• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

I love the "You can get a right tackle after the first round...it happens every year" argument.

1. Amon-Ra St. Brown: fourth round.
    2. Puka Nacua: fifth round.
    3. Tyreek Hill: fifth round.
    4. A.J. Brown: second round.
    5. Davante Adams: second round.
    6. Stefon Diggs: fifth round.
    7. Cooper Kupp: third round.
    8. Deebo Samuel: second round.
    9. D.K. Metcalf: second round.
    10. Keenan Allen: third round.
    11. Chris Godwin: third round.
    12. Michael Thomas: second round.
    13. Antonio Brown: sixth round.
    14. Adam Thielen: undrafted.
    15. Brandon Marshall: fourth round.
    16. Jordy Nelson: second round.

With the exception of Keenan Allen, a six-time Pro Bowler, everyone on that list has been an All-Pro at some point in the last ten seasons. If Harbaugh and Hortiz don't pick a wide receiver in the first round, they can still find a good or even great one later--especially in this draft.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
      I love the "You can get a right tackle after the first round...it happens every year" argument.

With the exception of Keenan Allen, a six-time Pro Bowler, everyone on that list has been an All-Pro at some point in the last ten seasons. If Harbaugh and Hortiz don't pick a wide receiver in the first round, they can still find a good or even great one later--especially in this draft.
      Wide receivers are becoming a dime a dozen, everyone throws the ball a ton now, so those blue chip guys at the top of the draft are not going to be picked until the second and third rounds in the coming seasons...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Stetson516
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2024
        • Send PM

All these people think Brock Bowers is the pick are way off. The financial aspect of a first round pick on a TE with 5th year option won't work out. You'd have to pay this guy like a top 1 or 2 in the position. Has to be MHJR, if he's there and no trade takers... or OT..... WR, OT, CB and EDGE all demand top dollar after rookie contract... plenty of skill players in later rounds. Imagine a line of Slater, Zion, Frazier/johnson, Beebe/Mohogany, and Lathem/Alt? Run maulers and Herbs can throw to me for Christ's sake behind that line...

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The stats show WRs taken in R1 out preform those taken in R2 in their rookie season. By year 3 there is very little difference between
          RD1 and RD2 WR performance. But R1 WRs still come out on top. Those taken in RD3 or later are far behind. So you're actually
          nit picking. You should list all the RD1 and RD2 WRs as well.

Also of note. How many times have you heard that the top 2 WRs are also the best talent available if you discount QBs? It doesn't
          happen very often. This year it's true. MH2 and Nabers are considered the best talent available discounting QBs.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stetson516 View Post
            All these people think Brock Bowers is the pick are way off. The financial aspect of a first round pick on a TE with 5th year option won't work out. You'd have to pay this guy like a top 1 or 2 in the position. Has to be MHJR, if he's there and no trade takers... or OT..... WR, OT, CB and EDGE all demand top dollar after rookie contract... plenty of skill players in later rounds. Imagine a line of Slater, Zion, Frazier/johnson, Beebe/Mohogany, and Lathem/Alt? Run maulers and Herbs can throw to me for Christ's sake behind that line...
            Bowers is special, I got no issue with him making top money on his rookie deal because he's going to earn it...the guy is a unique one o f kind offensive weapon that offers more in the passing game than any receiver in this draft...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

The stats show WRs taken in R1 out preform those taken in R2 in their rookie season. By year 3 there is very little difference between
              RD1 and RD2 WR performance. But R1 WRs still come out on top. Those taken in RD3 or later are far behind. So you're actually
              nit picking. You should list all the RD1 and RD2 WRs as well.

Also of note. How many times have you heard that the top 2 WRs are also the best talent available if you discount QBs? It doesn't
              happen very often. This year it's true. MH2 and Nabers are considered the best talent available discounting QBs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

He likely won't be the pick at 5 but the bolded has been shown you are off .....by a lot.
                He would be in the middle of the pack for the TEs.
                And then you worry about the second contract later and it won't be near as high as a WR.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He likely won't be the pick at 5 but the bolded has been shown you are off .....by a lot.
                  He would be in the middle of the pack for the TEs.
                  And then you worry about the second contract later and it won't be near as high as a WR.
                  That argument about the contract value is so off, it doesn't even take into consideration second contracts, it's literally ALL about the rookie deal, super short sighted nonsense...bottom line is that Bowers will be much cheaper over the life of his NFL career than any top flight WR and it won't even be close...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I really don't disagree.
                    If MH2 and Odunze weren't in this draft, and Nabers was the clear, consensus WR1, I would be happy rolling the dice.
                    but the fact is that all 3 look like different versions of superman, but only 1 thinks it's a good idea to jeopardize his future by carrying a concealed weapon to mardi gras
                    this isn't some poor kid from my hood trying to get to school safely through a rival neighborhood. This is objectively bad judgment. Which again, isn't the end all be all, but there are only a handful of ways to bust, and this is one.

Why take that risk when younhavyou have presumably 2 other options with approximately similar upside?
                    I won't bash anyone who thinks Nabers is worth the risk but they better be significantly lower on the other 2 imho.
                    I won't disagree with you ... it was bad judgement.

The important question is whether it was a one time thing were he thought he needed protection,
                    or if the kid is in the habit of doing stupid things.

I simply do not know because I have spent zero time looking into his history.
                    If the Chargers find other things, then yeah .... move off of him if you had an interest.

With any draft pick, you are rolling the dice.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

As for the high percentage of misses on wide receivers taken in the 1rst round or later:

to me, its all the more reason to draft someone you really like at #5 instead of #23,
                      which would probably be the sweet spot for misses on receivers.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

W.R.T. the financial aspect of taking a TE, you're way off. WRs, CBs and OTs cost way more if they are very good.

Every team would like a special O line. It doesn't happen very often because it takes 5 guys not just one ROT.
                        You have to start somewhere, that why you take a few or a ton every year. Injuries take their toll. Average life of
                        an NFL player is about 5 years and sometimes less. The special or lucky ones last longer.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I won't disagree with you ... it was bad judgement.

The important question is whether it was a one time thing were he thought he needed protection,
                          or if the kid is in the habit of doing stupid things.

I simply do not know because I have spent zero time looking into his history.
                          If the Chargers find other things, then yeah .... move off of him if you had an interest.

With any draft pick, you are rolling the dice.
                          yes and NO, while all these guys are projections they don't all carry the same amount of risk...

Comment

Working...
                          X