• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Our cap situation compells us to patiently invest one more season in allowing young players to develop.

My "realistic"roster build will involve retaining thus far underperforming Chargers, re-upping with some vets looking to have bounce back years, and late, late UFAs to fill in the gaps.

It will all be on the cheap...coupon god's back in town.
    I agree with this philosophy. Moving on from Bosa and Williams; trading Mack and figure out something with Allen that is Fitz like contracts. Main thing is not pushing more dead cap to the future as I will want that in the future (sure it can be done - just don't see the reason just yet)

The rest will be see what the young players from Telesco can do - and if not, keep bringing in players from other teams - keep churning the roster

Fill in around the edges with those one year deals for older players
    And see what I truly have so in free agency next year - can attack it with a clean cap and better vision

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
      Let's do this!
      • Aug 2022
      • Raleigh N. Carolina
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NYBoltFan View Post
      Need O-Line the most I think.
      CB

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree with this philosophy. Moving on from Bosa and Williams; trading Mack and figure out something with Allen that is Fitz like contracts. Main thing is not pushing more dead cap to the future as I will want that in the future (sure it can be done - just don't see the reason just yet)

The rest will be see what the young players from Telesco can do - and if not, keep bringing in players from other teams - keep churning the roster

Fill in around the edges with those one year deals for older players
        And see what I truly have so in free agency next year - can attack it with a clean cap and better vision
        I get not wanting to push cap to the future. But I keep asking, who is there you want to spend Mack money on? Who is available who would give us anything like that next year, or the year after even if Mack slumps a bit, cuz 80% Mack is better than 95% of the EDGEs out there, much less any of them who might become available.

Premium players cost big bucks, see Herbert’s contract. You don’t believe Mack is the Herbert of the D, fine. But it’s crazy to replace him with a buncha mid-tier FAs who won’t pressure anybody, just so you can “build for the future.” The future is now, Mack should be a part of that - yes, at his price tag. Dude has earned it, on the field (unlike 95% of FAs…). I sure don’t want to spend Mack’s money on non-premium players, we got those in bucketfuls already.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Don’t like your Oline at all, Woody:

Extend Pip to be a backup? Why? A lot of money for very little performance.

Salyer at G? Why? Natural position is RT.

Still no C? Why? Why??
          I have Centers. Explanation of my mockand connected roster build is coming today. A vet C will be brought in later.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

I get not wanting to push cap to the future. But I keep asking, who is there you want to spend Mack money on? Who is available who would give us anything like that next year, or the year after even if Mack slumps a bit, cuz 80% Mack is better than 95% of the EDGEs out there, much less any of them who might become available.

Premium players cost big bucks, see Herbert’s contract. You don’t believe Mack is the Herbert of the D, fine. But it’s crazy to replace him with a buncha mid-tier FAs who won’t pressure anybody, just so you can “build for the future.” The future is now, Mack should be a part of that - yes, at his price tag. Dude has earned it, on the field (unlike 95% of FAs…). I sure don’t want to spend Mack’s money on non-premium players, we got those in bucketfuls already.
            I am not worried about 2024. That was the problem with Telesco and Staley in the Spring of 2023. They pushed a shitload of cap for a team that wasn't ready to compete with the chiefs

The future is not now. The future is 2025-2028 - building a long term team that just isn't here for one year - its here for MULTIPLE years. Sure, the Chargers can move funds for Mack and Allen. Cap management like that isn't hard - anybody can do it. It doesn't make Ed McGuire a genius or anything - just ask Andrew Brandt

The NFL is not the NBA where one player can make a different. This is a team game and we have seen that depth has been a problem. For one Khalil Mack - the Chargers can get multiple players to fill it. Of course not one of them will be better than Mack but cumulatively - they can

And again, I am not necessarily opposed to Mack being back. I just think it has to be a smartly written contract - and not what the Bills gave Von Miller. If Mack wants that exact contract - trade him.

As for the future - I have no clue who will be free agents but I am willing to be average this year to be really good for MULTIPLE years. I want the cap space when the team has a chance to be GREAT for two years and not push for the 6th or 7th seed this year

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

If we cut or trade Bosa and Mack, we get cap relief and are left with Tuli and Rumph as our edge rushers. Tuli has a bright future and will improve but his best games were when he played with both Mack and Bosa. After Bosa got hurt, Tuli's production as a pass rusher fell off quite a bit. That would all but insure we'd have to sign (and probably overpay) a FA and draft another one very high. I'm guessing one of Bosa and Mack returns.

Comment

• Go Chargers go
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2023
                • Send PM

100% agree with ^
                Because Harbaugh was a player and also feel collage athletes should be paid…I think he will keep and pay Allen and Mack. This is a no brainer because you cannot replace this talent immediately. They are top performers with great skill and work ethic. These are guys all players look up to.

