Welcome DL Tuli Tuipulotu, USC (Round 2 #54)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jox g
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    Jimmy the Greek in the house
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...lynesian_Bones

2nd paragraph: Polynesian people have well documented
    low fracture rates and high levels of bone
    density, though some research pre-dates the
    more modern measurements utilising DEXA
    scans and quantitative CT.​

I didn't know so I Googled the blogger's sentence.....So it's true. Less chance of injury! Keep em comin!!!

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

3:22 Power Step on right tackle.

Comment

• Fleet 1
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Kauai
        • Send PM

Tuli Tuipulotu NFL Draft Scouting Report

EDGE, USC Trojans

USC EDGE defender Tuli Tuipulotu projects as a quality defensive lineman in the NFL. His role will vary from team to team and there appears to be some fluidity to assimilate into a slew of systems depending on his weight, but Tuipulotu took promising steps to become a more impactful third-down player in 2022—and if that growth is sustainable, Tuipulotu projects as a strong presence on the field.

Originally a 3-star recruit, Tuipulotu committed to the Trojans out of Lawndale High School in Lawndale, CA. Tuipulotu spurned offers from programs such as UCLA, Nebraska, and Tennessee in order to enroll with the Trojans and quickly made an impact during the COVID-19-shortened Pac-12 season. In the time since, Tuipulotu has become a staple of the Trojans front and enjoyed his best season in 2022. He has NFL blood, too. His brother, Marlon, played at USC and is now an interior defensive lineman with the Philadelphia Eagles. His cousins include Fili Moala (IDL for the Colts in the early 2010s) and former USC standout Talanoa Hufanga, who is now starting for the San Francisco 49ers at safety.

Tuipulotu has a powerful build to play along the defensive front. He offers a pro-ready frame based on how dense he is all the way through. He showcased alignment diversity to play in different spots and fulfill different roles for multiple fronts, which should offer a firm floor for all 32 franchises in evaluating his potential fit within their personnel. He’s got heavy hands and the ability to really shock blockers to win knockback at the point of attack—I thought some of his best reps in gap control came head-up on offensive tackles with stunning upfield push. He’s got a pretty hot motor, too. He looks to spin off blocks and double back into the flow of the football. He’s made a handful of secondary plays that weren’t initially there for the taking. One of my favorite such plays came against Washington State on a fourth-down QB run in the low red zone. He collapsed initially to squeeze his gap and peeled back off reactively to square up and absorb the quarterback for a run stuff. This is a violent hitter who absorbs contact from ball carriers effortlessly.

Perhaps the most intriguing element of Tuipulotu’s resume is the growth he illustrated in 2022 with becoming a much better finisher. I think he flashed a closer mentality with his big splash plays in obvious passing situations—he really ramped up pressure on third downs and showcased a strong nose for the football in the backfield. His first step and fluidity looked better in 2022 as well—it appeared as though he dropped some weight off his frame to become a more functional athlete. It paid off big time and I thought he was still able to sustain a lot of his power to collapse angles while being more equipped to win off the edge, too.

The variance in his roles offers universal appeal, but depending on where he lands, I could easily see him being a firm role player or a more significant starter. It is a bit of a challenge to foresee a team threading the needle to get his best early-down version and his best passing-down version at the same time, so he may be regarded as a bit of a tweener unless he’s asked to really pick a lane and commit. I like his ability to stack up tackles in the run game as a base end but I don’t necessarily see the length and pass rush capabilities to consistently win off the edge that isn’t power-oriented. His ability to play inside is more predicated on initial quickness and penetration—he’s more effective inside as an attack defender but when he flows laterally. I’m not sure how he will consistently hold ground and avoid being bubbled off the point of attack. He could fill a role for either gap control or penetration systems but I’m just not sure he’s ready to be an every-down player in either.

Tuipulotu also appears to be a fairly linear athlete in general, even amid his breakout of 2022. His transitions and suddenness when needing to drive against his momentum and redirect offer a bit of lag and leave questions about his ability to mirror as the point gets stretched. I do see some tightness throughout his frame when charged with dynamic change of direction or moving in space.

Expectations for Tuipulotu will range from team to team. Are you going to have him play in the 290s and serve as a B-gap defender? Or is he someone you’ll charge with playing around 270 and ask him to work more prominently off the edge? He’s shown the ability to do either, but in order to maximize his stock as a prospect, he’ll need to offer as much passing down value as possible to sell teams on his ability to play high snap volume in the NFL.

Top Reasons to Buy In:
        • Exciting conversion from speed to power to collapse angles
        • Intriguing new element of athleticism appears unlocked in 2022
        • Effective rush ability from multiple alignments, including interior positions
        • Appears to be a closer with many wins coming in apparent passing situations, allowing him to explode into his rushes

Top Reasons For Concern:
        • Functional length to press and extend to clear his chest appears to be modest
        • Does appear to illustrate some tightness through his hips and core
        • Will not consistently stress vertical sets with speed out of the blocks

Size (NFL Combine):

Height: 6′ 3”

Weight: 266 lbs

Arm Length: 32 1/4”

Hand Size: 10 1/8”

Athletic Testing (NFL Combine):

40-yard Dash: TBD

Vertical Jump: TBD

Broad Jump: TBD

Short-Shuttle: TBD

Three-Cone: TBD

Bench Reps: TBD

Ideal Role: Even-front base end

Scheme Fit: Gap-control defense with speed package featuring speed rushers inside

Prospect Comparison: A.J. Epenesa (2020 NFL Draft)

TDN Consensus Grade: 82.50/100 (Second-Round Value)
        • Crabbs Grade: 82.50/100

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Fleeter, I view Tuli as Uchenna but with much heavier hands and an aggressiveness that reminds me of Junior Seau. Hey, SD + USC connection....

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
            Outback Goon
            • Sep 2018
            • Australia
            • Send PM

inside pass rush
            i likey

Comment

• AL9000
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2022
              • San Diego, CA
              • Send PM

This will probably be my favorite pick in this draft!

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Popper quick thoughts:

Fast evaluation

Tuipulotu might not have top-tier athleticism, but he is a very young player coming off one of the most productive pass-rushing seasons in college football last year. He brings a ton of upside at a position of need for the Chargers. Brugler had a third-round grade on Tuipulotu, noting some weaknesses in his get-off, a lack of explosiveness and some inconsistencies in the run game and as a tackler. But he was 62nd on The Athletic’s final consensus big board, so I would not characterize this as a reach. The Chargers could not go another draft without using a top-100 pick on an edge rusher. This pick makes sense on several levels.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post
                  That is what I liked about Van Ness, but he was gone well before our pick in the first. A player who can back up edge, but also move inside on passing downs.
                  Sounds like Morgan Fox in a way.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Let's not get carried away.

His 40 time is listed at Draft buzz at 4.97 s.

Don't know how accurate that is.
                      I guarantee it is not
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post
                        bit of a reach, not so high on Tuli, but i guess they are drafting on need
                        All Tuli did was lead the nation in sacks...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                          Wow this guy was my favorite Dline prospect. His effort is off the charts. Tenacious. I'm not sure he's a full time edge guy though his best spot might be as a rusher inside ala Morgan Fox. Imagine him coming in on 3rd down with him and Fox inside and Bosa and Mack outside. He's gonna be a good player somehow regardless of where he plays.
                          We now have our Fearsome Foursome! Just like the old LA Rams...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