• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    I think the first four picks are going to be outstanding and contribute significantly as rookies.

And the 6th round pick too. Matlock. He's going to be a stud I think and one of the steals of the draft.

I have nothing bad to say about the 5th pick, McFadden. If he can develop into a decent depth piece it's a win.

Duggan in the 7th round, I'm wait and see on him. He could turn out to be a solid backup or it could turn out to be a wasted pick.
    agree..... this is an interesting draft.....

Some say our starting WR;s are great so we are set and donr need any more?.... yet last year, we lost both to injury and we ONLY had Palmer as a vialble WR and he stepped up....

I think the 2 WR's we drafted will have a big impact this season...

If the USC DE can tackle he will be immediately 100% better than rumph who cannot tackle anyone....

The only Lber we have that is worthwhile is the guy we just signed from MIN..... so the LBer pick will have a huge impact as long as her can tackle! (which was our defenses greatest weakness)......

We might have 4 picks that have a huge impact as starters or key rotaional/situational backups....

Comment

• AL9000
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2022
      • San Diego, CA
      • Send PM

Immediate impression is a C. I don't hate it, don't love it.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I would give it a B+. We addressed depth at some key positions, filled the returner roll, added an exciting YAC guy. While not a huge Duggan fan as a pure passer, Telesco did say we were going to have 3 or 4 QBs in camp and since we have been carrying 3, I expect us to again. On paper, to my eyes, we did what we had to expect maybe at TE. Everett and Parham (if he can stay healthy - a big IF) are solid TEs and Ezeike could well end up replacing McKitty so I don't think of the cupboard as bare. Since I expected Ekeler back I am not surprised with didn't draft a RB. Hoosman and Dotson have a chance to replace Rountree if they can play even a little ST.

Solid.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
          Outback Goon
          • Sep 2018
          • Australia
          • Send PM

I gave it A.

It 2022 repeats and Chargers curse continues, I like the idea of watching Duggan, QJ, Davis making plays and grinding a win together. Depth wins games too

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

I gave it a D.

Not getting Kincaid who was a critical position of need, a top 10 player, and better than any WR in the draft was one of Telesco’s worst draft mistakes of all time.

Remember, you will be judged not only on who you picked but who you didn't pick In the long run.

There’s an interesting Twitter thread about the Bills on draft day and how they were shocked Dalton was still available after the Chargers pick and why they traded p to get him.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

I love the speed added with the WR's. Having a legit return man is really nice as well.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

McFadden-- like Jamaree Salyer the year before him-- is an O-lineman who excelled in a major program, but doesn't project to the tackle position in the NFL.

That demonstrates that he's got the "competitor" and physical toughness components. What remains to be seen is how well the overall combination of his skill set works at IOL.

McFadden won't necessarily pan out. A year ago at this time, nobody expected Salyer to 'pan out' the way he did, either. But IMO, these are solid risks that can really help build quality depth. Glad to see TT take this approach.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                  McFadden-- like Jamaree Salyer the year before him-- is an O-lineman who excelled in a major program, but doesn't project to the tackle position in the NFL.

That demonstrates that he's got the "competitor" and physical toughness components. What remains to be seen is how well the overall combination of his skill set works at IOL.

McFadden won't necessarily pan out. A year ago at this time, nobody expected Salyer to 'pan out' the way he did, either. But IMO, these are solid risks that can really help build quality depth. Glad to see TT take this approach.
                  Actually a lot of people projected Salyer to go much higher in the draft as he was outstanding in college. I was thrilled with the pick on draft day and posted the opinions of some draft analysts that had him graded as a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Apparently there were injury concerns which frightened off other teams. That was the only reason I could find at the time as to why he slid so far.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                    Remember, you will be judged not only on who you picked but who you didn't pick In the long run.
                    You will be judged on how your team performs, not who you did or didn't pick.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

I like the fact that Staley seems to have a lot of influence over the draft and he wouldn't admit it but Staley seems to have accepted the fact this football team is cursed from an injury perspective so you have to operate with the mindset of knowing you're gonna put a bunch of guys on IR and the season will be determined by how you respond to that. That means addressing problems BEFORE they happen. A few examples:

You have 2 pro bowl receivers but you know at least 1 of them will end up on IR so what do you do? This receiving corp is now 4 deep with viable starters. If Mike and Keenan both go down you can throw Johnston and Palmer out there and at least still have an NFL caliber receiving corps.

