• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Exactly right, Chargers are in a good spot. I wish Prater had made the FGs so they are picking 4th but whatever

If the Cardinals trade out -- and they want Harrison, Chargers can open the bidding process. Hence why I think a deal probably is already being discussed
    Amen. I hated Prater as a Bronco and he has given me renewed reason to hate him after missing that very makable FG. Jerk.

For those thinking we will get two first round picks and a 3rd round, or a first, 2 seconds, a third and a fourth, or 3 first round picks for pick 5, I wish that were true. I really do. But realistically it isn't. Teams know the Chargers want to trade back and if 4th QB is available at our pick, remember he is the 4th best QB not the best. And if all the Qbs have been taken, as great as Harrison or Nabors may be, when is the last time a WR was the reason a team made it to and won a superbowl? Some teams will want our pick, but they are going to pay fair, not dream, value for it. Harbaugh has done well talking up McCarthy and starting this narrative that pick 5 is really the first pick in the draft (for teams that don't need a QB) but it is just talk. I think we are likely to get at most the two Viking first round picks best case. It goes down from there.

I do agree we are in a great spot and no matter what happens, the team will get better, the roster will get better. And Hortiz maybe could trade one of the VIking first round picks, if we get them, for multiple 2's and 3's.

Something's gotta break on WRs going forward. As SuperRodney points out (great couple of posts, btw) elite receivers are getting to the point that you cannot keep them. Jefferson, Chase, Hill, etc just command or make too much money. Perhaps the fact that the number of elite college Wrs seems to grow every year will match supply and demand. But for now, it almost feels like renting a WR for 4 years if you draft one, knowing that if he is elite he is gone or holding out in year 5.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Well the multi-team, multi-pick, Cardinals trade out of #4 (only to trade back to #5 and get MHJ) is only conjecture as well. In fact, with what Harbaugh said, it's very doubtful. If the Cards trade out of #4, MHJ is gone @#5. It's not pie-in-the-sky, or overly complicated. Harbaugh's message was pretty straight forward.

Question... if you're the Vikings, do you trade 2025's first round pick (along with both #11 and #23) to move up and get a guy who largely operated in a run-first college offense? Do the Vikings have so much confidence in the #4 QB that they are willing to be without a 1st and 2nd round pick next year? The Vikings are not a playoff team. They have other holes to fill... and have already mortgaged next year's 2nd round pick to move up to #11 and #23.

2nd Question... why did they move up to #23 after they couldn't re-sign Cousins? Is there a must-have @#23? The truth is the Vikings moved up enough to entice a team with a pre-determined trade-up... and apparently, that is not the Cardinals.

My conjecture is much more realistic (and exponentially less complicated) than your conjecture.
      But I know my conjecture is conjecture.
      Here’s a statement that’s not conjecture…
      QBs are always over drafted and over paid for. That’s just the reality of the league for many, many years.
      MIN is in the unenviable position many other teams have been in. And they all over paid. And so will MIN.

MIN got 23 because that’s what is acceptable to teams they are trading with. Parameters are set…

I never saw what Harbaugh said as, “We’re taking MH2 with 5”.
      I read it as if you want to come to 5, it’s going to cost you. Which is fairly an obvious statement to make IF 4 QBs are gone. I’d look at it as, Julio Jones is the base for a trade to go to 5 if MH2 is their target.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

QBs are always over drafted and over paid for. That’s just the reality of the league for many, many years.
        MIN is in the unenviable position many other teams have been in. And they all over paid. And so will MIN.

MIN got 23 because that’s what is acceptable to teams they are trading with. Parameters are set…

I read it as if you want to come to 5, it’s going to cost you. Which is fairly an obvious statement to make IF 4 QBs are gone. I’d look at it as, Julio Jones is the base for a trade to go to 5 if MH2 is their target.

Nothing like trading down for bags of Doritos and then trading down for more stale bags of Doritos...I would take 4 Day 1 starters than 6 maybes every day of the week...folks we need to be careful about getting to aggressive in moving down unless it just makes sense. Who's to say that pick #37 RT would not do an absolutely adequate job at RT vs. burning a high first rounder on RT.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Amen. I hated Prater as a Bronco and he has given me renewed reason to hate him after missing that very makable FG. Jerk.

For those thinking we will get two first round picks and a 3rd round, or a first, 2 seconds, a third and a fourth, or 3 first round picks for pick 5, I wish that were true. I really do. But realistically it isn't. Teams know the Chargers want to trade back and if 4th QB is available at our pick, remember he is the 4th best QB not the best. And if all the Qbs have been taken, as great as Harrison or Nabors may be, when is the last time a WR was the reason a team made it to and won a superbowl? Some teams will want our pick, but they are going to pay fair, not dream, value for it. Harbaugh has done well talking up McCarthy and starting this narrative that pick 5 is really the first pick in the draft (for teams that don't need a QB) but it is just talk. I think we are likely to get at most the two Viking first round picks best case. It goes down from there.

