• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThatSinkingFeeling
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

I have this sneaky feeling that they we will be in for a (rather disappointing) surprise come the draft. For arguments sake, say the guy who is #1 on Hortiz' list is someone like Terrion Arnold or Olu Fashanu. Would you be happpy if they drafted him at 5? I have this funny feeling that is what they will be doing and everybody will be in uproar because they didn't trade down.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ThatSinkingFeeling View Post
      I have this sneaky feeling that they we will be in for a (rather disappointing) surprise come the draft. For arguments sake, say the guy who is #1 on Hortiz' list is someone like Terrion Arnold or Olu Fashanu. Would you be happpy if they drafted him at 5? I have this funny feeling that is what they will be doing and everybody will be in uproar because they didn't trade down.
      your screen name is Sinking Feeling, so you are staying true to form. i think we would trade back before taking those guys at #5 - uproar indeed !!

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

You and wu, sheesh. This isn’t daycare in here, I seriously doubt any uproar will happen from anybody. Might be questions, some good debate as per usual. The drama queens need to give it a rest.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Below is from a Go Long article by Tyler Dunne. When the silly season started I thought it would be Caleb Williams first and Drake Maye second. I didn't think the Giants would be in the market for a quarterback because I didn't believe they would be interested in anyone besides Williams and Maye. Now it seems Jayden Daniels is locked in with Washington at #2 (good luck with that), and the Patriots may be willing to give up the third overall pick. If the Giants are able to make the trade for Maye, I think that leaves us as the logical choice for the Vikings to deal with for their second choice at quarterback (I think they want Maye badly but could settle for J.J. McCarthy). I really don't believe Arizona is interested in trading out. New England is a mystery to me. I have no idea what Eliot Wolf is thinking as the first man in charge after Bill Belichick.

Obviously I don't have any inside information, but I wouldn't be surprised if nobody takes a quarterback after Williams, Daniels, and Maye go with the first three picks. Part of me believes that the McCarthy talk has been a complete smokescreen by everyone in hopes it would push Maye down to the fourth quarterback selected--giving the Giants a better shot at him with the sixth overall pick or the Vikings and Broncos a better chance to trade up with us.

Just one day away. Hopefully it works out for us.

Why Drake Maye and the New York Giants are a perfect fit

Actions forever speak louder than words. Especially this time of year. The New York Giants are clearly interested in drafting a quarterback in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft.

Visits. Private meetings. Pro days. They’ve exhausted plenty of jet fuel learning everything possible about the top prospects in this class.

Very nice things have been said about Daniel Jones, and there’s no doubt the men in charge of this team sincerely mean those nice things. But the spring of ‘24 for the Giants has mirrored the spring of 2018 for the Buffalo Bills. GM Joe Schoen and head coach Brian Daboll are determined to learn everything they possibly can about LSU’s Jayden Daniels, North Carolina’s Drake Maye and Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy.

It takes two. Barring drastic change, the Chicago Bears will select Caleb Williams No. 1 and the Washington Commanders will take Daniels No. 2. Which makes New England Patriots boss Eliot Wolf the NFL’s mystery man this week. Does he fear the Patriots may not get this opportunity again at QB and take his big swing right now? Or does he take a gander at the sad roster Bill Belichick left behind and auction off the No. 3 pick for draft capital? A strong case can be made for both decisions.

He has eager trade partners and, for all we know, parameters for a potential deal are being ironed out.

The Minnesota Vikings can dangle the 11th and 23rd overall picks, and Kevin O’Connell joked that he has already sent Robert Kraft a bouquet of flowers. But Schoen can offer the premium pick (No. 6) for a chance at a premium player (Malik Nabers? Rome Odunze?) at a position currently occupied by a batch of Jabar Gaffneys in Foxborough. The QB tax will be high. But it’s on Schoen to put an arm around Daboll in a dimly lit room and promise to make Wolf an offer he can’t refuse.

Both were hired to get this position right in New Jersey because both played crucial roles in getting it right in Buffalo after a 17-year malaise.

