• Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    Me three, BoltNut and Rich. Isn’t this great?

Instead of hoping we have a a great coach/team, I feel like we really do.

Gonna be some rough patches. Some things are going to change and some of us won;t like it or will question it (cough cough Keenan) and in today’s fantasy football way of looking at the game, our team may not be exciting. But we are going to win and dominate and attract and retain great players and be a coaching development farm and frustrate fans of other teams. I think players are really going to want to be a part of this.

Chargering is OVER. Being called soft is OVER. Being the most talented roster to not win is OVER

TG
    What ???????????
    I'm with this team for that reason since 79 !

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

What ???????????
      I'm with this team for that reason since 79 !
      Defense is exciting, too. I became a fan when I watched my first live football game at the Murph in 1975. Three rookies started on the defensive line. Louie Kelcher, Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, and Fred Dean were pretty exciting.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

name one backup OT on the Chargers roster the last decade that was better than Pipkins. Don't say Salyer, he's DQ'd as a current starting OG.

Answer: There were none, zero, nada.

A trade - ok, for what - a late 2025 draft pick? best I can even imagine is Rd5, which is generally ST/scrub zone. Trade for a good backup at a different position? ok, maybe there. I doubt they trade him for a different backup OT.

Do they draft two starting-grade OTs? I know guys love their trench but Idunno that they'll start stockpiling tackles while ignoring the rest of the team roster. That would feel myopic to me.
        I suppose you're correct that Pip is technically better than the likes of Norton, Barksdale, Clary, Fluker, etc. However, I think Harbo and Roman want to ramp up our ground game, and Pip has never really been much of a run blocker. Now, if they think they can coach him up, maybe they hold off on drafting a RT this draft. I do think we need a solid RG for both pass pro and run blocking for our ground game, so I rate that as a higher PON...but at some point I still think they will need a better run-blocking RT...I suppose the question is, do they draft one early or later? Or, as you speculated, maybe they sign a decent run-blocking old FA RT...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Right on. Harbaugh was sometimes too competitive for his own level of talent, but there is a fire that burns in the guy. I remember a game against the Vikings that was pretty well in hand and Harbaugh audibled to a pass that was a pick six that started a VIking comeback to a victory. Man was Ditka ticked. Harbaugh while very young did not back down from the domineering Ditka. He just said it’s MIke’s team and he can do what he wants when Ditka said through the media that the next time Harbaugh did this he was benched. Permanently
          no one is going to accuse mike dikta of having been some great coach, his record with quarterbacks is atrocious, the man was likable in his tough guy way or whatever and all that but he was a fucking idiot, it not for Buddy Ryan he would've never sniffed a Super Bowl...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

There were several different ways to cut salary. None of us had Joey staying and KA going for a 4th rounder. MW was the first to fall when the cap requirements were due.

Your Ridiculously High Floor WR better be a ridiculously high-end run/pass blocker. This team is OL-Centric... it's going to run the ball and protect the QB. Because if the choice comes down to #5 Nabers, or #6 Alt... I think we all know which way it's going...

EDGE doesn't meet #5 requirements (and we're 3 deep) this draft.
            I’m with you on OL-centric, of course. But that doesn’t require a first round pick any more than it requires OL taken with every pick lol. Relax.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I read over your initial post (and agree with most of it). But I'll address the "over-spending at the OT position" part of the post...

1) I don't believe that Alt (or any other high calibur college LT) to play RT is that big of a risk. There are numerous high-caliber college LT's that made long-term transitions to RT. Layne Johnson, Orlando Brown Jr., Penei Sewell just to name a few of the many.

2) If you are going to factor Pipkin's $8.9m into Alt's salary in 2024, then it's fair to factor in the contract savings for 2025 if Pipkins gets cut or traded after 2024 ($6.75m). The contract is bad. The contract is done. Create a way to get out from under it in 2025. I'm sure Hortiz can find several low-price/high reward FA's for that money. In the end, I don't think Pipkins can do what Roman wants his RT to do. And that is the real value of Alt @#5 or Fuaga @#11. There is almost no way I see Pipkins being worth $9.25m in 2025 if he can't do what Roman needs. If that is the case, then we're drafting a RT in 2025 anyways. If they're drafting a RT in 2025, it probably won't be @#5... and you're probably getting a RT-only (rather than an OT that could play both sides. That only adds additional value to Joe Alt.

