• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Maybe we're stronger than you think after the draft. Unless half our receivers have hands of stone we need discovery first. If QJ is 20% better and Ladd shows up it wont be as dire as some predict. Plus we have to add in the Harbo effect vs. the Kellen Moore effect. LOL!
    I am not saying I dont like our young WRs or have no hope in them. I am saying they are unproven. We have good management that knows this and that is why they keep looking at veteran receivers to supplement the group, even though the posting board keeps saying how crowded the room is. I love our 2 7th round picks but they both have a lot of work to do at the NFL level. I am not assuming anything with QJ after I saw how bad his hands and routes were last year. It would be hard not to see some improvement but how much is the question. I have confidence foremost in Ladd McConkey.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      I really think we're set at WR.
      Palmer, Laddy, Q, Rice, CJ and DD (mostly ST).

Rarely in 11 or 10 personnel.
      We're set at least until August. Let's see who can play at this level. And as Hortiz says, continual improvement.

Because that's a lot of youth and inexperience in that group.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Right - some of those lean years with the Padres, pick your pitcher was their "Number 1 starter." Well when you are a 65 win team and your number 1 is like 12-11 with an ERA over 4 - are you really a "NUMBER ONE STARTER"?

Josh is the best WR on the Chargers but leaguewide - is closer to WR2/3
        Exactly. I like Josh, He is my Canadian boy!! I am just being realistic and saying ideally, on a good NFL WR group he is your #3.

For example if QJ and McConkey live up to their draft positions, Palmer is a #3
        Last edited by CanadianBoltFan; 05-02-2024, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Funny how so many here were dead set against a WR in the first, now we miss out on Boyd and we’re doomed? Really? The bolded part.
          I think Rice is only half a rook. With his pops insight into the NFL this will save us a half season with him. All we need is one of the 7th rounders to show up before the end of the season. Consider me an optimist in this area. The defensive side of the Ball already looks a lot stronger so I'm not worried there. From my perspective I think this team will shock Charger fans by having some depth and play 20% better than we did last year. My attitude is if we win enough to make it to the show by season end then there are no rookies left.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think Rice is only half a rook. With his pops insight into the NFL this will save us a half season with him. All we need is one of the 7th rounders to show up before the end of the season. Consider me an optimist in this area. The defensive side of the Ball already looks a lot stronger so I'm not worried there. From my perspective I think this team will shock Charger fans by having some depth and play 20% better than we did last year. My attitude is if we win enough to make it to the show by season end then there are no rookies left.
            I agree. I feel great about the direction of the team and feel we will be better. But I am actually taking my cue from John Hortiz who says they never stop trying to improve this team and every position group and will continue to do that until September and beyond. There is still room to improve or at least supplement that WR group for a long NFL season, and the ingredient that comes easily to mind would be some more experience.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

We're set at least until August. Let's see who can play at this level. And as Hortiz says, continual improvement.

Hmmm, let’s see:

Palmer is a good NFL WR. Not Slayer-great, but few are.

QJ needs a lot of work - and seems he’s been at it. We’ll see soon enough.

Ladd will break ankles right out of the box. I don’t ever remember watching tape of any WR, college or pros, put so many moves on a DB, the poor dude fell flat on his ass. Utterly sick.

Rice needs pro route training but he’s damn close and one tough dude.

CJ is ridiculously fast for his size, and wins jump balls just like first rounders and UDFAs we’ve had. That’s not gonna change IMO, let the Herbert bombs fly!

And DD should be in the mix cuz also damn fast, also damn sudden.

So I’d say Yes to young obviously, but there’s some crazy experience up there already, even more than on some other teams with a roomful of “established” vets.

Let’s see how the coaches get them working this summer/fall, I have a lot more confidence in the WR group this year, in a Harbaugh O, than I had in last year’s (and I was grooving on last year’s…until I saw how they were getting used, and then the injuries…ugh).

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Hmmm, let’s see:

Palmer is a good NFL WR. Not Slayer-great, but few are.

QJ needs a lot of work - and seems he’s been at it. We’ll see soon enough.

Ladd will break ankles right out of the box. I don’t ever remember watching tape of any WR, college or pros, put so many moves on a DB, the poor dude fell flat on his ass. Utterly sick.

Rice needs pro route training but he’s damn close and one tough dude.

CJ is ridiculously fast for his size, and wins jump balls just like first rounders and UDFAs we’ve had. That’s not gonna change IMO, let the Herbert bombs fly!

And DD should be in the mix cuz also damn fast, also damn sudden.
                Opposing teams should watch out for Justin Herbert next year.

The original Duke Nukem.I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.And I'm all out of bubble gumFrom the movie "They Live" (1988)

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                  We are talking 2 7th rounders. Maybe they work out or maybe they turn out to be "steals" like Joe Reed and KJ Hill who were going to kill it.
                  Two 7th rounders, one with a 4th round grade the other a 5th round grade.

The Packers' Romeo Doubs had a 4th round grade in 2022.
                  The Packers' Dontayvion Wicks had a 5th-6th round grade in 2023.

Both Rice and Johnson measure up to these guys, if not more.

I honestly don't know that happened to Reed. He just never adjusted to the NFL. Hard to say why. Hill didn't have the speed nor the quickness to make it in the NFL. He was rated a 7th rounder or UDFA.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

IA or 1B on one of the weakest WR rooms in the NFL. How many teams would he be WR2 on? Not many.

I get that Palmer is one of our best 2, I just think objectively he has not proven himself as a real legitimate #2 WR by good NFL standards. I like to keep it real even after post draft sugar plums dancing in many heads.

When Palmer had to play as our #1 he had trouble getting separation and defenses shut our passing game down pretty easily.
                    Did you / anyone ever study how DCs deployed their defensive backfield when JP had to be moved to WR1 and scrubs were called out of the parking lot to play WR2, WR3? Were teams slanting or rolling more coverage onto him because WR3 and WR4 were scrub PS players they didnt worry about?

Just a possible hypothesis, I don't believe we at TPB have ever taken the possibility on and knocked it down. I don't know there was any of this happening at all - hence the question. I do know the macro conclusion is correct - he was not getting open much once he became the only legit WR on the team.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Two 7th rounders, one with a 4th round grade the other a 5th round grade.

The Packers' Romeo Doubs had a 4th round grade in 2022.
                      The Packers' Dontayvion Wicks had a 5th-6th round grade in 2023.

Both Rice and Johnson measure up to these guys, if not more.

I honestly don't know that happened to Reed. He just never adjusted to the NFL. Hard to say why. Hill didn't have the speed nor the quickness to make it in the NFL. He was rated a 7th rounder or UDFA.
                      he sucked, is what happened there. If I had a nickel for every excited fanboy who predicted he was the next Deebo if only Coach XXXX would fully deploy his eipc greatness ... lol. good times.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

he sucked, is what happened there. If I had a nickel for every excited fanboy who predicted he was the next Deebo if only Coach XXXX would fully deploy his eipc greatness ... lol. good times.
                        I thought he had the talent, though he was a poor route runner. He was supposed to be a dynamic kick returner, but he failed at that also.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

2024 goals: We need 2 UDFAs to make the squad with the rookies so that we can claim we won the SB with 11 rookies

I'll be glad to see that one TPB member's siggy buried in a ditch in a landfill down by the river in New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                          X