• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

We'll remind people of the tackling thing if Perryman ever gets hurt. Many NFL players not only hurt other players, but they expose themselves to potentially breaking their own necks. For the good of the game, someone needs to do something about it. Plus, cheap ass players like Ryan Shazier will get their due unless they stop being drity players and keep trying to hurt other players by being horrible tacklers. I can't remmeber the last time I saw the guy make a tackle without using his helmet as a weapon. Guy should have already been suspended for life.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      We'll remind people of the tackling thing if Perryman ever gets hurt. Many NFL players not only hurt other players, but they expose themselves to potentially breaking their own necks. For the good of the game, someone needs to do something about it. Plus, cheap ass players like Ryan Shazier will get their due unless they stop being drity players and keep trying to hurt other players by being horrible tacklers. I can't remmeber the last time I saw the guy make a tackle without using his helmet as a weapon. Guy should have already been suspended for life.
      I don't know who Shazier is, but the eye poker on the Donkeys should have been banned last year.

Comment

• KNSD
        Registered Charger Hater
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

tl;dr - Watch the Seahawks tackling video.
        Prediction:
        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• homeless simpson
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I'm slightly confused by the original posted article. It points out that new tackling drills will be practiced to avoid concussion injuries, but points out we have a lot of players miss many games due to concussion but only lists OL players (who don't do any tackling). And if proper tackling is a point of emphasis this offseason, what was the point of emphasis in other off seasons? Shouldn't fundamentals (like tackling) always be a point of emphasis every season?

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I'd like to know why our OL keep getting concussions. There's no more head slap and the coaches should do something to keep them off the ground.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
              I'm slightly confused by the original posted article. It points out that new tackling drills will be practiced to avoid concussion injuries, but points out we have a lot of players miss many games due to concussion but only lists OL players (who don't do any tackling). And if proper tackling is a point of emphasis this offseason, what was the point of emphasis in other off seasons? Shouldn't fundamentals (like tackling) always be a point of emphasis every season?
              Tackling is always a being taught in the NFL, especially since lower levels (like most colleges) don't really teach tackling anymore. The issue now is that we are switching to the new technique that is being pushed by the former USC/Seahawks coaches. Rather then use the NFL style of tackling (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfmowQ2wuZc, notice where the head and shoulder at, it is more of an upper body movement), they teach what is essentially a rugby tackle, where you wrap up and hit lower and through the legs. It gets the head out of the way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho

This may not seem like a big deal, but the real issue for the NFL is how do you teach something so fundamental to the sport, but practice it so rarely. For years, even before the latest abomination that is called the CBA, full speed tackling is done rarely. Too many injuries by guys being hit and taken to the ground, and that is on top of poor technique and spearing that is so common. The new Seahawks stuff points out that they spend a lot of time in t-shirts and shorts practicing technique, so players get far more reps. The Seahaks don't spend a ton of time working on it per day, but they work on it EVERY day. It is also safer, so they lose fewer players.

You can take an extension of this with blocking. A lot of HS coaches teach that you use your facemask and bury it into the other players chest, and then when they duck their heads on contact, the two players helmets collide. I would have to go back and look at some of the concusion hits, but I am willing to bet that it has something to do with it. If you adjust the technique and hit lower and get your head across the body, you could largely removed the head from blocking as well.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
                I don't know who Shazier is, but the eye poker on the Donkeys should have been banned last year.
                The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Ryan Shazier is a 3rd years, every down ILB for the Steelers, and former 1st round draft pick out of Ohio State.

Comment

• Faded blues
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Tackling is always a being taught in the NFL, especially since lower levels (like most colleges) don't really teach tackling anymore. The issue now is that we are switching to the new technique that is being pushed by the former USC/Seahawks coaches. Rather then use the NFL style of tackling (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfmowQ2wuZc, notice where the head and shoulder at, it is more of an upper body movement), they teach what is essentially a rugby tackle, where you wrap up and hit lower and through the legs. It gets the head out of the way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho

This may not seem like a big deal, but the real issue for the NFL is how do you teach something so fundamental to the sport, but practice it so rarely. For years, even before the latest abomination that is called the CBA, full speed tackling is done rarely. Too many injuries by guys being hit and taken to the ground, and that is on top of poor technique and spearing that is so common. The new Seahawks stuff points out that they spend a lot of time in t-shirts and shorts practicing technique, so players get far more reps. The Seahaks don't spend a ton of time working on it per day, but they work on it EVERY day. It is also safer, so they lose fewer players.

You can take an extension of this with blocking. A lot of HS coaches teach that you use your facemask and bury it into the other players chest, and then when they duck their heads on contact, the two players helmets collide. I would have to go back and look at some of the concusion hits, but I am willing to bet that it has something to do with it. If you adjust the technique and hit lower and get your head across the body, you could largely removed the head from blocking as well.
                  You need to watch Ayf.

Tackling is being taught to 5 graders and up.

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Next up, teaching them how to do this thing called "blocking."
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                      Next up, teaching them how to do this thing called "blocking."
                      Maybe they can do a teach-then-sign contract with these kids.

Comment

Working...
                      X