• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Wasn’t DD clocked up over 23 mph? I could be mistaken - I hallucinate a lot, just ask Velo and DerBosaNova
    Kind of surprised, but he has amazing acceleration so maybe his top speed is just not that of the long striders.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I don't know if Guyton would be able to make the roster of another team. But because of the success between him and Hebert the Chargers are choosing to retain him. His connection with Herbert is the only reason.
      They gave him a club-friendly min deal, no guarantee he’s on the roster in fall. He got a $75k signing bonus - we gave more than that to one of the UDFAs lol.

He’s insurance, not Herbie’s Secret Weapon. I’m fine with the signing, and if worst comes to be, i am ok with him coming on the field. I’m not reading something ridiculous into it. They drafted a #1 pick for their regular speed WR and #1 picks play, its the Rule of the GM. We won’t even see Guyton on game day unless a lot of guys are hurt.

Herbie would have a magic bond with any WR lucky enough to catch his passes. He has a stronger “bond” with Slate, Dub and Palmer, and soon will with Q.

He is WR5 or WR6, depending on him and DD in camp. I’ll go ahead and bet Guyton is WR5 out of respect, DD will have to prove something to change that. at WR5 he will be inactive every week as even if DD is WR6 on the depth chart he’s also the punt returner and will be active in front of him.

We have all debated Guyton’s skills and deficiencies ad nauseam, won’t go there. He’s a Charger, I love him.

was this the same careful analysis you applied to Derwin?
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Seriously though, Guyton fills a specific role in the passing game that only a player of his talents can fill - a guy who can stretch the field and get behind the defense and split the safeties with his pure straight line speed. Pokey may prove to be the more overall talented WR between the two, but he needs to be developed, and the WR depth chart is loaded with that type of WR now. But Guyton, and DD, are those guys who are so valuable on an offense with an arm like Herbert's. They force defenses to defend every blade of grass on the field because they can reach depths that mortal QBs can only dream of throwing to but Herbert can.
        Guyton is overrated. He backslid in 2021, and barely played in 2022. He did good in the 2020 season, Herbert's rookie season, when he was hungry and was forced to work hard because he had Tyron Johnson to compete with. When Tyron Johnson got cut, and the team had a rookie Palmer, Guyton got complacent. There were games in 2021 when Guyton didn't make plays when the games were crucial. He did good when it was games like the Giants game in 2021.

No, Guyton is not guaranteed his spot. Him being brought back on a 1 year contract doesn't guarantee he'll continue on as he was doing. He has to work for it. He needs to be pushed. I would have been fine if the team didn't bring Guyton back. But they did. The team drafted two good WRs. Guyton will have to step up and work harder now.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

I don't know if Guyton would be able to make the roster of another team. But because of the success between him and Hebert the Chargers are choosing to retain him. His connection with Herbert is the only reason.
          Agreed, the chemistry is real and the fact that he's not in high demand elsewhere (or here for that matter considering his 1 year deal) tell me 2 things.
          1. Guyton himself isn't a very good wr.
          2. His value to us to greater than anyone else because of said chemistry.

Telesco understood we wouldn't have much competition for JG.
          The air game often comes down to chemistry between qb and wr, and it's why I don't care how talented or celebrated a WR is. They have to have one thing, and thats chemistry with our stud QB. Obviously talent helps but I'll take a JG anyday over any top 5 wr who can't catch a Justin Herbert bullet.

Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I didnt see the improvement you did in 2021. And 2022 of course he didnt do anything due to unfortunate injury. I think odds of Pokey beating him out are long but not completely impossible. I’ll put Pokey as 20/1 unlikely to push Guyton out.

I love Pokey’s highlight tape but thats all I’ve seen of him, havent seen the “bad” tape. He plays faster than 4.6 to my old eyes
            Didn't look fast to me on the tape, then saw Roo's 40 for him and looked it up. He had a 1.62 ten yard split which isn't good for a WR and the slowest of the group who attended the combine. Wilson was not at the combine, his times are from his pro day.
            He certainly would be an upgrade to Bandy and Moore but he isn't beating out Guyton.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-24-2023, 04:26 AM.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• SuperCharged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Utah
              • Midnight Toker
              • Send PM

I see the WR depth cart more like this.

