• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I'm only giving him 2 years . . . . . . . .
    I'm only giving him this year to be a playoff team. Spend umpteen M $ on GM, coaches, staff and facilities for BA people, Give him an elite young vet QB, there's no patience involved.

Show us who you are Jimbo.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

I'm not really understanding the scheduled visit with Valdez-Scanding, after signing Chark.

What? They think the wide receiver room isn't crowded enough as it is?!?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Guyton to the Raiders - naturally - was waiting for this one to happen.
        Unsurprising, and ultimately 'ho hum'. Guyton isn't someone who inspires so much fear that you're nervous about him staying within the division.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

GB used 2nd round TEs. 2nd round slot receiver, 4th and 5th round WRs. CJ was 4 picks away from UDFA. That is a long way from the 5th round.

So your prediction is that two 7th rounders will both have 500 yards for the Chargers next year like Wycks?

Right now I think the depth chart would look something like this....Palmer, QJ, McConkey, Chark....with MVS likely on the way....I think one of Rice or CJ will battle to sneak onto the roster
          Doesn't matter where he was drafted, CJ still had a 5th round grade. Yes, I believe it's totally possible for both Rice and CJ to have production equal to or better than Wycks. When you compare both Chargers' 7th rounders against Wycks in size, speed and college production, both are superior to Wycks. That is why I keep playing them up.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
            I'm not really understanding the scheduled visit with Valdez-Scanding, after signing Chark.

What? They think the wide receiver room isn't crowded enough as it is?!?
            Competition. The difference of 11 or 12 bodies isn't a problem. We have 4 QBs + Harbaugh to throw the balls.
            We'll keep the 5 or 6 best that fit what the 2024 Harbaugh Chargers want to do.
            I believe they actually intend to throw the ball.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I don't pay anything to use PFF's big board. Nobody is going to get every ranking right. How many did rankings did Huddle miss? Huddle is kind of rinky-dink, not very thorough. I use PFF's big board and Draft Buzz, both of which are very thorough. Both ranked Cornelius in the 5th round. PFF at #147 and Draft Buzz at #161. Cornelius is 6-3, 212 lbs, 4.4 speed and played on a National Championship team. In his final 3 seasons at Mich he totaled 1725 yds receiving and 10 TD catches.

He is going to be a good NFL talent. Take Dontavyon Wicks for example. He had a PFF 6th round grade in the 2023 draft. The Packers drafted him with the 2nd to last pick in the 5th round. He had 39 catches for 581 yds and 4 TDs in 2023. This is what I envision from a WR like Cornelius. And Rice. The Packers loaded their roster with guys like this - competent WRs but none of them elite or great. And first year starter Jordan Love came with an eyelash of beating the 49ers to get into the NFC title game with a corps of WRs like this. Unless he bombs in the preseason, Johnson will not make it through waivers if they waive him after the preseason cutdowns.

NFL draft buzz does a consensus ranking of all the scouting services in their database, and Cornelius's consensus rank was a 5th round grade, #172. Rice's consensus rank was a 3rd grade, #92. Both Rice and Cornelius were steals in the 7th round. They are both young with high ceilings. I hope they stick as a part of a youthful corps of WRs for Herbert to exploit for years to come.
              Well, considering that..... we'll see.

The NFLs 32 GMs let them both slide to round 7 sonit doesn't really matter where a draft site had them. I doubt teams are using those draft sites.
              The Huddle Report has writeups on most the players from multiple different people that work for them, so you get more you just have to go click on them in another area.

I'm a fan of Rice,....picked him for us top of round 4. Don't know why he slid but he did. Every teams scouts let that happen 🤷.

CJ ran a 4.46 , not a 4.4 which is still real good for his size. I hope he and Rice both show well but not isn't a guarantee. Nothing is guaranteed in this league whether they wear a Chargers uniform or not. This is the NFL, not college. I hope they ball out but don't expect it.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                CJ ran a 4.46 , not a 4.4 which is still real good for his size.
                Both the sources I use for Combine stats say 4.4.

NFL Scouting Combine and Pro Day scores, percentiles and metrics for Cornelius Johnson, WR, Michigan.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Rice and Cornelius both have issues with route running and gaining separation. NFL CBs are a new ballgame. They can learn without having QJ pressure put on them.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Velo
                    And
                    Boltjolt

You're both equally wrong. Ha.
                    Both of those sources (including NFLdotCom)
                    list his 40 as 4.44.
                    Still plenty of speed for his size.
                    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Rice and Cornelius both have issues with route running and gaining separation. NFL CBs are a new ballgame. They can learn without having QJ pressure put on them.
                      Killjoy.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Killjoy.
                        I offer a football explanation for our apparent glut at WR.

If Joe says we want to improve our speed at WR, believe it.

The MVS countdown continues.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Javia
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2023
                          • Send PM

Most teams carry 6-WR on their 53-man roster, with 5 active on game day.

Locks:
                          1. Chark (he isn't being paid $5 million to play on the practice squad)
                          2. McConkey (2nd round picks are guaranteed a spot)
                          3. Davis (somebody has to return kicks and punts)

Major Favorites:
                          1. Palmer (longest tenured, most experience with team, proven ability to play)
                          2. QJ (former 1st round pick, most physically talented young receiver)

This leaves leaves one available spot on the 53-man, zero if they sign MVS. If they sign MVS, any other receiver will have to outplay either QJ or Palmer, along with ever other rookie receiver competing to make the team. Good luck! Our practice squad should be loaded.

Comment

Working...
                          X