You know you're most likely gonna put a couple lineman on IR. What happens when you lose a tackle? Well, you already have Salyer so you can move him out there but in years past not only would you not have a guy like Salyer but that would also mean putting a practice squad guy at guard. Not anymore because you now have McFadden. The Oline is now capable of losing 3 starters without completely imploding.

Matlock provides a margin of safety against the inevitable injury run on interior Dline.

Tuipulotu provides a further margin of safety against any injury anywhere on the defensive front because he can play any position (and probably will). When Bosa or Mack go down he can fill in there and he's also capable of filling in on the interior Dline.

I'm a little more concerned with depth at corner, linebacker, and talent at running back. I don't see JC Jackson doing anything this year and we need to add a free agent corner, maybe bring Callahan back. It was never mentioned but I'm pretty sure Vato suffered a torn pec in that playoff game and would have been out for the rest of the playoffs.

Talent at the running back position is severely lacking behind Ekeler and I was a little disappointed no effort was made to upgrade there. Ekeler is getting up there in age & Spiller & Kelly aren't much above practice squad caliber.

I'm not near as concerned about the tight end group as some here. Everett is a problem for defenses when used correctly and Parham has the skillset of a top 10 tight end if he can stay on the field long enough to show it. If a blocking tight end is really needed those are easy enough to find iin free agency.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                        I like the fact that Staley seems to have a lot of influence over the draft and he wouldn't admit it but Staley seems to have accepted the fact this football team is cursed from an injury perspective so you have to operate with the mindset of knowing you're gonna put a bunch of guys on IR and the season will be determined by how you respond to that. That means addressing problems BEFORE they happen. A few examples:

You have 2 pro bowl receivers but you know at least 1 of them will end up on IR so what do you do? This receiving corp is now 4 deep with viable starters. If Mike and Keenan both go down you can throw Johnston and Palmer out there and at least still have an NFL caliber receiving corps.

You know you're most likely gonna put a couple lineman on IR. What happens when you lose a tackle? Well, you already have Salyer so you can move him out there but in years past not only would you not have a guy like Salyer but that would also mean putting a practice squad guy at guard. Not anymore because you now have McFadden. The Oline is now capable of losing 3 starters without completely imploding.

Matlock provides a margin of safety against the inevitable injury run on interior Dline.

Tuipulotu provides a further margin of safety against any injury anywhere on the defensive front because he can play any position (and probably will). When Bosa or Mack go down he can fill in there and he's also capable of filling in on the interior Dline.

I'm a little more concerned with depth at corner, linebacker, and talent at running back. I don't see JC Jackson doing anything this year and we need to add a free agent corner, maybe bring Callahan back. It was never mentioned but I'm pretty sure Vato suffered a torn pec in that playoff game and would have been out for the rest of the playoffs.

Talent at the running back position is severely lacking behind Ekeler and I was a little disappointed no effort was made to upgrade there. Ekeler is getting up there in age & Spiller & Kelly aren't much above practice squad caliber.

I'm not near as concerned about the tight end group as some here. Everett is a problem for defenses when used correctly and Parham has the skillset of a top 10 tight end if he can stay on the field long enough to show it. If a blocking tight end is really needed those are easy enough to find iin free agency.
                        Solid take.

For the RBs, I will say that we really don't know what we have in Spiller yet. He got hurt in camp and missed some valuable practice time and by his own accord was still only 90% a month into the season. Not ready to write him off as a practice squad guy yet. I also am higher on Kelley as a backup than most here are. Rountree - not even a practice squad guy, IMO. If one of the UDFA RBs can play even a tiny bit of ST we can upgrade the bottom of the RB depth.

I am not the biggest Everett fan, but he did put up his career best numbers last year and while not elite, he is still a solid TE. Parham is the wildcard - if he can stay healthy he can be a monster. But that is a big if...

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

You will be judged on how your team performs, not who you did or didn't pick.
                          I’ll give you an example of why you’re wrong.

Picking Tagovailoa over Herbert will always be second guessed based on their careers.

Tagovailoa has a much better win percentage than Herbert so based on your opinion Miami made the better draft pick.

We know that’s bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                          X