No way will either show their hand.

But the gut feeling here is that both Schoen and Daboll will do everything they can to land Drake Maye.

Start with the Combine quote from Schoen’s longtime friend in the business, his former pickup basketball foe.

Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane nailed it:
          “We got criticized a little bit for how much we gave up for Josh, and I’m like, ‘Well if he doesn’t work out, I’m not going to be here anyway. If he does work out, nobody’s going to give a shit.’”

Hit on the quarterback pick, and it’s true. Nobody will give a damn what it cost.

Hit on the wide receiver pick, win a few more games, and the Giants run the risk of dreaded 8-9 gridlocked traffic. Thrust right back into the hunt for a quarterback.

Maye represents the ultimate win-win. Even those who believe in the UNC QB (raises hand) will admit he’d benefit from watching from the sideline. Not as a Day 1 starter like Zach Wilson with the clown-show outfit that also inhabits MetLife Stadium. With the Giants, Maye can genuinely sit for a good chunk of his first season. If not all 17 games. The Giants can give Daniel Jones a fair chance to perform in Year 2 of his deal. Obviously, he wouldn’t enjoy sharing a QB room with his eventual replacement. But if this welcomes a good ‘ol fashioned NYC tabloid quarterback controversy by Week 8, so be it. That’s the NFL. Big-boy pants are required.

After two neck injuries and a torn ACL, Jones’ health alone demands the Giants draft a quarterback. His game is widely known. He has played 62 games.

Pressure in New York is always different. Maybe the Giants make the playoffs, maybe not. What’s most important for Schoen and Daboll is that — by season’s end — both can sell a true vision at the most important position.

Both should want to make their move at what they know best: Quarterbacks.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Nobody in this forum possesses the resumes Harbaugh and Hortiz have, and they have given us no reason to not have faith in what they're doing. That should be kept in mind before anyone starts whining about the first pick Harbaugh and Hortiz make together.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Might already been mentioned, but Chargers met with Xavier Legitte...eleventh hour...kinda interesting...as a big, physical guy with some speed, who can block...he is still very underdeveloped as a route runner...I dunno...37 seems high, with the other talent on the board...maybe he makes it to 69?
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Joel Klatt's last mock is a well done piece.

​​​​

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

What if the Jets pick Fuaga at #10? I've seen mocks with that happening.
                  On the other hand, a lot of mocks have the Jets taking Bowers. So if they want to take Fuaga and leave Bowers to the Chargers, I'd be okay with that.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                    Might already been mentioned, but Chargers met with Xavier Legitte...eleventh hour...kinda interesting...as a big, physical guy with some speed, who can block...he is still very underdeveloped as a route runner...I dunno...37 seems high, with the other talent on the board...maybe he makes it to 69?
                    The meet up was for the Chargers to decide what cluster to put him in.

Whichever pick that turns out to be, when it's on the clock, Hortiz will look at who's left in the cluster and go from there.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Nobody in this forum possesses the resumes Harbaugh and Hortiz have, and they have given us no reason to not have faith in what they're doing. That should be kept in mind before anyone starts whining about the first pick Harbaugh and Hortiz make together.
                      I expect the pick to be epic. It will be a pick that makes their team vision a reality. I have much more confidence in Hortiz than I did in TT. If that choice is a CB... so be it... I missed it... I will do better next time.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

On the other hand, a lot of mocks have the Jets taking Bowers. So if they want to take Fuaga and leave Bowers to the Chargers, I'd be okay with that.
                        I would be surprised if the Jets didn't take Fashanu @#10. Trone Smith is not a long-term solution @LT.
                        If the Jets select Fuaga... then Fashanu would be the BPA @#11... maybe Bowers.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

With all due respect, the new admin hasn't had many opportunities to fuck up yet, so I understand people's reluctance to blindly trust.

IMO, it's unlikely Hortiz will botch this draft and leave us forum members scratching our <body parts of choice>.in disbelief.

Comment

Working...
                          X