• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Next year is Next year. When Kelce and Reid retire they will be more than vulnerable and they will be our cannon fodder! I see at least a 20% drop off in competitiveness.
    I was hoping this would happen when Hill left but their D stepped up.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Next year is Next year. When Kelce and Reid retire they will be more than vulnerable and they will be our cannon fodder! I see at least a 20% drop off in competitiveness.
      Shoot with Reid and Mahomes there - they aren't going anywhere. Young team - good cap situation

And that is the wrong attitude - Chargers need to up there level to be better than the Chiefs. Not have the Chiefs come back to the pack.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Shoot with Reid and Mahomes there - they aren't going anywhere. Young team - good cap situation

And that is the wrong attitude - Chargers need to up there level to be better than the Chiefs. Not have the Chiefs come back to the pack.
        Your missing the point. Harbaugh is our new coach plus Reid and Kelce leaving will definitely weaken them. Just a matter of when this happens. So next season or for sure the season after. Were getting stronger plus they're getting weaker at the same time. As a lion you only inherit the pride when you can kill off the competition. LOL!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Your missing the point. Harbaugh is our new coach plus Reid and Kelce leaving will definitely weaken them. Just a matter of when this happens. So next season or for sure the season after. Were getting stronger plus they're getting weaker at the same time. As a lion you only inherit the pride when you can kill off the competition. LOL!

JH3: Harbaugh, Hortiz and Herbert

Chargers have those three in place - its just figuring out everything else.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

JH3: Harbaugh, Hortiz and Herbert

Chargers have those three in place - its just figuring out everything else.
            JH cubed, in thee I trust.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Well you want to kick another 7-8m for Bosa to 2025 which would make his cap hit next year $40m

After last night, seeing the Chiefs win again, being 'competitive" in 2024 should not be the goal. Being VERY GOOD from 2025-2029 should be the goal. I am going to talk to Mack - see what he wants and if he wants to be traded - thats fine. Bosa and Williams gone; Kendricks, Parham and if Fox doesn't fit - gone

Trade back in the draft - get a bunch of picks
              $40m if he balls out. If he doesn't, then I cut him after next year... and eat the same $14m you want to eat right now.
              You have to see that the 2024 cap has to be fixed, right...? The 2025 cap has a lot more room on it.

After cutting MW, Linsley, Kendricks...
              After restructuring Joey and Derwin...
              After extending Keenan and trading Mack...
              I've gotten $39m under the 2024 cap... and still have $92m of 2025's cap.

Sure, I only have 45 on the roster. But since I have a pick for Mack, I now have 9 draft picks. ERFA Dicker makes 53.
              Trade back from the #5 spot and collect another 2 (or 3) picks... and now I'm replacing Futures picks... that end up on my practice squad.
              And the only thing I've spent money on is Dicker ($850,000). I'm still @$38+m cap space.

I can even spend a little on a free agent RB or TE...
              Shit, a roster like that could compete with KC (if they draft smartly).
              You don't have to roll over and give up on 2024. I know Hortiz and Harbaugh won't.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I was hoping this would happen when Hill left but their D stepped up.
                KC's defense is very good. They've concentrated resources there (through the draft).
                I predicted a 20-17 victory for the Chiefs over on the SB Thread. 19-19 by the end of regulation was pretty close.
                IMO, the defensive personnel on our team is lagging far behind the Chiefs.
                By all means, protect Herbert (draft a center)... but make sure you start dedicating some resources to the defense.
                I know Harbaugh and Hortiz have the same philosophy... run the ball, protect your QB, and play tough defense.
                Finally, it seems as if we have guys that know what they're doing...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

$40m if he balls out. If he doesn't, then I cut him after next year... and eat the same $14m you want to eat right now.
                  You have to see that the 2024 cap has to be fixed, right...? The 2025 cap has a lot more room on it.

After cutting MW, Linsley, Kendricks...
                  After restructuring Joey and Derwin...
                  After extending Keenan and trading Mack...
                  I've gotten $39m under the 2024 cap... and still have $92m of 2025's cap.

Sure, I only have 45 on the roster. But since I have a pick for Mack, I now have 9 draft picks. ERFA Dicker makes 53.
                  Trade back from the #5 spot and collect another 2 (or 3) picks... and now I'm replacing Futures picks... that end up on my practice squad.
                  And the only thing I've spent money on is Dicker ($850,000). I'm still @$38+m cap space.

