• Show
Clear All
  • Kellyb72601
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Solid take.

For the RBs, I will say that we really don't know what we have in Spiller yet. He got hurt in camp and missed some valuable practice time and by his own accord was still only 90% a month into the season. Not ready to write him off as a practice squad guy yet. I also am higher on Kelley as a backup than most here are. Rountree - not even a practice squad guy, IMO. If one of the UDFA RBs can play even a tiny bit of ST we can upgrade the bottom of the RB depth.

I am not the biggest Everett fan, but he did put up his career best numbers last year and while not elite, he is still a solid TE. Parham is the wildcard - if he can stay healthy he can be a monster. But that is a big if...
    With Spiller I guess I'm a bit biased against him because I'm an aggie and watched pretty much every game of his college career and was never really impressed with him. He was sort of like a decent starting pitcher that won't wow anybody but just eats up innings. He carried the ball a lot and didn't fumble but never really did anything spectacular. His backup was Devon Achane and Achane is an explosive play waiting to happen. I guess if the run blocking is solid any of those backups are good enough but I'm already planning for needing a RB upgrade going into '24.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
      I like the fact that Staley seems to have a lot of influence over the draft and he wouldn't admit it but Staley seems to have accepted the fact this football team is cursed from an injury perspective so you have to operate with the mindset of knowing you're gonna put a bunch of guys on IR and the season will be determined by how you respond to that. That means addressing problems BEFORE they happen. A few examples:

You have 2 pro bowl receivers but you know at least 1 of them will end up on IR so what do you do? This receiving corp is now 4 deep with viable starters. If Mike and Keenan both go down you can throw Johnston and Palmer out there and at least still have an NFL caliber receiving corps.

You know you're most likely gonna put a couple lineman on IR. What happens when you lose a tackle? Well, you already have Salyer so you can move him out there but in years past not only would you not have a guy like Salyer but that would also mean putting a practice squad guy at guard. Not anymore because you now have McFadden. The Oline is now capable of losing 3 starters without completely imploding.

Matlock provides a margin of safety against the inevitable injury run on interior Dline.

Tuipulotu provides a further margin of safety against any injury anywhere on the defensive front because he can play any position (and probably will). When Bosa or Mack go down he can fill in there and he's also capable of filling in on the interior Dline.

I'm a little more concerned with depth at corner, linebacker, and talent at running back. I don't see JC Jackson doing anything this year and we need to add a free agent corner, maybe bring Callahan back. It was never mentioned but I'm pretty sure Vato suffered a torn pec in that playoff game and would have been out for the rest of the playoffs.

Talent at the running back position is severely lacking behind Ekeler and I was a little disappointed no effort was made to upgrade there. Ekeler is getting up there in age & Spiller & Kelly aren't much above practice squad caliber.

I'm not near as concerned about the tight end group as some here. Everett is a problem for defenses when used correctly and Parham has the skillset of a top 10 tight end if he can stay on the field long enough to show it. If a blocking tight end is really needed those are easy enough to find iin free agency.
      We drafted a Linebacker so I'm not worried there. More concerned about RB and then DB...
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I’ll give you an example of why you’re wrong.

Picking Tagovailoa over Herbert will always be second guessed based on their careers.

Tagovailoa has a much better win percentage than Herbert so based on your opinion Miami made the better draft pick.

We know that’s bullshit.
        If you want to limit it to regular season record for a player who has never made it through a season healthy and has never been in the playoffs I suppose you could claim that. My point is that if we win a SB despite passing on Kinkaid, that is all that matters. Similarly, if we drafted Kinkaid and did not win a SB, that would be all that mattered as well - not who we did or didn't draft.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If you want to limit it to regular season record for a player who has never made it through a season healthy and has never been in the playoffs I suppose you could claim that. My point is that if we win a SB despite passing on Kinkaid, that is all that matters. Similarly, if we drafted Kinkaid and did not win a SB, that would be all that mattered as well - not who we did or didn't draft.

Rookies get evaluated each season and it’s not based on whether the team wins the SB. LOL

Let’s re-examine this after the 2023 season.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
            Let’s re-examine this after the 2023 season.
            That is really the only thing that makes sense, though it could take 2 or 3 years to really come to a meaningful conclusion.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
              Day One...
              • Mar 2019
              • Brentwood, 94513
              • Send PM

I gave it a B. It’s harder to get excited that later your pick is in the first round. Hopefully I won’t watch the draft next year because we will be drafting 32nd.

Let’s see how the new pieces fit and regrade later too

Comment

• Eurobolt
                *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

I would give a solid B.

WR - corps is not only secured in case of injuries but also for roster needs next off-season.
                Edge - same as above.
                OL - looks like deep unit...first time since when I am a NFL/Chargers fan.

If I would need to guess today I would say next year we draft RB / C / TE.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

I gave it an A...I like all the players, and I think they are all ready, once they have camp and a preseason under their belts, to contribute to some degree this coming season, either as role players, or quality depth, in the case of Mcfadden...and I think all have developmental upside to be eventual starters, though Davis may be mostly career returner. Duggen the exception, of course, but a 7th rounder. This is how you draft when you are ready to win now...there are no 3 year plans from Acorn state or Evergreen tech in this class....
                  The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

The only way this draft becomes an A is if Quinton Johnston is a 1000 yard 10 TD plus WR! If he has Josh Palmer sort numbers BUST because we really needed a RB like Bijan and probably should of traded up if it meant foregoing a ILB and Dline player from USC. Our GM and HC believes who we drafted gives us the depth we need to beat KC, Bills, Bengals and win a CHAMPIONSHIP! We. Are. Going. To. Learn. Soon. If they were right.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The Sporting News

28. Los Angeles Chargers
                      • Grade: C-
                      Draft picks: WR Quentin Johnston, DT Tuli Tuipulotu, LB Daiyan Henley, WR Derius Davis, G Jordan McFadden, DT Scott Matlock, QB Max Duggan

Analysis: This draft didn't make a ton of sense for Tom Telesco outside of the best pick, Tuipulotu and the highest-upside pick, Henley. Johnston was the wrong type of wideout to add in the mix for Justin Herbert, and then they doubled down on TCU types with Davis. Getting the Horned Frogs undraftable QB, Duggan, also was ridiculous. This wasn't the needed draft for a playoff contender, which also missed a running back given the concerns with Austin Ekeler.

The Sporting News' grades are in for the 2023 NFL Draft with all 259 picks in the books. Here are the best and worst classes, from the Steelers, Eagles and Colts as heads of the class to the Jets and Cardinals flunking out.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

CBSSports Pete Prisco

Los Angeles Chargers: C+

Best Pick: I love third-round linebacker Daiyan Henley, who is a fast, speedy linebacker. The Chargers have run-defense issues and adding help in the front seven was a top priority.

Worst Pick: I didn't love the pick of receiver Quentin Johnston in the first round. There were better options on the board at receiver and they needed help inside on defense. He does fit their receiver profile.

The Skinny: By getting Henley and third-round edge Tuli Tuipulotu, the Chargers addressed a defense that needed it. But they didn't get a run stuffer inside, which they need, although sixth-round defensive tackle Scott Matlock has talent. Johnston has to be a Pro Bowl-type of talent for this draft to really hit.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                          The Sporting News
                          Johnston was the wrong type of wideout to add in the mix for Justin Herbert, and then they doubled down on TCU types with Davis.
                          Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm not sure how a fast deep threat who can run after the catch is the wrong type of wideout. I'd argue it is exactly what we were missing.

And Davis is here primarily as a returner so this kind of feels like lazy reporting.

Comment

Working...
                          X