• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I tend to agree with wood. Improving the roster means less late Day3 and UDFA guys make the roster as time goes on. we know for sure we have more receivers than roster spots available and MVS came in over the weekend. All the various scenarios have been described and debated so far. Everything from DD cut to JP trade to QJ eaten alive by a baby shark in the parking lot, or was it trainer tub? Whatever, it was a grisly demise. It will be an interesting camp for that position group, for sure. Fehoko, Guyton, and fuck if I remember the PS scrubs behind them - those guys are all but gone imo.

I’m projecting one of Rice / CJ gets a … cough … injury in camp and goes on IR. We always expect more guys will be poached off PS than ever really are. Its not a zero risk but as woods notes the league is awash in WRs now. our guys lasted to near the end of Rd 7 not just for us but for all 31 other teams that had the same chance to draft them and passed. They’ve all selected other receivers, already had other receivers, signed other UDFA receivers, etc - there’s an ocean of other receivers swimming around to muddy the water. Who knows if anyone will get poached at all?

As JH2 continue to improve depth, the PS poach risk is only going to grow. This will require acceptance by team observers as it must be so. There is no escape from the math.
    Could be -- very true. I understand that if players are picked off the PS -- they have to be signed to the 53 man of the new team so that means they are active players. But it would be nice if you could also keep players on the PS that aren't ready for the regular roster but you don't want to quit on

Guyton to the Raiders - naturally - was waiting for this one to happen.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Three 6th comp picks next year.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

MVS in camp as a body.
        Ask him a lot of questions about the KC offense.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Could be -- very true. I understand that if players are picked off the PS -- they have to be signed to the 53 man of the new team so that means they are active players. But it would be nice if you could also keep players on the PS that aren't ready for the regular roster but you don't want to quit on

Guyton to the Raiders - naturally - was waiting for this one to happen.
          They changed the rule so teams can “protect” a limited number of PS players

Teams can designate four players every week that are protected from being signed by other teams. This protection starts on Tuesday each week, so every practice squad player is still available to be signed to the regular roster of another team after their team's game that week until the deadline on Tuesday.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            Thats what many of you said about Dotson.
            I think one of those guys probably makes the squad and id guess its Rice, but we'll see..... and dont we get to protect 4 of our PS guys?
            I never said that about Dotson. Dotson came from a small school and was undrafted. He never had a 4th or 5th round grade by PFF, which Rice and Johnson, both from big time college programs, had. Johnson is 6-3 with 4.4 speed. I think both he and Rice are going to have good NFL careers. I keep envisioning our WR corps spear-headed by 4-5 young WRs, none of them elite, but capable players, like the Packers WR room.

I don't know if they get to protect PS guys. Doesn't seem fair to players on the PS that a team can block them from being signed to an NFL roster and the contract that comes with it.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I never said that about Dotson. Dotson came from a small school and was undrafted. He never had a 4th or 5th round grade by PFF, which Rice and Johnson, both from big time college programs, had. Johnson is 6-3 with 4.4 speed. I think both he and Rice are going to have good NFL careers. I keep envisioning our WR corps spear-headed by 4-5 young WRs, none of them elite, but capable players, like the Packers WR room.

I don't know if they get to protect PS guys. Doesn't seem fair to players on the PS that a team can block them from being signed to an NFL roster and the contract that comes with it.
              Topcat is still projecting great things from Dotson, I believe?
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I wouldn't say its a given Cornelius gets poached unless he has a stellar pre season. Teams with better and deeper WR rooms than the Chargers have similar guys on their practice squads
                Johnson is 6-3 with 4.4 speed and played for the college national champion under a stellar coaching staff and had a 5th round grade by PFF. You don't find guys like that on practice squads.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

PFF is the only place i saw CJ as a 5th. He as usually a 6th or 7th everywhere else.

PFF missed on many of their rankings as well....as others did so imo it doesnt matter where they had him. PFF had Worthy a early 3rd and he went bottom first, Malik Washington a 3rd, he went 7th, Jonny Wilson a 3rd he went 7th, Whttingham a 6th he went 4th. Means a 7th, he went late 5th.

The Huddle report was much more accurate then PFF was to name one, though they had Franklin at 48 and he went top of round 4 around 102. They had Rice 114 and didnt have Cornelius in their top 200....and you dont need to pay them $24.99 a month lol.

Wouldnt be a surprise to see CJ go to the PS but i hope he and Rice show well.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Johnson is 6-3 with 4.4 speed and played for the college national champion under a stellar coaching staff and had a 5th round grade by PFF. You don't find guys like that on practice squads.

That 5th round grade from PFF was an outlier. I didnt see him in too many 5th rounds. I always saw him as a 6th or 7th possibility and was calling for Chargers to draft him in the 7th when the draft was on live. He gets extra attention because Harbaugh was his coach. He did play on the national champion, in a very run heavy offense that rarely passed and he wasn't even the top receiver on that team. His route running needs a lot of work.

