• Show
Clear All
  • JOJAX85
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Irmo, SC
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Yea...Im reading "reach" and "big mistake" from some fans on here... cuz he's not their guy...ridiculous...if Harbaugh AND Joe Hortiz pick Latham over all those guys, dont you think they have a reason? Who are we to question that? Im sure they would like to trade back and get him, but if nobody is dealing? They arent gonna say "well...we wanted Latham, he is perfect for us...but we should pick Alt or Nabors, cuz it wont be viewed as a reach by fans and media...we dont wanna look bad..."

By the way...not my guy either...but if Jim n Joe pick him, he sure as hell will be my guy THEN...
    This is where I'm with it as well. Not who I would pick, but I'm not the one trying to turn this mess of a franchise around. If that's who they think will help us be a mauling type team and that in turn gets us a ring then it was the right call no matter what pick he was taken.

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Yea...Im reading "reach" and "big mistake" from some fans on here... cuz he's not their guy...ridiculous...if Harbaugh AND Joe Hortiz pick Latham over all those guys, dont you think they have a reason? Who are we to question that? Im sure they would like to trade back and get him, but if nobody is dealing? They arent gonna say "well...we wanted Latham, he is perfect for us...but we should pick Alt or Nabors, cuz it wont be viewed as a reach by fans and media...we dont wanna look bad..."

By the way...not my guy either...but if Jim n Joe pick him, he sure as hell will be my guy THEN...
      I don’t think big mistake at all.
      Taking Latham at 5 is a reach and that’s not a reach to say that. Hortiz doesn’t reach.
      Thats a lot of serious talent to pass up at 5.
      I get the reasoning, but jeez I’d hope they move back if Latham is the guy. Alt works too.
      No ones saying these players wont be good but the positional value at 5 is just so amazing this year.

This is for a RT, folks….

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

This is where I'm with it as well. Not who I would pick, but I'm not the one trying to turn this mess of a franchise around. If that's who they think will help us be a mauling type team and that in turn gets us a ring then it was the right call no matter what pick he was taken.
        You only pick Latham is if he is the best pure football player on your draft board. Period. This is a top 5 pick. You don't go drafting for need - you draft for talent

Or y ou trade back, get more picks and pick the position you want to draft

Maybe the pick is Latham - and thats fine as long as they are true to their draft board. You are helping the league if you don't pick the top non QB on your draft board by taking Latham or Alt. And its not even about well he is ranked 5th on the draft board and we are picking 5 - but what if Nabers is ranked 3rd and you didn't pick him - thats bad drafting

When you are a shitty team with a 5-12 record drafting 5th with a helluva lot of needs - you don't leave talent on the draft board. So as long as they have Latham or any OT the highest ranked player on their board and they stick to their board, thats a good pick

Comment

• Jack Burton
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

You only pick Latham is if he is the best pure football player on your draft board. Period. This is a top 5 pick. You don't go drafting for need - you draft for talent

Or y ou trade back, get more picks and pick the position you want to draft

Maybe the pick is Latham - and thats fine as long as they are true to their draft board. You are helping the league if you don't pick the top non QB on your draft board by taking Latham or Alt. And its not even about well he is ranked 5th on the draft board and we are picking 5 - but what if Nabers is ranked 3rd and you didn't pick him - thats bad drafting
          And the history in BALT isn’t to do bad drafting.
          Not that all of their picks work out but they don’t reach.
          Latham at 5, seems like a reach…

I really find it hard to believe that Nabers is ranked behind a RT in terms of BPA.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

He might be a "Keenan like" injury steal...if you feel ok about the foot...at #37!? What a deal.

That would just be...well...NUTTY!
            I see what you did there. LOL!
            If that indeed happened... then karma does exist.
            Nutty's been waiting on OT and CB too damn long!

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

JC Latham is Simm's OT1 FWIW
              Are some of under-selling him?
              comps to Wirfs, Sewell.
              length, power, anchor
              So, between Simms and other draftniks who have Latham at #2 OT, maybe he's NOT such a reach...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

And the history in BALT isn’t to do bad drafting.
                Not that all of their picks work out but they don’t reach.
                Latham at 5, seems like a reach…

I really find it hard to believe that Nabers is ranked behind a RT in terms of BPA.
                Hortiz said it - the Ravens signed Marcus Williams at S in free agency and still drafted Kyle Hamilton
                The names I have seen with mock drafts having Latham at 5 - like Shrager (he is a fan boy of McVay, Saleh, Shanahan, even Staley), Jeremiah knows Hortiz, a couple others think it as well- I think its all bull shit. Now maybe they will be proven correct but I don't see how a guy like Latham is ranked higher than Nabers or Bowers or Odunze - don't see it

I don't care if the pick is Latham just as long as that is the best football player on the draft board that isn't a QB.

I think its all a smokescreen or just BS being put out

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, between Simms and other draftniks who have Latham at #2 OT, maybe he's NOT such a reach...
                  I was initially against Latham but I think I would love to have either him or Alt. I'm ok even at #5. Both of them are absolute monsters.
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

This isn't about #1 or #2 OT or any position - this is looking at yoru draft board and going down the list and picking the player ranked highest on your board that isn't a QB

if that is Dallas turner or Latham, so be it.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Hortiz said it - the Ravens signed Marcus Williams at S in free agency and still drafted Kyle Hamilton
                      The names I have seen with mock drafts having Latham at 5 - like Shrager (he is a fan boy of McVay, Saleh, Shanahan, even Staley), Jeremiah knows Hortiz, a couple others think it as well- I think its all bull shit. Now maybe they will be proven correct but I don't see how a guy like Latham is ranked higher than Nabers or Bowers or Odunze - don't see it

I don't care if the pick is Latham just as long as that is the best football player on the draft board that isn't a QB.

Alt and Latham are the safest bets at a position of great urgency, with necessary attitude for the style of play we want to implement. Culture change starts with these types of players, leaders.

Nabers is a boom/bust pic with diva written all over him, limited production in college aside from one year. Don't get enamored with solely the physical traits. He will start to complain in year 2 about not enough touches or having to block so much. This guy is not a fit here IMO.

I would take Odunze over Nabers if we HAD to pick WR. But we can/will address WR later.

I was on the Bowers hype train a couple months ago but he is undersized and benefitted from playing in a very gimmicky system. Not at #5, no thanks.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Latham's not a clean prospect by any stretch: some scouts accuse him of going on auto pilot for long stretches.
                        He's the guy who let the edge player over him blow up the final play against Michigan.

He's a heavy guy and might have to pace himself more than most.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Its very possible that one well respected draftnik pulled the Latham selection out of his ass, and then a lot of minnows followed suite.

Comment

Working...
                          X