• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Charger Rookies - Pump the Brakes

There's a lot of chatter lately about how good our draftees / UDFA's are, and how they plug holes and are the missing pieces that will make us great, BUT, even though I (generally) liked our draft, we need to slow our roll as far as our expectations of them in year one is concerned. These guys are rookies - no matter how talented they are there's an enormous jump in competition (physically) and scheme complexity (mental) from college to the NFL. They may very well all turn out to be world beaters, but don't expect it in year #1.

I expect QJ to make an impact, particularly when MW and KA go down, but, IMO if you're expecting the others to make significant impacts you're going to be disappointed. We didn't draft any Micah Parsons in this draft.

Comments . . . . . . .
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I don't see any real difference in the general feel about this class, in my opinion,may be even more muted as they drafted in the last half of the round. Pump the brakes all you want, I'll wait until camp before I make any opinion if the rookie will help. Maybe the one thing that I noticed was here is maybe just one of our members as hating the draft.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Wouldn't surprise me by mid season if Henley takes Murrays spot. Once he gets comfortable it is a matter of him diagnosing plays quicker than Murray.
      Murray isn't real good at getting off blocks either and ends up taken out of the play too often. Year 4 maybe it finally clicks for him but we'll see.
      Tuli will get some action and Davis will be the returner but after that, I don't expect much from the others year one. But, you never know.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

These are a lot of plug and play guys. The league isn’t that sacrosanct.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Nonsense - These guys arent here for 2023 to be #1 starters but we are going to see some of them early and often

QJ: Regular role as #3 and Alternate #1/#2. 25+ snaps a game
          Tuli: Regular rotational sub - 25+ snaps a game
          Henley: TBd - agree, it depends on K9
          DD: Returning day 1, not a lot more snaps
          McF: If we see him, there’s a problem
          Matlock: Increasing rotational sub snaps as the season goes on.
          Duggan: won’t see him after PS

Then there’s all of those UDFAs that ……. Hello? … …
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Geezbolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Sun Valley, ID
            • Send PM

"If you give a guy a helmet, you expect him to make a contribution". -- John Harbaugh One of my favorite quotes from the the most recent draft.
            I also like. Lefty, how you said "when" KA and MW go down, not "if".

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              Nonsense - These guys arent here for 2023 to be #1 starters but we are going to see some of them early and often

QJ: Regular role as #3 and Alternate #1/#2. 25+ snaps a game
              Tuli: Regular rotational sub - 25+ snaps a game
              Henley: TBd - agree, it depends on K9
              DD: Returning day 1, not a lot more snaps
              McF: If we see him, there’s a problem
              Matlock: Increasing rotational sub snaps as the season goes on.
              Duggan: won’t see him after PS

Then there’s all of those UDFAs that ……. Hello? … …
              Pretty on the mark

The UDFA DT - Clark - - he might get some play this year too. He and Matlock will be fighting it out.

As for QJ - you nailed it. He WR3 today - and should work into WR1 or WR2

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

NFL.com had an article I saw this morning, highlighting 12 day 3 guys that could see significant snaps this year. Matlock made the list, citing he is a perfect fit scheme wise for us. They also noted that Salyer was one of the top 2022 day 3 guys in snaps eaten. I will have a bit of optimism going into camp.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

I pumped this draft class to counter some of the negativity being expressed on this board over some of the picks. It reminded me of the ample draft-day negativity expressed toward the Herbert pick in 2020.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
                    I expect QJ to make an impact, particularly when MW and KA go down, but, IMO if you're expecting the others to make significant impacts you're going to be disappointed. We didn't draft any Micah Parsons in this draft.
                    If DD leads the league in punt return yardage and/or brings back one or two to the house, I think that makes him a successful 4th round pick, regardless of what he does or doesn't do as a WR.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

I'm expecting QJ to get 35-40 catches this season. Do I need to pump the brakes?!?

I'm expecting Tuli to be in a regular D-line sub rotation. Not start, not dominate, but contribute. Is that outrageous?

Henley? I'm expecting him to excel on special teams initially, while increasing his snaps on defense over the course of the season. Too optimistic?

D. Davis? I'm expecting him to return punts and kicks, and to be an upgrade. He won't set the league on fire, but will improve the overall quality of the Bolts' special teams' production. If the coaches don't believe he can do this, they wouldn't have drafted him. THEY wouldn't tell you that my expectation is too lofty.

5th round and on, ANYthing is a bonus beyond special teams reps. IMO, Scott Matlock is the most likely Day 3 pick to provide that. I expect a somewhat greater contribution from Matlock than the club got from Otito, who was the team's 5th round pick in 2022, last year, Otito had worked his way into a rotation on the d-line before blowing out a knee. No doubt in my mind that Matlock comes in more ready to contribute that Otito was, and so I think it's realistic to forecast an Otito-like arc for him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Pretty on the mark

The UDFA DT - Clark - - he might get some play this year too. He and Matlock will be fighting it out.

As for QJ - you nailed it. He WR3 today - and should work into WR1 or WR2
                        I expect that In 2024, not this year..... or if one of MW or Keenan misses games.He won't be 1 or 2 while everyone is healthy this season.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