3) The real value of Joe Alt is his ability to play LT also. We have no idea what is on the horizon with Rashawn Slater. And I'm not only talking about a future contract. I'm considering future health or scheme fit, too. I'm pretty sure that scheme fit won't be a problem... but he already sat out most of 2022 with an injury. Injuries happen. And an OL-Centric team better have answers for injuries along the OL. Which is Pipkins only value, IMO. In that scenario, Salyer becomes valuable, too. But like you say... he's penciled in @RG. The real value of Joe Alt is 2 or 3-fold.

4) The #5 pick (or #11 pick) demand the same money regardless of the position. The only consideration should be effect on your overall team. The Chargers decided that EDGE (over WR) had the greater value this off-season. After this off-season's moves... I don't think over-spending (or under-spending) at one particular position is much of a consideration at all for this GM/coaching staff. If there was a position I think THIS staff would "over-spend" on... it would be OT. I think your theory about "Position Value" (with this staff) is but a small consideration for this particular group.
              Good thinking, nutball! Alt is the pick if gaining LT hedge while improving RT now are both a priority, as he is the best LT. IF their priority focus is only to upgrade RT, then there are cheaper (later) guys who are better rush blockers that would let them improve the team in other areas more - they are just not as suited to switch over to left side if needed.

Of they may decide their current RG is competition enough for RT and roll into camp with Salyer and Pip. They can draft a possible RG even cheaper in draft cost than RT. I think odd are low on this scenario, as this is a good draft to upgrade RT in.

In almost all cases, I expect they keep Pipkins on the 2024 roster as either starter or depth. I just don’t expect enough trade value and i strongly disagree that some 6th round scrub pick will be better than Pipkins as backup just cuz. Sarrell was much worse when he was called on to play - cut Sarrell for the scrub if such a scrub can even make the team. We talk about improving depth for years here and the second we possibly upgrade RT some here want to immediately cut the next best player - eg. Depth!
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

With Dline Coach Mike Elston, are we sleeping on what he could do for a player like Jarrod Clark? A lot of people were pretty high on him when they signed him as a UDFA last year. I do think Clark makes this team this year as the NT and makes an impact.

I am also excited to see what he can do with CJ Okoye this whole year. I believe he has another year of development on the PS without counting as a spot on the PS.

I’m pretty torn on when to take a DT in this draft. I would love for them to take Kris Jenkins. I think he’s gone in the 2nd, but I think they go either CB or WR in the 2nd. My goal would be to try and get as many picks between 60-160 as possible.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I’m with you on OL-centric, of course. But that doesn’t require a first round pick any more than it requires OL taken with every pick lol. Relax.
                  When Harbaugh says, "Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind"... I don't think he means... "Head on down to Bourbon Street with a 9-mm tucked into the front of your pants"... I think that's a little too enthusiastic... even for Harbaugh.

I think they're looking for tough and strong... guys that will out-physical the guy across from them. That doesn't sound like Trey Pipkins. So if you got someone in mind like that... say, around the #11 pick... let me know.

As for later picks... I would welcome that conversation. I've got all kinds of ideas about #23, #37, #69, and the two 4th round picks. Because, as you say, WR doesn't require a first round pick any more than it requires WR be taken with every pick lol. Relax, indeed.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                    With Dline Coach Mike Elston, are we sleeping on what he could do for a player like Jarrod Clark? A lot of people were pretty high on him when they signed him as a UDFA last year. I do think Clark makes this team this year as the NT and makes an impact.

I am also excited to see what he can do with CJ Okoye this whole year. I believe he has another year of development on the PS without counting as a spot on the PS.

I’m pretty torn on when to take a DT in this draft. I would love for them to take Kris Jenkins. I think he’s gone in the 2nd, but I think they go either CB or WR in the 2nd. My goal would be to try and get as many picks between 60-160 as possible.
                    Jarrod Clarke is a scrub - borderline roster 3rd stringer who is as likely to be on PS as the bottom 5 of the 53 roster inactive every week. He’s scout team material.

