• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Touchbacks now coming out to the 25

Not sure if they're trying to limit kick returns or are trying to make kickers kick it in the field of play ala Nick Novak.

The NFL will move touchbacks to the 25-yard line and will eject players who draw two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in a game as part of rule changes approved Wednesday.
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

They are trying to cut down on returns even more because they think they are the most dangerous play in the game.

I don't like these types of changes. This is the first step toward eliminating the kickoff entirely. They going to screw with punting next?
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
      They are trying to cut down on returns even more because they think they are the most dangerous play in the game.

I don't like these types of changes. This is the first step toward eliminating the kickoff entirely. They going to screw with punting next?
      I'm all for eliminating the kicking game. It's the most boring part of football. The setting up of the game-winning field goal is the most anticlimactic event in sports. And the punt? Fucking go for it.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
        I'm all for eliminating the kicking game. It's the most boring part of football. The setting up of the game-winning field goal is the most anticlimactic event in sports. And the punt? Fucking go for it.
        If not for kicking, there would be no 'foot' in American "Football". I think euro's like to call our game "Gridiron" instead.

Comment

• BoltBalls
          Always keep eye contact!
          • Jun 2013
          • SD!
          • Send PM

I actually think this will increase the frequency of kick returns, since kickers will now be more inclined to not boot it out of the back of the endzone and instead put more air time under it and have it land just inside the 5 to force a return that will most likely be within the 25 yard line.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBalls View Post
            I actually think this will increase the frequency of kick returns, since kickers will now be more inclined to not boot it out of the back of the endzone and instead put more air time under it and have it land just inside the 5 to force a return that will most likely be within the 25 yard line.
            I thought the same thing...what happened to "player safety" ?
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• BoltBalls
              Always keep eye contact!
              • Jun 2013
              • SD!
              • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              I thought the same thing...what happened to "player safety" ?
              Yeah it seems a little counter-productive and not well thought out if added safety was the only goal. It might make things a bit more interesting for watching kickoffs however.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Yeah it seems a little counter-productive and not well thought out if added safety was the only goal. It might make things a bit more interesting for watching kickoffs however.
                I agree
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

I don't get the logic behind this rule change.

If they want to eliminate the kickoff for "player safety" (i.e. lawsuits), they should just move the kick off spot to midfield. Even Novak could boot it out of the end zone every time from there.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    If not for kicking, there would be no 'foot' in American "Football". I think euro's like to call our game "Gridiron" instead.
                    Gridiron is a badass name.

The NGL.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

That was my first thought too, guys like Novak who are accurate but not powerful on kickoffs will thrive.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

I think it takes away the advantage of a strong-legged kicker. Frankly id say the many touchbacks lead to a useless play....literally nothing happens. So its like the extra point logic to make it a more meaningful play by making it hurt the kicking team if they want to go for the touchback.

Comment

Working...
                        X