KA
              MW
              QJ
              JP
              DD
              Major camp battle for final spot
              GJ and PW

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                I see the WR depth cart more like this.

KA
                MW
                QJ
                JP
                DD
                Major camp battle for final spot
                GJ and PW
                Lol, not sure WR6 is a major battle, winner is inactive on game days, loser goes to PS.

And really, it should be Guyton to PS, he has had opportunity to show when healthy, and injuries have hit other WRs, and he did nothing. He can’t, just can’t be our best option if starters go down, which is the only way he (or any other WR past the top 5) see the field. Pulling for Wilson, cuz upgrade needed.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Didn't look fast to me on the tape, then saw Roo's 40 for him and looked it up. He had a 1.62 ten yard split which isn't good for a WR and the slowest of the group who attended the combine. Wilson was not at the combine, his times are from his pro day.
                  He certainly would be an upgrade to Dandy and Moore but he isn't beating out Guyton.
                  Dude has spiderman mitts for hands...everything that gets close to his mitts just sticks... LOL!
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Lol, not sure WR6 is a major battle, winner is inactive on game days, loser goes to PS.

And really, it should be Guyton to PS, he has had opportunity to show when healthy, and injuries have hit other WRs, and he did nothing. He can’t, just can’t be our best option if starters go down, which is the only way he (or any other WR past the top 5) see the field. Pulling for Wilson, cuz upgrade needed.
                    I guess I should have air quoted the camp battle. It was sarcasm.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I guess I should have air quoted the camp battle. It was sarcasm.
                      Lol. It’s a major battle for the two of them. It’s a $800k+ difference for someone. Not so much for the rest of world. Air quotes are never needed - tell Quack if you see him

someone in G-billy’s camp started a rumor that Pokey has a history of inappropriate contact in the locker room. It’s gonna be WW4 …

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Guyton is overrated. He backslid in 2021, and barely played in 2022. He did good in the 2020 season, Herbert's rookie season, when he was hungry and was forced to work hard because he had Tyron Johnson to compete with. When Tyron Johnson got cut, and the team had a rookie Palmer, Guyton got complacent. There were games in 2021 when Guyton didn't make plays when the games were crucial. He did good when it was games like the Giants game in 2021.

No, Guyton is not guaranteed his spot. Him being brought back on a 1 year contract doesn't guarantee he'll continue on as he was doing. He has to work for it. He needs to be pushed. I would have been fine if the team didn't bring Guyton back. But they did. The team drafted two good WRs. Guyton will have to step up and work harder now.
                        Nobody is guaranteed a roster spot. But they are going to carry six WR - KA,MW,JP,JG and the two rookies - and nobody is going to beat out Guyton for a spot on the depth chart. They re-signed him just before the draft with this line-up in mind. They re-signed Guyton for his speed and his connection to and history of making plays with Herbert - a connection that goes all the way back to Herbert's rookie camp. Remember the early days of Herbert's career when Steichen wasn't afraid to unleash Herbert's arm? Moore is going to bring that back, and they need that deep speed, and that is a role Guyton is going to fill, along with DD. So, unless Guyton's knee is not completely healed, his spot on the WR depth chart on opening day is pretty much guaranteed, yes.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
                          Imho the only competitions at wr are:
                          1. what is the order after KA and MW
                          2. What is the order of wrs who will join the top 5-6 if an injury occurs.
                          I don’t think there are a may surprises at WR this year. I guess if we’re going deep is Guytons spot secure? Maybe that’s the competition for playing time? I think Guyton gets this year as a lock for the roster but if there was one it would be him.
                          The WR room today is

QJ
                          Will
                          KA
                          Palmer
                          DAvis for his PR/KR ability

WR6 is wide open. Guyton is not secured anything

Comment

Working...
                          X