As I said i projected the pick, loved the pick, but this is a developmental pick that needs some time to develop. The fact that the Chargers keep looking at and signing veteran receivers tells you the same thing. I do think that other teams have players with good measurables that are very raw on their practice squads.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      PFF is the only place i saw CJ as a 5th. He as usually a 6th or 7th everywhere else.

PFF missed on many of their rankings as well....as others did so imo it doesnt matter where they had him. PFF had Worthy a early 3rd and he went bottom first, Malik Washington a 3rd, he went 7th, Jonny Wilson a 3rd he went 7th, Whttingham a 6th he went 4th. Means a 7th, he went late 5th.

The Huddle report was much more accurate then PFF was to name one, though they had Franklin at 48 and he went top of round 4 around 102. They had Rice 114 and didnt have Cornelius in their top 200....and you dont need to pay them $24.99 a month lol.

Wouldnt be a surprise to see CJ go to the PS but i hope he and Rice show well.

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                      That 5th round grade from PFF was an outlier. I didnt see him in too many 5th rounds. I always saw him as a 6th or 7th possibility and was calling for Chargers to draft him in the 7th when the draft was on live. He gets extra attention because Harbaugh was his coach. He did play on the national champion, in a very run heavy offense that rarely passed and he wasn't even the top receiver on that team. His route running needs a lot of work.

As I said i projected the pick, loved the pick, but this is a developmental pick that needs some time to develop. The fact that the Chargers keep looking at and signing veteran receivers tells you the same thing. I do think that other teams have players with good measurables that are very raw on their practice squads.
                      I don't pay anything to use PFF's big board. Nobody is going to get every ranking right. How many did rankings did Huddle miss? Huddle is kind of rinky-dink, not very thorough. I use PFF's big board and Draft Buzz, both of which are very thorough. Both ranked Cornelius in the 5th round. PFF at #147 and Draft Buzz at #161. Cornelius is 6-3, 212 lbs, 4.4 speed and played on a National Championship team. In his final 3 seasons at Mich he totaled 1725 yds receiving and 10 TD catches.

He is going to be a good NFL talent. Take Dontavyon Wicks for example. He had a PFF 6th round grade in the 2023 draft. The Packers drafted him with the 2nd to last pick in the 5th round. He had 39 catches for 581 yds and 4 TDs in 2023. This is what I envision from a WR like Cornelius. And Rice. The Packers loaded their roster with guys like this - competent WRs but none of them elite or great. And first year starter Jordan Love came with an eyelash of beating the 49ers to get into the NFC title game with a corps of WRs like this. Unless he bombs in the preseason, Johnson will not make it through waivers if they waive him after the preseason cutdowns.

NFL draft buzz does a consensus ranking of all the scouting services in their database, and Cornelius's consensus rank was a 5th round grade, #172. Rice's consensus rank was a 3rd grade, #92. Both Rice and Cornelius were steals in the 7th round. They are both young with high ceilings. I hope they stick as a part of a youthful corps of WRs for Herbert to exploit for years to come.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

I don't pay anything to use PFF's big board. Nobody is going to get every ranking right. How many did rankings did Huddle miss? Huddle is kind of rinky-dink, not very thorough. I use PFF's big board and Draft Buzz, both of which are very thorough. Both ranked Cornelius in the 5th round. PFF at #147 and Draft Buzz at #161. Cornelius is 6-3, 212 lbs, 4.4 speed and played on a National Championship team. In his final 3 seasons at Mich he totaled 1725 yds receiving and 10 TD catches.

He is going to be a good NFL talent. Take Dontavyon Wicks for example. He had a PFF 6th round grade in the 2023 draft. The Packers drafted him with the 2nd to last pick in the 5th round. He had 39 catches for 581 yds and 4 TDs in 2023. This is what I envision from a WR like Cornelius. And Rice. The Packers loaded their roster with guys like this - competent WRs but none of them elite or great. And first year starter Jordan Love came with an eyelash of beating the 49ers to get into the NFC title game with a corps of WRs like this. Unless he bombs in the preseason, Johnson will not make it through waivers if they waive him after the preseason cutdowns.

NFL draft buzz does a consensus ranking of all the scouting services in their database, and Cornelius's consensus rank was a 5th round grade, #172. Rice's consensus rank was a 3rd grade, #92. Both Rice and Cornelius were steals in the 7th round. They are both young with high ceilings. I hope they stick as a part of a youthful corps of WRs for Herbert to exploit for years to come.
                        GB used 2nd round TEs. 2nd round slot receiver, 4th and 5th round WRs. CJ was 4 picks away from UDFA. That is a long way from the 5th round.

So your prediction is that two 7th rounders will both have 500 yards for the Chargers next year like Wycks?

Right now I think the depth chart would look something like this....Palmer, QJ, McConkey, Chark....with MVS likely on the way....I think one of Rice or CJ will battle to sneak onto the roster

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Go Chargers go View Post
                          At the ed of the day this whole roster is on turnover…. It’s how a good coach gets his 4-8 years of tenure.

Harbaugh has the next 2yrs as a pass and will meet to put together a PO team buy year 3. Luckily we only have chiefs to hold us back in this division
                          I'm only giving him 2 years . . . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X