• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Travis Benjamin!!!

WWWWOOOOOOOOOOTTT!!!! I love this guy!

Comment

Chargers to sign Travis Benjamin

The Chargers are adding a big-play weapon for Philip Rivers.

Per NFL Media's Rand Getlin, former Browns receiver Travis Benjamin will sign with the Chargers once deals can become official on Wednesday. Benjamin, who is just 26, was one of the top names in an underwhelming receiver market. He caught a career-high 68 passes for 966 yards and five touchdowns in a breakout year with the Browns in 2015.

Despite a horrid quarterback carousel during his time in the AFC North, Benjamin was a bright spot with a devastating combination of speed and explosiveness. In a new system developed by Chargers coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, he should be one of Rivers' top targets alongside Keenan Allen.

Benjamin received an offer to stay in Cleveland and was reportedly drawing heavy interest in Houston and Atlanta, where he would have been paired with his former offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan. None of those materialized, leaving Cleveland most notably without any sound options in the passing game outside of Brian Hartline and Andrew Hawkins.

The news should be positive for the Chargers who have managed to lock up one of the better free agents available despite some uncertainty on their own end in terms of a stadium and future location. They get a veteran replacement for the retired Malcom Floyd and the chance to kickstart an offense that stalled under high expectations a year ago.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I hope he's good. Receiver isn't the first position I would have addressed, but at least we're doing something.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

hope it turns out better than Welcome Jacoby Jones.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• X-man
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
            I hope he's good. Receiver isn't the first position I would have addressed, but at least we're doing something.
            Between some of those stud CB's he was regularly beating in that highlight video and from Kyle Posey's evaluation http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016...argets-offense...color me officially excited to see what Travis Benjamin can bring to the Chargers offense. He reminds me of Desean Jackson (when he was that scary Eagles WR who many CBs dreaded the fear of getting badly burned.) I too agree that we still need to shore up some other positions (C, DE or DT, and S) for sure...but there's still plenty of offseason to do that. Hopefully this is a good start to what needs to be a productive free agency period for SD.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

me neither. reading between the lines of last comments from TT about evaluating OL being so hard because of all the injuries and their starting OL never playing a game together all year, I'm betting there will be few quality OL additions of note and they will pin all their hopes on returning last year's starters being healthy all year (when was the last time THAT happened?) and return of Wiz and new blocking schemes to help Gordon and running game to take pressure off passing game and Rivers. If anyone questions them on not adding upgrades, we will hear about how great the offense was 3 years ago with Wiz calling the shots behind Joe D's line and the great running of Mathews and Woodhead being the model.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by X-man View Post
                Between some of those stud CB's he was regularly beating in that highlight video and from Kyle Posey's evaluation http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016...argets-offense...color me officially excited to see what Travis Benjamin can bring to the Chargers offense. He reminds me of Desean Jackson (when he was that scary Eagles WR who many CBs dreaded the fear of getting badly burned.) I too agree that we still need to shore up some other positions (C, DE or DT, and S) for sure...but there's still plenty of offseason to do that. Hopefully this is a good start to what needs to be a productive free agency period for SD.
                sure, we don't have a real Center or any TEs on the roster, but let's get Phil some new toys first! Next up will be Gates coming back.

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

He was pretty much the entire Cleveland offense last year. He was good in every game I watched. WR corp improved.
                  Prediction:
                  Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                  Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

This is a great signing. Only here would people question the order in which holes were filled, not that a hole was filled. We haven't had a legit deep threat in a while and he has never played with a QB like Rivers.

Comment

• X-man
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                      sure, we don't have a real Center or any TEs on the roster, but let's get Phil some new toys first! Next up will be Gates coming back.
                      Gates (and maybe Jermaine Gresham, a better blocker then Green and possibly a whole lot cheaper) is now integral to get done or the Benjamin signing isn't as impressive. C , S, DL, and backup positions should still very much be high priority for Telesco and crew...TBD on how he addresses them. And yes Jacoby Jones turned out to be a huge flop of a signing...but besides speed, when it comes to route running, let's just say:
                      Benjamin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jones...which is why TB should make much more of an impact when he and Rivers get in sync then Jones could ever try to be.

Comment

• Maverick
                        (Coryellian)
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Point Loma
                        • Send PM

It's all about the Benjamins....

Comment

Working...
                        X