• Show
Clear All
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think everyone outside of Pip's family thinks we can do better. The question is - is he the biggest liability on the team right now? IMO, that answer is no. So do we spend our first few picks on upgrading him at the expense of other holes?
    BPA at 5 are WRs and OTs. Even if we trade down to 11 it is a similar story. No pt reaching for a DT CB etc.

Comment

• JPPT1974
      May Day 2024!
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Need to find some depth and in hoping for better and consistent players. Looking at that in the draft.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I think everyone outside of Pip's family thinks we can do better. The question is - is he the biggest liability on the team right now? IMO, that answer is no. So do we spend our first few picks on upgrading him at the expense of other holes?
        If you want to "run the ball better and protect the QB"... then, yeah, he's the biggest liability.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm just not buying this "too slow to reach his landmarks" bit.

Pip ran a 5.12 40 at the combine .... that's pretty good. I've seen Pip get down the field fast enough .... not that I paid that much attention to it.

Guess who ran a 5.13 40?
          Well, I've paid attention.
          Guess who doesn't care about 40-yard dash times...? Especially for OL. Remember Orlando Brown's 40...? LOL!

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Why would we spend more than one pick to replace Pipkins?

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Here's a guy who pays attention... Geoff Schwartz on Taliese Fuaga.
              It ain't sexy... it's necessary, though.

Taliese Fuaga is an ass kicker and a top prospect from the OL position. His film at Oregon State is full of him moving defenders against their will.He's got ...

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, that's my feeling too. I'd just like to see what an offense looks like with a more capable RT... it's been a long time.
                My feeling is that Herbert hasn't been able to do all the things he's capable of... a lot of that falls on the protection (or lack thereof).
                So much this.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Yeah, that's my feeling too. I'd just like to see what an offense looks like with a more capable RT... it's been a long time.
                  My feeling is that Herbert hasn't been able to do all the things he's capable of... a lot of that falls on the protection (or lack thereof).
                  WAY too long. It drove me nuts seeing the right tackles in front of Rivers, and it's happened to Herbert in his first four years. It needs to stop.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Oh he's developed. Just not to some people's standards.

I saw Gerald Everett helping out Pipkins to block Maxx Crosby in the first Raider game last year. And other games he had help from from a TE to block an edge rusher. Pipkins has trouble with the elite edge rushers. But then, a lot of OTs do. Pipkins does a better job against mid tier edge players or below that.
                    The guy that gets the most doubled teamed in the NFL is Nick Bosa. The second highest guy that gets doubled teamed is Maxx Crosby. Let's not pretend our
                    TE is holding Pipkins hand as been posted. Pipkins along with other RTs is going to have trouble with elite pass rushers. That's just a fact of life. They wouldn't
                    be elite pass rushers otherwise. So yes on occasion Pipkins had help. But it's not we dedicated a TE or RB to help Pipkins. Plus Everett is a good pass catching
                    TE but not so great at blocking. In fact we had probably the worst blocking TEs in the NFL.

At any rate the bigger problem with Pipkins is his run blocking. So you want a run blocking OT, that's great go for it, just not with the #5 pick.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Why would we spend more than one pick to replace Pipkins?
                      That should have been, spend one of our first few picks replacing him.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

If you want to "run the ball better and protect the QB"... then, yeah, he's the biggest liability.
                        They also want to play smothering, smash mouth D and we have big holes at DT, LB and corner. I want to upgrade, but IMO we need help in these areas as bad, or worse, than RT.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2024
                          • Send PM

I'm curious how many of the draft Alt or Latham or Fuaga folks were in the draft Trevor Penning camp in 2022?

I'm assuming most won't own up to it about how wrong they were as he is flat out horrible. I could imagine it's the same crowd that doesn't like Pipkins now was calling for Penning then?

Comment

Working...
                          X