A lot of people hype up about some UDFA every year and are almost always way wrong. I still remember the Summer of Grice fondly …I’m really more disappointed this crew turned on Matlock so quickly - he was hyped alot more than Clarke as our secret weapon yet he is getting zero rep this spring. He needs to hire a new publicist. He’d not only shred OGs at DT immediately, he’d also play offense at FB, H-back, and TE and score a half dozen TDs. Red Zone Magic!

Given Jim’s affinity for Rockford, … Matlock is a natural compiiment, yet … nada. Zilch. Sigh.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Jarrod Clarke is a scrub - borderline roster 3rd stringer who is as likely to be on PS as the bottom 5 of the 53 roster inactive every week. He’s scout team material.

A lot of people hype up about some UDFA every year and are almost always way wrong. I still remember the Summer of Grice fondly …I’m really more disappointed this crew turned on Matlock so quickly - he was hyped alot more than Clarke as our secret weapon yet he is getting zero rep this spring. He needs to hire a new publicist. He’d not only shred OGs at DT immediately, he’d also play offense at FB, H-back, and TE and score a half dozen TDs. Red Zone Magic!

Given Jim’s affinity for Rockford, … Matlock is a natural compiiment, yet … nada. Zilch. Sigh.
                      You could probably say that about a lot of players on this team because of the coaching staff they had the last 3 years. Very little development!!!

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Good thinking, nutball! Alt is the pick if gaining LT hedge while improving RT now are both a priority, as he is the best LT. IF their priority focus is only to upgrade RT, then there are cheaper (later) guys who are better rush blockers that would let them improve the team in other areas more - they are just not as suited to switch over to left side if needed.

Of they may decide their current RG is competition enough for RT and roll into camp with Salyer and Pip. They can draft a possible RG even cheaper in draft cost than RT. I think odd are low on this scenario, as this is a good draft to upgrade RT in.

In almost all cases, I expect they keep Pipkins on the 2024 roster as either starter or depth. I just don’t expect enough trade value and i strongly disagree that some 6th round scrub pick will be better than Pipkins as backup just cuz. Sarrell was much worse when he was called on to play - cut Sarrell for the scrub if such a scrub can even make the team. We talk about improving depth for years here and the second we possibly upgrade RT some here want to immediately cut the next best player - eg. Depth!
                        Yeah, I doubt they get anything for Pipkins in trade. He's a development guy that didn't develop (certainly not to the level TT envisioned). Why wouldn't a team go look in the 4th or 5th round for that kind of guy? Who would pay for a guy scheduled to make $9m this year and $9m next year?

The fact that Pipkins is making more than Slater doesn't mean that you wouldn't/shouldn't draft an OT. It simply means that you over-paid for a guy that didn't develop. The fact that the Chargers haven't valued the RT (or couldn't draft one properly)... has left us in desperate situations (hence the re-signing of Pipkins... or signing of broken down Baluga... or starting Storm/Tevi over Pip). I think those days are over. Keep Pip as depth for year...? Sure. No problem with me there. Expect that new coaches magically transform him into a physical run blocker or dependable QB protection...? Nah, I'm not going that far. Go fix the problem. Stop accepting mediocrity... the new regime is not like the old regime.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

You could probably say that about a lot of players on this team because of the coaching staff they had the last 3 years. Very little development!!!
                          And a lot of those coaches go on to coach for othr staffs. Meanwhile, most of the players never develop (with us or other teams). Harbaugh said, coaching is great, but you have to have qulity players, too.

I prefer some of the 2nd round DT's (including Jenkins). Very good group at the front end.
                          Jenkins, Orhorohor, Taylor, Fiske (along with Newton and Murphy who are projected to go in the 1st round)... there will be a Jesse Minter type DT @#37 that will make our DL one that finally brings pressure up the middle. Most of the NFL has figured this out and have started drfating IDL that bring pressure in the early rounds.

Comment

Working...
                          X