If we are looking to save some money on a player that is inconsistent, I would trade Derwin if the right value is there.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Go Chargers go View Post

100% agree with ^
                  Because Harbaugh was a player and also feel collage athletes should be paid…I think he will keep and pay Allen and Mack. This is a no brainer because you cannot replace this talent immediately. They are top performers with great skill and work ethic. These are guys all players look up to.

If we are looking to save some money on a player that is inconsistent, I would trade Derwin if the right value is there.
                  Like a lot of us have said, this isn’t a 1 year fix. But it doesn’t mean they can’t compete for the playoffs next year. Getting under the cap is very easy for them. In doing that, I think trying to keep Mack and Keenan will be very important for this upcoming season. But with these moves, they will be under the cap and have some money to spend.

Bosa and MW will be hard to trade with their injuries and contract. I would be very surprised if they could get a 5th for Bosa and a 6th for MW. You know what, I would take it in a heartbeat because something is better than nothing.

Mack and Allen, extend for 1 year and restructure.

Derwin is still young and thin he will be an All Pro again in Minters defense. So I would restructure his contract because they are out of cap he’ll in 2025.

Linsley is retiring and cut Kendricks.

Those moves and you have money to spend on some FAs.

With restructuring and extending Mack and Allen, restructuring Derwin, trading MW and Bosa, cutting Linsley, Rumph and Kendricks gets them to $25 mil under the cap.

Another player they might want to think about trading is Morgan Fox. The only system he has seemed to thrive in is the Staley/Vic Fangio. If you could get an extra 5th or 6th and some more cap relief, I’d do it in a heartbeat

A couple under the radar signings they could make are Edge Josh Uche and DT Maurice Hurst. Uche might be around 8-10 mil and Hurst will be around 4 mil. Uche is young so you could sign him to a 3 year deal and Hurst a 1 year stop gap player.

Last edited by Boltinloudguy; 01-28-2024, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

Man O man.....our big 4 of Mack @ 38.5, Bosa @ 36.6, KA @ 34.7 and MW @ 32.4 account for almost 53% of our current cap total for 2024 (per Spotrac). I see the need to off Bosa and MW for whatever a fire sale can bring. If KA and KM can be restuctured in some way along with DJ @ 19.8, then we have some room to dance. We need a GM that can bring us to the ballroom. Is that Brown or Hortiz?

Oh what a an interesting time the next 2 - 3 months are going to be and that doesn't even include the draft.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

After trading back and getting more picks (3rd round and two 4th rounders) I rebuild. I also hope for an extra 3rd rounder (via Mack trade)

QB: Herbert, Kaepernick
                      RB: Swift (FA), Devin Neal (4th), Spiller, Jaret Patterson
                      FB: Harbaugh employs a FB (???)
                      WR: KA (extension), Palmer, QJ, DD, Cornelius Johnson (6th)
                      TE: Hunter Henry (FA), Ben Sinnott (4th), Parham, (???)
                      OT: Slater, Salyer, Pipkins
                      OG: Zion, Zinter (4th), McFadden, Jaimes
                      OC: Sedrick Van Pratt (2nd), Drake Nugent (5th)

OLB/DE: Bosa (restructure), Tuli, Marshawn Kneeland (3rd), Rumph, Farmer
                      DT: Tito, Kris Jenkins (3rd), Fox, Hinton, Jared Harrison-Hunte (7th)
                      LB: Colson (3rd), Henly, Niemann (???)
                      S: Derwin, JT Woods, Layne, AJ Finley
                      CB: Kool-Aid (1st), ASJ, Ja'Sir, Deanne, Essang Bassey, (???)

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

This thread will also end up being our 2024 season discussion.

Comment

• Go Chargers go
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am not worried about 2024. That was the problem with Telesco and Staley in the Spring of 2023. They pushed a shitload of cap for a team that wasn't ready to compete with the chiefs

The future is not now. The future is 2025-2028 - building a long term team that just isn't here for one year - its here for MULTIPLE years. Sure, the Chargers can move funds for Mack and Allen. Cap management like that isn't hard - anybody can do it. It doesn't make Ed McGuire a genius or anything - just ask Andrew Brandt

The NFL is not the NBA where one player can make a different. This is a team game and we have seen that depth has been a problem. For one Khalil Mack - the Chargers can get multiple players to fill it. Of course not one of them will be better than Mack but cumulatively - they can

And again, I am not necessarily opposed to Mack being back. I just think it has to be a smartly written contract - and not what the Bills gave Von Miller. If Mack wants that exact contract - trade him.

As for the future - I have no clue who will be free agents but I am willing to be average this year to be really good for MULTIPLE years. I want the cap space when the team has a chance to be GREAT for two years and not push for the 6th or 7th seed this year
                          I think Mack is getting more money for less years than Von Miller. If for some reason Mack get injured in 24 then we move on from him as well. If we can extend him at a more favorable price it’s a good move. I’m just worried if we keep Bosa he is more likly to get injured. Thats a better question for the docs.
                          I have not done the research, but is Bosa injuries the same thing?

Comment

Working...
                          X