• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rikardo
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chris Hairston re-signed

OT Chris Hairston has agreed to two-year deal with Chargers, source says. Important get for depth. Swing tackle played LT, LG, RG, RT in '15
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I think he played some point guard for us too?

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

I think this lowers the chance (not rules out) of taking Tunsil/Stanley at 3.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

If Tunsil is sitting there at 3 and they pass because of this signing I will be very pissed.

Comment

• Gilded Pickle
          outside looking in
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

At this point, we're bringing back, nearly, the same OL we had in '15. Seems like TT is betting that the poor play was due to injuries and/or coaching... He's dumped the OL coaches and has resigned/retained most of the players. I really hope he addresses the OL via the draft because I've been hoping for an infusion of talent and it clearly isn't coming via free agency.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

I think he targets a Center.

Comment

• CTrout
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Good signing. This draft doesn't offer much after the first 4-5 OTs.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Gilded Pickle View Post
                At this point, we're bringing back, nearly, the same OL we had in '15. Seems like TT is betting that the poor play was due to injuries and/or coaching... He's dumped the OL coaches and has resigned/retained most of the players. I really hope he addresses the OL via the draft because I've been hoping for an infusion of talent and it clearly isn't coming via free agency.
                There isn't any FA OL talent, so it is hard to see how that could have happened. About the only hope still left is to add Wisnewski and/or get Joe Thomas to go for a trade, but it would cost something in return.

The real issue is not the OT play. They weren't great, but were at least OK most of the time. I can see drafting an OT early, but just because whoever is displaced from OT then would move inside to OG. If we feel there is another player who can make more of an impact, then waiting till round 2 or 3 is not out of the question, because quality C and OG are usually found there.

The C and OG play was pretty putrid. I don't even think it is as much about the OL players as it is the complete lack of teamwork between them. That comes from playing together, and if we have however many different combinations of OL, it is pretty hard for players to have any idea what the player next to them is going to do, much less look like a machine blocking together. Whoever plays at C and OG, the lineup needs to be set early, and the players allowed to work together for extensive periods during the offseason.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                  Did we win?
                  • Jun 2013
                  • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                  • Send PM

I like this, every line needs that guy that bounce around when needed. Hairston did an okay job with that last season amid all the chaos up front. I still think we add a center and tackle in the draft and/or through FA (Wiz), then we can move Watt back to guard and let him be the swing inside while Hairston fills in outside.
                  I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Gilded Pickle
                    outside looking in
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    There isn't any FA OL talent, so it is hard to see how that could have happened. About the only hope still left is to add Wisnewski and/or get Joe Thomas to go for a trade, but it would cost something in return.
                    There isn't much left NOW. My point, in part, was that TT didn't bring in anyone from the START of FA.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      There isn't any FA OL talent
                      What? Guys I would love for us to sign: Okung, Jahri Evans, Evan Mathis, Wisniewski, Geoff Schwartz... there are still some decent guys out there!

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Rinse, repeat.

What's that definition of insanity, again? The (very flawed) model needs to change. If it doesn't, the results won't change, either. Every year the poor OL play is blamed on: the coaches; the scheme; the injuries; the blah, blah, blah. Hairston, Watt - even Barksdale - would be nice DEPTH players. But to rely on them...

Comment

Working...
                        X