• Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

More Concussion Related News

Deadspin article

I keep trying to figure out why I keep coming back to this game.

I guess because the game itself, is awesome to watch.

But man, the NFL is concerned about one thing, and one thing only, $$$.

But every year, new players, new coaches, new hope...and I jump right back on the train.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • Geezbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Sun Valley, ID
    • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
    Deadspin article

I keep trying to figure out why I keep coming back to this game.

I guess because the game itself, is awesome to watch.

But man, the NFL is concerned about one thing, and one thing only, $$$.

But every year, new players, new coaches, new hope...and I jump right back on the train.
    Don't feel bad Coach, I'm the same way. I've had this discussion with a good friend of mine who is a psychiatrist. He understands the causes and intricacies of CTE far better than I ever will, yet he is a hardcore Redskins fan and he doesn't understand why he keeps coming back to the game either.

Comment

• Faded blues
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2013
      • Send PM

Being a football player is just as dangerous as a lot of occupations.

A player understands the risks.

Don't forget that the funding is being provided by the Democrats who dislike the NFL cause they never sponsored the aca as Obama wanted them too.

It's politics as usual.

Everybody is in it for themselves should not shock anyone.

On a side note, don't be surprised if headers are banned in soccer.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

To me it's a little like tobacco. People participate knowing there are likely/almost certain health risks because anecdotal evidence suggests it. When epidemiological study finally takes place, industry tries to suppress or manage the information flow. Now people are outraged and it isn't any longer an issue of THEIR decisions. It's an issue of the industry's decisions. Industry gets pounded with lawsuits.

It may sound like semantics, but it's not. There is shared blame, but ultimately the industry takes the rap because they weren't honest about what they knew. But let's be clear that even the participants weren't honest about what they knew or what they expected.

In this case, sure the NFL should have been more forthright more quickly. But it seems a little disingenuous when I hear about the players suing. It's not exactly like this is news to them. More like a financial opportunity.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          To me it's a little like tobacco. People participate knowing there are likely/almost certain health risks because anecdotal evidence suggests it. When epidemiological study finally takes place, industry tries to suppress or manage the information flow. Now people are outraged and it isn't any longer an issue of THEIR decisions. It's an issue of the industry's decisions. Industry gets pounded with lawsuits.

It may sound like semantics, but it's not. There is shared blame, but ultimately the industry takes the rap because they weren't honest about what they knew. But let's be clear that even the participants weren't honest about what they knew or what they expected.

In this case, sure the NFL should have been more forthright more quickly. But it seems a little disingenuous when I hear about the players suing. It's not exactly like this is news to them. More like a financial opportunity.
          Great take.
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• HoneDogNoglet
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Tony Gwynn?

Comment

• floydefisher
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • siberiacuse, ny
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
              Being a football player is just as dangerous as a lot of occupations.

A player understands the risks.

Don't forget that the funding is being provided by the Democrats who dislike the NFL cause they never sponsored the aca as Obama wanted them too.

It's politics as usual.

Everybody is in it for themselves should not shock anyone.

On a side note, don't be surprised if headers are banned in soccer.
              Might as well ban BMX biking too....one of theirs dies from CTE as well. Can't be too careful now can we.

First thing we ought to be doing is figuring out how to diagnose CTE in the early stages while people are still alive. Waiting until they are on the autopsy table isn't exactly cutting it IMHO.
              sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                Don't feel bad Coach, I'm the same way. I've had this discussion with a good friend of mine who is a psychiatrist. He understands the causes and intricacies of CTE far better than I ever will, yet he is a hardcore Redskins fan and he doesn't understand why he keeps coming back to the game either.
                It's built into our nature as humans to take risks and seek adventure. We also like to watch and support those who push the boundaries farther than we ourselves are comfortable with. That there may be dangerous after or side effects only increases our interest at times.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Yep. What does:

Skydiving
                  Sailing, scuba diving
                  Motor racing
                  Mountain climbing
                  Space exploration
                  Fire fighting
                  Police work
                  WAR

All have in common? You can DIE or get seriously injured participating in these occupations and hobbies at any time. But it doesn't stop humans from engaging in dangerous activities willingly and fully aware of the risks. That's human nature. These things only become "problems" when special interests, politicians, and especially LAWYERS get involved because they see a way to advance their agenda - or make a buck. Sickening to me.

Beware if you like anything about sugar - that's the next frontier for the do-gooders and money grubbers.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The one thing which is being completely ignored, what are the CTE and concussion risks in other sports? Everyone is so focused on football, that the real crime is that other sports are underreporting concussions and people feel safe when they aren't. I had more concusions in track (especially indoor) than I did playing youth soccer and football.

Part of it will still be due to underreporting. I just don't think most people really know what the symptoms are even now, but especially back prior to a few years ago. People may be surprised that there is a much higher risk of concussions in all sports then people realize. I had a lot of friends who played soccer and complained of symptoms that we now recognize as a concussion, that back then they were just told to shake off, sspecially girls.

Also, I find it interesting to note that one of the few sports that has taken a more serious line on concussions has been rugby, but despite that, they have a much lower incident of concussions than many other sports. I am sure Rugby is underreporting some, I think everyone is, but it is just as much a contact sport, and there is NO pads or helmets. But even the goof off club teams I have seen seem to take technique fairly serious, and a lot of false bravado type of crap is just not as prevelent as in football. If I was the NFL, I would be trying to figure out if any of that is true, and if so, you have your answer to making football safer.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                      Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                      • Send PM

This just in! Repeated blows to the head not good for you. Also breaking, researchers believe there may be a link between playing with fire and getting burned.
                      Last edited by chargerkdb; 05-29-2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                        This just in! Repeated blows to the head not good for you. Also breaking, researchers believe there may be a link between playing with fire and getting burned.
                        Link?
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X