• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

F Marlon McCree

I'm sitting here looking after my daughter this morning and the 2006 divisional playoff vs NE is being replayed. This is the first time I have watched it since that game. I remember immediately after the game thinking "man, it was just a slow motion melt-down from that Parker fumbled punt." That's the impression I've lived with for years. The truth is that yes, there were lots of mistakes and missed opportunities that could have swung the outcome. There were lots of little things, like Olivea getting a PF on an extra point that hurt us. But the D continued to pressure Brady into poor passes, get turnovers and shut NE down.

But in the end, there was only one play which out and out lost the game for us. Fuck you Marlon McCree. Idiot. Without that maneuver, that game was as close to over as it gets.

Florence's headbutt gets runner up, though. He gave them 3 points.

On a sidenote, early in the third quarter, Phil Simms provides some color commentary after McCree makes a play. "Marlon McCree has been an addition that has changed this secondary. He's brought some football intelligence to the group. This week, his teammates told us that in minicamps he was out there correcting guys when they made mistakes. In the beginning, they didn't like it but after awhile they started saying 'Hey, maybe this guy knows what he's doing.'"

• richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

What is galling about the whole thing is to this day, he still insists that it was the right thing to do (trying to run it back) and that he'd do the same thing again.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

:killme:

Comment

• madcaplaughs
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

My heart went down into my stomach on both the punt muff and that play. Although I felt bad for myself, I felt really bad for LT. He deserved to have a superbowl to his credit with what he put on the field for us. Still sad about that.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          What is galling about the whole thing is to this day, he still insists that it was the right thing to do (trying to run it back) and that he'd do the same thing again.
          Just knock it down. Win. We have 1/10 at like our 38 with 6:20 left and LT in his prime.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
            I'm sitting here looking after my daughter this morning and the 2006 divisional playoff vs NE is being replayed. This is the first time I have watched it since that game. I remember immediately after the game thinking "man, it was just a slow motion melt-down from that Parker fumbled punt." That's the impression I've lived with for years. The truth is that yes, there were lots of mistakes and missed opportunities that could have swung the outcome. There were lots of little things, like Olivea getting a PF on an extra point that hurt us. But the D continued to pressure Brady into poor passes, get turnovers and shut NE down.

But in the end, there was only one play which out and out lost the game for us. Fuck you Marlon McCree. Idiot. Without that maneuver, that game was as close to over as it gets.

Florence's headbutt gets runner up, though. He gave them 3 points.

On a sidenote, early in the third quarter, Phil Simms provides some color commentary after McCree makes a play. "Marlon McCree has been an addition that has changed this secondary. He's brought some football intelligence to the group. This week, his teammates told us that in minicamps he was out there correcting guys when they made mistakes. In the beginning, they didn't like it but after awhile they started saying 'Hey, maybe this guy knows what he's doing.'"

Wasn't the head butt on fourth down? I can't remember.
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If I stumbled upon the replay of that game I'd change the channel. I still can't watch it.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                Wasn't the head butt on fourth down? I can't remember.
                I think it was on third down after a sack. So they would have punted. Instead they got the ball back +15 and picked up enough yards to get a FG.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  If I stumbled upon the replay of that game I'd change the channel. I still can't watch it.
                  I'm glad I did actually. I felt better about the team overall. It really came down to just a few really poor individual plays. Our D never really crumbled. They were up Brady's ass all game. They really just struggled in the two drives at the end of the halves. There were lots of mistakes across the board (VJ didn't get a second foot in on a sure TD, for ex) but really there were only the two huge ones that gave the Pats new life and that was the difference in the game.

By the way, we got the ball back with 70sec left, no timeouts and down 24-21. Rivers pissed away about the first 40 seconds of that. He would never handle that situation like that now. But it was his first year as a starter.

Comment

• Wheels
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

In my memory of that game, LT was averaging like 6 yards per carry, but they stopped feeding him early in the 3rd quarter.

The tough thing about that loss is it wasn't like one or 2 crazy plays turned it, the Pats needed the alignment of like 10 or more critical events to squeak out a win, and everything fell just right for them, capped by that int fumble.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Hey...this will soon be the 10 year anniversary of that season! yay!

The game was the perfect game to just give LT 40 carries and we would have won comfortably. Patriots had no answer to him, really.

To be honest, even if McCree has just knocked it down...I am in no way convinced it was "game over." There were still 6 minutes left and I could easily see us going 3 and out and giving them the ball again.

My other recollections:

1). Vincent Jackson not dragging his toe on what would have been a long TD pass.

2). Clinton Hart dropping an easy tipped ball for an INT early in the first quarter that would have set us up deep in Patriots' territory.

3). Rosie Colvin making this LUCKY ASS one handed INT somehow on this swing pass intended for LT.

That game was the ultimate cluster fuckery of cuckold proportions.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• UtahBolt
                        Did we win?
                        • Jun 2013
                        • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                        • Send PM

I have said it on this board a few times and the old board a few times as well; that game forever changed the way I watch sports. My wife and I flew down to that game and we were all in. Partying at Gaslamp the night before, the pre-game tailgating, the stupid fucking on-field POD performance before the game, etc. All in. That was the year and the SB run was starting right there and then. Well...I was just devastated after the loss, just speechless. Anyway, I told myself I will never let something so meaningless and that I can't control affect my emotions like that again. The game actually changed me as a sports fan.

The memory that stands out the most to me was after the game we were still sitting in our seats above the Chargers tunnel and watching all the pushing and shoving at mid-field. Then the team started walking off the field and Louis Castillo and I met eyes and the look on his face was exactly how I felt. It actually made me feel slightly better because he was devastated as well and if I felt like that, than damn it I wanted them to feel like that too!
                        I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

Working...
                        X