• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Pipkins was not "fine" in 2022. His PFF grade was 59.2. PFF is not the see-all and be-all final say... but I trust them more than the people that say he was "fine" in 2022. You don't have to look at the final 2-minutes of any particular game or two. Watch him game-in and game-out. There are many times he gets beat in both the run game and pass protect. Harbaugh doesn't want to be "fine" at running the ball... he wants to be very good at running the ball. Orlando Brown Jr. was very good for Roman @Baltimore (75+pff every year for Roman). That's your measuring stick... not Pipkin's 2022 or 2023 years. Those years might be "fine" for you... but I doubt they're "fine" for Roman.

Suggesting someone was "fine" because others were worse around him is not a very compelling arguement. If Salyer can't handle the RG position... go find someone who can... whether that is in the draft or via FA... do it. They did that @center... why not RG and RT...?
    If someone on the O line is worse, why so much shit on Pipkins? What about posting shit on the guys that were worse? That's my complaint.
    Not that Pipkins is all that, but we have bigger problems running and blocking with the OGs and center is a wait and see. A good argument can
    be made that we need to first fix the OGs in order to have a dominant run game. But no word on if we're drafting an OG in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th
    round. Nope it's ROT or nothing on the O line. If fact we may even take an OT @5 with Harrison, Nabers and Odunze there. Ridiculous if you
    ask me.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Pipkins was not "fine" in 2022. His PFF grade was 59.2. PFF is not the see-all and be-all final say... but I trust them more than the people that say he was "fine" in 2022. You don't have to look at the final 2-minutes of any particular game or two. Watch him game-in and game-out. There are many times he gets beat in both the run game and pass protect. Harbaugh doesn't want to be "fine" at running the ball... he wants to be very good at running the ball. Orlando Brown Jr. was very good for Roman @Baltimore (75+pff every year for Roman). That's your measuring stick... not Pipkin's 2022 or 2023 years. Those years might be "fine" for you... but I doubt they're "fine" for Roman.

Suggesting someone was "fine" because others were worse around him is not a very compelling arguement. If Salyer can't handle the RG position... go find someone who can... whether that is in the draft or via FA... do it. They did that @center... why not RG and RT...?
      The big question to me is: how much will good coaching help him?

Comment

• HK55
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2018
        • Send PM

This has been one of the most fun/interesting off-seasons in a long time. Especially the draft speculation. Appreciate everyone’s effort and work done on their mocks.

But as we head towards Thursday, I’ve come to the realization that this draft is not going to be sexy at all. The first glimpse was the FA additions. Which I love all of, but again no sizzle. Which is totally fine. Fans want the shiny objects. But as this thread is titled, this draft will be a roster build. I am totally fine with that, I trust the staff put in place.

Been a Bolt fan since the late 60s ( old man yelling at clouds ) I am psyched for this season, for the first time in a long time. Plus prior to his hire, I was never a Harbaugh fan. And never heard of Hortiz. I am onboard!

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

If someone on the O line is worse, why so much shit on Pipkins? What about posting shit on the guys that were worse? That's my complaint.
          Not that Pipkins is all that, but we have bigger problems running and blocking with the OGs and center is a wait and see. A good argument can
          be made that we need to first fix the OGs in order to have a dominant run game. But no word on if we're drafting an OG in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th
          round. Nope it's ROT or nothing on the O line. If fact we may even take an OT @5 with Harrison, Nabers and Odunze there. Ridiculous if you
          ask me.
          This isn't hard to figure out.

Nobody has said we don't need improvement at center or guard. As I said before, if there were a Quenton Nelson or Zack Martin in this draft we would be talking about taking a guard in the first round. There isn't that type of talent at guard in this draft. There are multiple offensive tackles projected to go in the first round in this draft. One of them is expected to go in the top ten. We have a weakness at right tackle in Pipkins. You obviously don't think it's the biggest weakness on the offensive line, but it's still an area that needs considerable improvement.

Throw in that Zion Johnson is a first-round pick from two years ago, and Jamaree Salyer is also a young player who could have potential, and some here want to see what Harbaugh and his coaching staff could get out of them. Pipkins is going into his sixth season. It's not very likely there is as much upside with him as there is with Zion or even Salyer.

