• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    Pokey ran a 4.6 in the forty. Not real fast for a WR so that's probably why he went undrafted. That also will hinder him as he competes for a spot against our bottom three WR's.

But, I've often said those forty times don't tell the entire story. In his highlight film you see him getting deep against some pretty good teams. He may be similar to MW. We'll find out in training camp.
    They could put him in a TE spot if we ever get to lean there. Tough receiver with some YAC after catches...
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Pokey ran a 4.6 in the forty. Not real fast for a WR so that's probably why he went undrafted. That also will hinder him as he competes for a spot against our bottom three WR's.

But, I've often said those forty times don't tell the entire story. In his highlight film you see him getting deep against some pretty good teams. He may be similar to MW. We'll find out in training camp.
      Not even close to comparing him to Jerry. But Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 if memory serves. 40 speed is relative it's game speed that is absolute.

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

He doesn't have Guyton's speed or experience or the bond that Guyton has developed with Herbert. The only way he would get a roster spot over Guyton is if Guyton's knee is not fully recovered.

Pokey is a superb project player with substantial potential who, if he develops, could find a roster spot next season or beyond, depending on what happens with KA or MW or even JP. He could find himself on the roster this year if there is a injury. But he's not going to bump Guyton out of a roster spot in TC unless Guyton's knee is not 100 percent.
        Guyton has created a bond with Herbert? I'm not seeing that at all.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Not even close to comparing him to Jerry. But Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 if memory serves. 40 speed is relative it's game speed that is absolute.
          I've often used Jerry as an example myself but Jerry must have had a hamstring pull or something on the day they timed him because no one ever did catch him from behind. Our own Mike Williams ran a 4.54 and we have often seen him be behind everyone on the field.

They should have these guys get timed in a full uniform, not in shorts. Then they would know what they can expect from a prospect.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
            Imho the only competitions at wr are:
            1. what is the order after KA and MW
            2. What is the order of wrs who will join the top 5-6 if an injury occurs.
            I don’t think there are a may surprises at WR this year. I guess if we’re going deep is Guytons spot secure? Maybe that’s the competition for playing time? I think Guyton gets this year as a lock for the roster but if there was one it would be him.
            if you have Guyton as a lock then perhaps there is one less possibility that Wilson has a chance.

allen, williams, johnston, davis, guyton, leaves one spot open which they should fill, I do't like the idea of carrying only 5 but they have done that under staley, granted there was less talent in the WR room but now there is also more talent across the rest of the roster to consider as well...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

What you say about Guyton was true when he was a rookie but he improved at both of those. Are you one of those guys that form an early opinion and will never change it?
              ???

Not seeing it. If it was there, I’d say so, so agree to disagree I guess.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Only if there injuries. Which is not outside the realm of possibility. They will carry six WR, and we already know who those six will be to start the season.
                with Chargers history of injuries....this is not a longshot.... lol

no one knows who will impress in camp...... maybe guyton gets totally out played by him or someone else???

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                  allen, williams, johnston, davis, guyton, leaves one spot open which they should fill
                  You left out Palmer.
                  1. KA
                  2. MW
                  3. JP
                  4. QJ
                  5. JG
                  6. DD

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

You left out Palmer.
                    1. KA
                    2. MW
                    3. JP
                    4. QJ
                    5. JG
                    6. DD
                    Baffling. I am seeing this over and over. Why does everyone forget to include Palmer. He's been solid since joining the team. No one gives him any love. There was an interview with Herbert to name every player he's thrown a TD to. He didn't mention Palmer which blew my mind. I hope Palmer didn't see that.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

You left out Palmer.
                      1. KA
                      2. MW
                      3. JP
                      4. QJ
                      5. JG
                      6. DD
                      That list looks good, doesn't it? We will be more capable of filling in for injured WR's this time around.

And if you don't want to throw it to any of those guys, you can always throw it to Everett or Ekeler. Take your pick JH.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

That list looks good, doesn't it? We will be more capable of filling in for injured WR's this time around.

And if you don't want to throw it to any of those guys, you can always throw it to Everett or Ekeler. Take your pick JH.
                        Not sure where to slot QJ.
                        "At the end of the day, making him feel at ease that he doesn't have to carry us," Beatty said. "That's one of the great things about this situation is. He's got Mike Williams, he's got Keenan Allen and he's got Josh Palmer … they've been in this league over time.

"So it's not like we're counting on you to come in and be the No. 1 receiver on Day 1, but that being said, he should compete to be the No. 1 receiver on Day 1. They kind of both go together," Beatty added."

It'll be fun.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

I like Gumby better...can really, really highpoint the football.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X