I do agree we are in a great spot and no matter what happens, the team will get better, the roster will get better. And Hortiz maybe could trade one of the VIking first round picks, if we get them, for multiple 2's and 3's.

Something's gotta break on WRs going forward. As SuperRodney points out (great couple of posts, btw) elite receivers are getting to the point that you cannot keep them. Jefferson, Chase, Hill, etc just command or make too much money. Perhaps the fact that the number of elite college Wrs seems to grow every year will match supply and demand. But for now, it almost feels like renting a WR for 4 years if you draft one, knowing that if he is elite he is gone or holding out in year 5.

TG
          If the scenario works out that the Cardinals trade back from 4 to 11 with the Vikings and the Cardinals want to move back up - I would be happy with 11, the Cardinals 2nd and 3rd rounders. Granted, if the Cardinals want MHJr, they would have to move back to 5 to get him but the Chargers cannot overplay it either.

I think for the Vikings to get to 4 - I think 11 and 23 plus a future Day 2 pick probably works

Vikings than trade back to 5 and give up 11, and either 27 or the 2nd and 3rd -- which means the Cardinals would get pick 23 from 27 and a future day 2 pick for moving down 1 spot.

If the Cardinals wanted to keep 2nd and 3rd over 27 - thats fine, will take 11 and 27

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

As much as people want to manufacture Nabers, Bowers, or Odunze into players that even approach MHJ's talent/potential... the fact remains that MHJ is most people's #1 Non-QB prospect. When Harbaugh talks about the #1 Non-QB prospect, who do you think he's talking about...? Who do you think he's directing that comment to...?

Overpaying for QB talent has bitten many teams in the ass. I believe those days are gone.
            A Chargers/Vikings trade is still skewed in the Chargers favor (310 points). I find it really hard to believe that the Vikings are willing to go into the 2025 draft without a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Go Chargers go View Post

Makes you wonder if Herbert is on the trade block come draft day. If Harbaugh made it to SB with Kap….what is he thinking this time. He obviously doesn’t like to pay players. When you look at Big Ben, Eli Manning and that they both won Super Bowls with Rookie contracts… it’s harder with A Franchise QB…..ask Payton and Tom about that…..Tom was smart to take pay cuts to get better OL.

do you think Herbert will take a pay cut next year if they don’t make PO.
              This is tough, Raider fans, Minnesota fans come in here pretending to be Charger fans, fanning the flames of bugus rumors.

No matter how much you want it to happen Herbert is not going anywhere.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

This is tough, Raider fans, Minnesota fans come in here pretending to be Charger fans, fanning the flames of bugus rumors.

No matter how much you want it to happen Herbert is not going anywhere.
                When was the last time minnesota had a bona fide QB? Fran Tarkington? The rest of them over the last 20 years have been recycled plastic products. And this coming from a long term historical connection to Vikings family fans for decades too...LOL!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

As much as people want to manufacture Nabers, Bowers, or Odunze into players that even approach MHJ's talent/potential... the fact remains that MHJ is most people's #1 Non-QB prospect. When Harbaugh talks about the #1 Non-QB prospect, who do you think he's talking about...? Who do you think he's directing that comment to...?

Overpaying for QB talent has bitten many teams in the ass. I believe those days are gone.
                  A Chargers/Vikings trade is still skewed in the Chargers favor (310 points). I find it really hard to believe that the Vikings are willing to go into the 2025 draft without a 1st and 2nd round pick.
                  I think Harbaugh is saying to get to 5 you need a Julio Jones type deal. He is specifically bringing up the value of 5 in terms of a team trading up to 5. That’s why he went out of his way to talk about how valuable it is.

You saying those days are over is conjecture.
                  Teams are trading up for QBs nearly every single year as recently as the last draft.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

all depends on how the Vikings view the QB position - whether they are willing to give up that much to move from 11 to 4

I think its fairly easy trades on both fronts
                    MN trades 11, 23 and a 2025 3rd or 4th for pick number 4

If AZ wants Harrison back at 5 it would cost them 11 and either 27 or 35 + 71

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

When was the last time minnesota had a bona fide QB? Fran Tarkington? The rest of them over the last 20 years have been recycled plastic products. And this coming from a long term historical connection to Vikings family fans for decades too...LOL!

Wade Wilson was not terrible. They had Favre when he was done, they also had Cunningham but he was hurt and could not run anymore. So yea you are right they have not had a bona fide QB in forever.

Fran Tarkington says "That's Incredible!"

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Harbaugh message: If you want the #5 pick be prepared to pay a hefty price.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Oh, man, what a hoot...the only thing legendary about English is that he was a legendary bust...

image.png
                          https://www.chargers.com/photos/char...sented-by-nike
                          Chargers "legend" Larry English was joined by other "legends": Bryan Still was there; Sammy Davis; with a special guest appearance from current "legend" Jerry Tillery.

Comment

Working...
                          X