more of an ED than ILB ??

am only really keen on the one TE, and just crossin' my fingers there, as again not so keen on drafting by position.

we def have a need @RB, albeit unless Kincaid is a goner, will be a little surprised if we go RB day two, albeit again, Telesco & Co. did apparently miss out on their RB of choice in lieu of JT Woods last go 'round, so there is the thought that they might not want to repeat their same folly/shortfall ??

OC is def a need, but again hoping to nab a backup day three rather than spend day one/two draft capital on the position, albeit Tippmann would prolly get the job done as a Linsley hedge.

DB is just a tough nut there, as we have JC Jack in limbo, Callahan sitting out there unsigned, and an unknown quantity in JT Woods, and.... can't say I'm in love w/too many if any early DBs there, save maybe for Branch.

and same for DL.... just one guy has my attention, and would be really happy if we came away w/that one guy, day two.

Thanks BC. My feeling is they need to draft a DT near the top as our run D was our weakness last year. Many consensus have us taking TE Dalton Kincaid at 21 which would be ok. We don't necessarily need a WR so long as we add another weapon for Herbert and would agree if they can resign Guyton we have enough at WR for now.

My gut says they go WR or TE. We have needed a DT for many years and they never use a #1 there. They probably think w all the injured players back and Otto we should be ok.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

Thanks BC. My feeling is they need to draft a DT near the top as our run D was our weakness last year. Many consensus have us taking TE Dalton Kincaid at 21 which would be ok. We don't necessarily need a WR so long as we add another weapon for Herbert and would agree if they can resign Guyton we have enough at WR for now.

My gut says they go WR or TE. We have needed a DT for many years and they never use a #1 there. They probably think w all the injured players back and Otto we should be ok.
        Not if we can get Myles Murphy at 21 (Baby Bruce!)
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

This is a cool look! Thanks! Interesting....I will say Im not a huge fan of draftek, though the base numbers should jibe, if not specifically, with other rankings...except DT. There are not that many in the 96...im guessing that site lumped some DEs into the dline catagory...but just nitpicking. Nice work.
          Mock version 3.0-The "Double Mitchell"
          (Assumes "fantasy" trade with Vikes)

11. Q. Mitchell CB
          23. A. Mitchell WR
          37. K. Jenkins DT
          69. C. Beebe OG -105. C.Gray LB
          110. R. Davis RB -140. J. Jones Slot CB
          181. T. McLachlan TE -225. J. Jean-Baptiste Edge
          253. K. Vidal RB

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
            This is a cool look! Thanks! Interesting....I will say Im not a huge fan of draftek, though the base numbers should jibe, if not specifically, with other rankings...except DT. There are not that many in the 96...im guessing that site lumped some DEs into the dline catagory...but just nitpicking. Nice work.
            Actually made a small typo. There are 11 available. It includes all DL1T, DL3T and DL 5T, 3-4 DEs . 4-3 ends they call EDGE. Here they are btw.

11 Jalen Carter Georgia DL3T 6'3" 314 JR
            12 Lukas Van Ness Iowa DL5T 6'5" 272 RSO
            14 Bryan Bresee Clemson DL3T 6'5" 298 RSO
            33 Calijah Kancey Pitt DL5T 6'1" 281 RJR
            37 Mazi Smith Michigan DL1T 6'3" 323 SR
            45 Keion White Georgia Tech DL5T 6'5" 285 RSR
            48 Adetomiwa Adebawore Northwestern DL5T 6'2" 282 SR
            50 Keeanu Benton Wisconsin DL1T 6'4" 309 SR
            56 Siaki Ika Baylor DL1T 6'3" 335 RJR
            58 Gervon Dexter Florida DL3T 6'6" 310 JR
            83 Tuli Tuipulotu USC DL5T 6'3" 266 JR
            Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 04-07-2023, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Brock Bowers N.M.W.
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

That makes sense now...thanks again!
              Mock version 3.0-The "Double Mitchell"
              (Assumes "fantasy" trade with Vikes)

11. Q. Mitchell CB
              23. A. Mitchell WR
              37. K. Jenkins DT
              69. C. Beebe OG -105. C.Gray LB
              110. R. Davis RB -140. J. Jones Slot CB
              181. T. McLachlan TE -225. J. Jean-Baptiste Edge
              253. K. Vidal RB

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

I agree about getting a DT. But we have the guys who can stop the run in AJ, SBJ, and Fox. We need another pass rusher after Fox. Otito Ogbonnia has potential to be one, but he's not there right now.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I agree about getting a DT. But we have the guys who can stop the run in AJ, SBJ, and Fox. We need another pass rusher after Fox. Otito Ogbonnia has potential to be one, but he's not there right now.
                  disagree

Those guys are good playing off someone who takes the attention. Gimmie Mazi Smith or Siaki Ika round 2 to take the attention

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Staley likes to play a "Gap-and-a-half" defensive front.
                    It puts fewer players along the DL so that they can play 3 CB's and "pattern-match" in the secondary.
                    When looking for DT's in the draft... you have to understand the scheme. SJD and AJ are the prototypes.
                     By John Turney  Last year we mentioned  Brandon Staley's "gap-and-a-half" front but we never really gave an explanation as to what it is. S...

This is why I look for Keeanu Benton rather than Siaki

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

I think TE with #1 makes more sense than WR. A stud Rookie WR could still be benched with the amount they are paying Allen and Williams. A stud TE will play immediately and have a chance to contribute more.

Chargers need WR 1 and 2 for future but not necessarily this coming season. TE #1 an urgency and could really elevate the entire offense.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Ontario , Canada
                        • Send PM

Well, this sort of played out. Teams filled their big needs early in the draft ( ie QB, EDGE and OT) then you could see it was really BPA as all the top players fell off the board.

Ex of BPA , ATL got good value taking RB Bijan Robinson, BUF took TE Dalton Kincaid ( w Dawson Knox already), PHI traded up to take DL on a unit that is already stacked, NE got a great deal on CB Christian Gonzalez who fell etc.

Tomorrow there will likely be a run on EDGE rushers and the remaining WRs.
                        Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 04-27-2023, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