With that said, there has been plenty of discussion on this forum for us to take a guard in the third or fourth round. Not so much in the second, because that is where we expect to go center, wide receiver, or defense, depending on what happens in the first.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Final Roster Build
            (This clarifies my personal draft plan and vision for LAC fwiw)

QB Herbert, Stick **
            RB Dobbins, Edwards, Spiller **
            TE-Y/FB Dissly, Mason, Jack Westover 253.
            TE-Flex Hurst, Parham **
            WR Palmer, Polk, Bub Means 181.
            WRS QJ, DD **
            OT Slater, Taliese Fuaga 5. Pipkins **
            OG Zion, Cooper Beebe 37. Salyer
            C Bozeman, McFadden **

EDGE Mack, Bosa, Tuli, Rumph II
            DE Fox, Matlock
            DT Poona, Hinton **
            NT Tito, Evan Anderson 140. **
            LB Perryman, Niemann, Henley, Dye **
            CB Fulton, ASJ, Josh Newton 110. Leonard, Ja'Sir
            S Alohi, Derwin, Tykee Smith 105. Finley **

K Dicker
            P Scott
            LS Harris

23 Offense/ 23 Defense/ 3 ST
            That leaves four spots + PS.
            We only dress so many players each game.

EXTRAS ?? **
            QB: Austin Reed (UDFA), Zach Wilson (UFA soon)
            RB-COP: Dotson, Jaden Shirden (UDFA), Matt Breida (UFA)
            TE-Flex: Smartt
            WRS: Tulu Griffin 225.
            OT: Sarell
            C: Jaimes
            DT: Okoye
            NT: Clark
            LB/ST: Darius Muasau (UDFA), Jacob Phillips (UFA)
            S: Woods
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

After looking at your roster, I’m convinced we need to draft EDGE.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

ask me.
                The big difference between Salyer and Pipkins is development.

Pipkins has had 5 years to develop... and largely hasn't. It's about the traits @OT. The slow feet are a huge problem. The fact that he isn't very physical is another problem. Finesse worked for TT (or not). Harbaugh/Roman are going to ask their OT's to be much stronger and have very good movement skills. They will have to hit their landmarks in the run game and many times pass block all by themselves. Many people believe that TE Dissley will help Pipkins out a good percentage of the time. But largely @Baltimore (and @Seattle) the TE's go 1 v 1 vs DE's and LB's. Roman talks about Dissley being a great B-Gap blocker. He will be doing his own work... his job shouldn't be holding Pipki's hand in the blocking game.

@OG, you don't have to cover as much ground and space. You have help to both sides. Salyer has had only 1 year @RG... we're not talking about 5 years... we're talking one year at a position he's never played. In no way am I saying he should be @RG. In fact, I've suggested getting a true RG in the draft. There is nothing wrong with depth along the OL. IMO, good OG's can be had in the 3rd or 4th round this draft.

Most of this conversation has been about the 1st round prospects... certainly you don't suggest we take an OG in the first round...
                What are your ideas about fixing the OL... are you simply putting guys into a scheme they don't fit and then praying to the heavens that the coaching will magically fix them...? Or is your philosophy simply to complain about the OL in general... but do nothing to fix it...?

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don't know that coaching will help his slow feet to the outside or his inadequate footspeed to reach his landmarks in the running game at the second level.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

This is where I am and scheme. I'm not sure how anyone can evaluate this o-line after last year's shit show. When Linsley went down this o-line went to shit. They lost their main signal caller on the line, and no one really stepped up and fixed it. There was several assignments that were missed. I'll let the coaches figure it out because I have no clue at the moment. The only thing I do know is they need more depth.
                    1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                    3a- #66 Puni OT
                    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                    4a- #105 Rice WR
                    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                    5- #140 Green CB
                    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• northerner
                      Charger fan since '79
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by HK55 View Post
                      This has been one of the most fun/interesting off-seasons in a long time. Especially the draft speculation. Appreciate everyone’s effort and work done on their mocks.

But as we head towards Thursday, I’ve come to the realization that this draft is not going to be sexy at all. The first glimpse was the FA additions. Which I love all of, but again no sizzle. Which is totally fine. Fans want the shiny objects. But as this thread is titled, this draft will be a roster build. I am totally fine with that, I trust the staff put in place.

Been a Bolt fan since the late 60s ( old man yelling at clouds ) I am psyched for this season, for the first time in a long time. Plus prior to his hire, I was never a Harbaugh fan. And never heard of Hortiz. I am onboard!
                      don't count out the sizzle just yet, I think they've been "filling the too many holes" so far.

I don't think Harbaugh or Hortiz have forgotten we have Herbert. The sizzle is on order for this weekend.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Salyer had snaps at RG before but they are very limited. Like 2 games worth. He has limited snaps at RT as well.

Screenshot_20240421-124816.png
                        Attached Files

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          After looking at your roster, I’m convinced we need to draft EDGE.
                          Maybe Mack and/or Bosa come back and contribute some more.

A successful LAC season might lead to them agreeing to reasonable terms, albeit the age factor.

I like Braiden Mc Gregor as our token Wolverine. Good size, length. Physical. Tough as nails as an ex hockey player. Came up big in the post season.

I know this is not the speed I suspect you are after tho.

bluey wants his juice lol.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X