• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grinners
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Finally some love: NFL's 4 new playoff teams for 2016

Bout damn time we get some love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NFL's 4 new playoff teams for 2016
    Cowboys top list of likely candidates

The Cowboys, Raiders, Colts and Bolts -- yes, the Chargers -- look primed to rise

The 2015 NFL season once again featured heavy playoff fluctuation, with four new teams making the playoffs and four teams falling short of a return trip. It's funny to think about these teams now: how on earth were the Colts not winning the AFC South last year? Turns out a lack of defense and a several major injuries to a star quarterback are a recipe for bad football.

The NFL almost always features several teams who will make a leap up in the standings, either as a result of smart offseason additions or simply because they were dealt a better hand. Then there are the teams who drop off, either because they made mistakes or the ball bounced the other way, both in a literal and metaphorical sense.

Let's identify some candidates to rise up in 2016. We'll hit four that fall back later.
    (more at link)
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

If only we had a head coach who could take advantage of all the talent we have.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Faded blues
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        When did we hire.norv.back?

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
          When did we hire.norv.back?
          Seems we never got rid of him.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
            Hey now, no bashing my buddy Mike!

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If only we had talent our head coach could take advantage of.
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                If only we had talent our head coach could take advantage of.
                Like Roger Ailes does

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by B.V.W.S.B.GM View Post
                  Like Roger Ailes does
                  The casting couch is alive and well. And since he did it for so many years, he must have been successful at it.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

It's definitely POSSIBLE. We have a lot of pieces in place and in terms of being able to just score that extra 8-10 points per game to finish them, we are in good shape. Lost a bunch of close games in large part because of a horrible OL that won't allow us to run the ball and a D that allows tons of big plays. Fix those two things and I think we are most of the way there.

That being said, is it LIKELY? Probably not. Pagano definitely has had some great stretches where the Chargers play like a top D, but every season he has some equally long stretches where a major college team could give us troubles. We need a season where we go out and get other teams off the field. If it's turnovers that would help, but just a bunch of 3 and outs, or short drives would be fine.

Oliver and Gordon both break a lot of long runs, but those only average out to zero when you add in all the times they get tackled for a loss. And in terms of the OL, we are basically returning mostly the same OL, and we have to start the same LG who was horrible last year. If Slauson can solidify the interior and get the two OG to play up to their potential, we are in good shape. I'm more than a little worried about that (and it's not because of how Slauson will play).

The other thing is that it is going to be really tough to win the AFC West this year. I think Denver is going to struggle some, coming off a SB, and a terrible offense, but Kubiak knows how to get offensive production out of marginal talent (see Houston and Ravens), and their D and ST are top notch. If their QB can put together big drives at the right time, like Manning did last year, they will be tough again. KC should have won the division last year if not for a couple of fluky plays. But with Houston out(?) (he is the best OLB in football (pre-injury), not Miller), they may not be near as good on D. Oakland looks good on paper, although they need some help with turnover or need to make a big step up at receiver (like a TE and 2nd WR).

I don't think the division winner has to do much more than 10-6 or maybe 9-7, because everyone's division play is going to crush their overall record. Even though we have good teams (in the division), if you don't win the division outright, none of the rest will be a lock to make the playoffs. Probably one will make it, but it's not like it is a sure thing.
                    Last edited by Steve; 07-24-2016, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

We still have a long way to go to improve on 0-6 in our Division.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                        We still have a long way to go to improve on 0-6 in our Division.
                        We are sweeping the Raiders this year. I can tell you that much.

Comment

Working...
                        X