I can even spend a little on a free agent RB or TE...
                  Shit, a roster like that could compete with KC (if they draft smartly).
                  You don't have to roll over and give up on 2024. I know Hortiz and Harbaugh won't.
                  Bosa currently has dead cap number of $22.2, so 14.6m this year and 7.6m next year. If you push money out, that increases his dead cap hit to $15.2 next year
                  Key words - IF he balls out. He has to play.. You are paying a guy 22m that has played 14 games out of 34

Mack would be a much better risk for the same $22, well $23m -as he is likely to play more games

If you are keeping one of the two - Mack is the safer play in terms of probability of playing more games and producing at a higher level

As for competing with the Chiefs: Chargers still need OC, RB, TE, LB, IDL (at least one more), probably anotehr CB, S

They are not competing with the Chiefs - they would be competing to be the 6th or 7th seed,.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Bosa currently has dead cap number of $22.2, so 14.6m this year and 7.6m next year. If you push money out, that increases his dead cap hit to $15.2 next year
                    Key words - IF he balls out. He has to play.. You are paying a guy 22m that has played 14 games out of 34

Mack would be a much better risk for the same $22, well $23m -as he is likely to play more games

If you are keeping one of the two - Mack is the safer play in terms of probability of playing more games and producing at a higher level

As for competing with the Chiefs: Chargers still need OC, RB, TE, LB, IDL (at least one more), probably anotehr CB, S

They are not competing with the Chiefs - they would be competing to be the 6th or 7th seed,.
                    Yeah, and I'm not basing my projections based on a player's might-get-injured theory. I'm looking at a player's overall production over his whole career. Nobody argue's that Bosa isn't productive when playing. His pressure rate is elite... and that is how I project him. The decision isn't based on emotion. Helmet throwing and Raisin Bran eating doesn't go into my evaluation. Just because he was hurt last year, it doesn't mean he will be hurt again next year. It's football. Injuries happen. I'm excited to see how Harbaugh/Minter use Joey.

If I can save $33.65m by trading Mack and restructuring Bosa... well, damn... that's an easy decision. Especially if I don't have to dismantle my defensive line... which I know my new coach will want/need to have.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Yeah, and I'm not basing my projections based on a player's might-get-injured theory. I'm looking at a player's overall production over his whole career. Nobody argue's that Bosa isn't productive when playing. His pressure rate is elite... and that is how I project him. The decision isn't based on emotion. Helmet throwing and Raisin Bran eating doesn't go into my evaluation. Just because he was hurt last year, it doesn't mean he will be hurt again next year. It's football. Injuries happen. I'm excited to see how Harbaugh/Minter use Joey.

If I can save $33.65m by trading Mack and restructuring Bosa... well, damn... that's an easy decision. Especially if I don't have to dismantle my defensive line... which I know my new coach will want/need to have.
                      You are not saving one dime on Joey Bosa. Not one dime. The only way the team saves money on Bosa is a pay cut. And right now, the most I would give him is like $10-12m with incentives for playing games and producing. And even still, the risk of injury after two years will only be higher.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

You are not saving one dime on Joey Bosa. Not one dime. The only way the team saves money on Bosa is a pay cut. And right now, the most I would give him is like $10-12m with incentives for playing games and producing. And even still, the risk of injury after two years will only be higher.
                        Yes, I'm saving lots of dimes... on the 2024 cap! $10.4m worth of dimes!!
                        Did he re-injure his groin...? Did the screws in his foot come out...? We're talking about an ankle sprain... an ankle sprain! If they were in the playoffs... dude would have played.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Yes, I'm saving lots of dimes... on the 2024 cap! $10.4m worth of dimes!!
                          Did he re-injure his groin...? Did the screws in his foot come out...? We're talking about an ankle sprain... an ankle sprain! If they were in the playoffs... dude would have played.
                          Well you are saving it on the 2024 cap but its being rolled to the 2025 cap. My plan

June 1 Bosa and Linsley - just gives you a bit of wiggle room that you might need
                          Trade Mack -- use his money on IDL in free agency.
                          Release MW and EK
                          Extend Allen something like 2 more years 36-40m

With these moves, paying a draft class, roster at 53, plus practice Squad, in season slush fund, probably have close to $30m to spend on free agency

IDL: 10m more to the cap
                          Center: +5m
                          Vet RB: +3m
                          LB: +4-5m
                          Vet QB: +2m cap hit

Hit the draft hard and find some veterans on one year deals

Comment

Working...
                          X