Would you be disappointed if ..................

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    We wouldn't have a rookie for the next decade unless we ditch Rivers. If you were that player, why would you sit behind Rivers. And if you did get to play in the 3rd, 4th or 5th year of the contract and didn't fully develop (think Osweiler or Kirk Cousins), would the team be willing to invest the $20-25 million in a player that is not fully proven? Because those are the choices. You have to be willing to play them and develop them, or pay them and run the risk of them not panning out.

The only way drafting a young QB at the top of the draft works is if they get to play fairly soon. If they sit behind a vet, you are still in the wait and see mode when their option year comes up. But when was the last young QB who developed and looked like a sure fire franchise QB from day 1? The only guys even close are Luck and Wilson, and both guys still have people wondering if they are really the answer. Everyone else is clearly not the guys you want to give that much money, but look at the FA contracts QB got, and about $20 mill is the going rate for a POTENTIAL franchise QB (unproven variety).
    this team has that history though right? Rivers drafted at top of the 1st and sat what, 3 years?, behind Brees. Nothing would surprise me with John Spanos running things.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Rivers sat 2 years. Back then, there was a much bigger divide between franchise QB and the next tier of guys. Rivers has always been well paid, he has also not been a bitch about it, and never made it totally about money. He has been content to be among the top tier of QB, but not the top, and we have had some cap flexibility because of it. He is still not among the highest paid QB in the league, although he is being paid somewhat more upfront so that we get the discount in the amount he counts vs the cap.

I just don't see going after a top QB with the way things are panning out among QB paychecks. Kirk Cousins and Osweiler are both being paid at or above what Rivers is, and have not proven they are anywhere near the same level of QB play. We can accomplish the same developmental type thing with a QB if we draft a QB later, without the risk of losing a top pick in 5 years, and without the risk of stuck eating a huge contract that a player really hasn't shown he can sustain.

Plus, I think we will keep seeing more and more QB prospects out there. Not necessarily the top end guys (they are always rare), but the middle round guys are throwing a lot more passes then in the past, getting a lot more exposure. Grab one in two years, when Rivers will definitely not be overlapping too much, and get a kid who needs to develop some (and knows it), then we can have a guy sit 2 years and really develop them with a 2nd/3rd round pick.

Comment

• Grinners
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Wait till next year and get a QB in the second round. I think Drew Brees will be available?

Comment

• homeless simpson
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

i don't think this is the year to find a developmental qb unless you can find one that has so much talent that it wouldn't matter who was coaching them. MehCoy may or may not even be here by next year, maybe Whiz will develop him? Whiz has not exactly developed anybody outside of Ben's first few years....then we also have a bunch of no names as qb coach, last year it was Siriani who, just like when he was an assistant with KC, got moved to wr coach after only one season....and our current qb coach, Schleichen spent time with the Browns qbs as Offensive QC coach (quality control and Browns QBs dont go together LOL), but prior to joining the Poops he was a chargers defensive qc coach. it's like a Brian Schottenheimer scenario.......

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Rivers sat 2 years. Back then, there was a much bigger divide between franchise QB and the next tier of guys. Rivers has always been well paid, he has also not been a bitch about it, and never made it totally about money. He has been content to be among the top tier of QB, but not the top, and we have had some cap flexibility because of it. He is still not among the highest paid QB in the league, although he is being paid somewhat more upfront so that we get the discount in the amount he counts vs the cap.

I just don't see going after a top QB with the way things are panning out among QB paychecks. Kirk Cousins and Osweiler are both being paid at or above what Rivers is, and have not proven they are anywhere near the same level of QB play. We can accomplish the same developmental type thing with a QB if we draft a QB later, without the risk of losing a top pick in 5 years, and without the risk of stuck eating a huge contract that a player really hasn't shown he can sustain.

Plus, I think we will keep seeing more and more QB prospects out there. Not necessarily the top end guys (they are always rare), but the middle round guys are throwing a lot more passes then in the past, getting a lot more exposure. Grab one in two years, when Rivers will definitely not be overlapping too much, and get a kid who needs to develop some (and knows it), then we can have a guy sit 2 years and really develop them with a 2nd/3rd round pick.
            I haven't read of a CFL QB of interest for a long time now. I wonder if that is because there is no talent up there, or because NFL teams are too lazy or not interested in mining for Gold nuggets up there anymore?

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

How about a vintage Gold Miner?
              SACRAMENTO_GOLD_MINERS-1994.jpg
              I can remember when the CFL was a place where QBs went to die as well.
              CLIPBOARD_ARCHER-1989.jpg

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein View Post
                How about a vintage Gold Miner?
                [ATTACH]957[/ATTACH]
                I can remember when the CFL was a place where QBs went to die as well.
                [ATTACH]958[/ATTACH]
                but a few came to the NFL and succeeded: Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia off the top of my head.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Anything's possible... then again, I wouldn't be too surprised if Johnny football was trying to figure out how to convert his money sign from dollars to loonies sooner rather than later.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

For me, you have to take Buckner if he's there. Ramsey won't help this team enough, IMO. Tunsil would be great but he won't be there unless the Titans trade down and the Titans trading out of the top spot would throw every mock scenario out the window.

Focus on the trenches TT.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X