• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

No more SOFT coaches.

Think about this. The Steelers have had 3 coaches since the 70's. 3! All 3 including Tomlin are tough, no-nonsense coaches whose teams usually play good defense and don't make a lot of stupid mistakes. They've been the most successful team in the Super Bowl era.

The Chargers most successful coaches in the modern era, Ross and Schottenheimer were tough, no-nonsense coaches who took their teams to the Super Bowl and AFC Championship games, a couple of rare BEAUTIFUL moments for Chargers fans to enjoy.

Can we please stop with the players coaches --Mr. Nice guy's. I'm positive they are great guys. Positive they are good coordinators. As the head leader of a team, they are too soft for a sport like football. My .02.

Pardon the drunken rant... another beer for me!
    sigpic
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Mars
    • Ball Holder
    • Send PM

I've thought the same for a while now. Spanos controls the culture, and it's far too relaxed. This franchise requires a disciplinarian coach if it is ever to succeed.

Especially when you have the greatest weather in the country. Makes you soft.

Comment

• vinabolt
      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
      • Feb 2015
      • Send PM

When people think of SD, they think of beautiful city and perfect weather. It's a city for vacation. Everything around SD is relax and soft, the culture, the environment, the atmosphere......

We can have nice coaches for basketball or soccer etc.. But this is football, the most violent team sport.

So, a disciplinarian, no-nonsense a head coach is a no-brainer. This is true in general, but especially true in SD.

The evidence are there, with the results of Boss Ross and Marty.

They haven't won any SB in SD, but there would be no playoff with a poor regular season. It's all start with the consistency in the regular season.
      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• FiftyFive
        Dean Spanos is a traitor!
        • Dec 2014
        • Send PM

The only way we'll stop getting soft coaches is if our soft owner sells the team.

Comment

• JDA21
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

totally agree with this..I'd love Bill Cowher but we all know the Spanii won't pay up for him and like a puppet coach that they can control.

Come to think of it, SDSU's Rocky Long is a tough no nonsense type and I don't think it is a coincidence that the Aztecs have taken things up a notch the past few years since he became the head coach.

Comment

• FiftyFive
            Dean Spanos is a traitor!
            • Dec 2014
            • Send PM

Rocky Long just pulled a downright Chargeresque loss against South Alabama this week, after all the love from the AP pollsters and the Heisman hype for Pumphrey. No thanks. I'm not opposed to hiring a college coach, but we need someone who doesn't choke.

I think Urban Meyer or Mark Dantonio would do great in the NFL. Hell, at this point, I would even take a risk on Tom Herman. What do we have to lose?

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by JDA21 View Post
              totally agree with this..I'd love Bill Cowher but we all know the Spanii won't pay up for him and like a puppet coach that they can control.

Come to think of it, SDSU's Rocky Long is a tough no nonsense type and I don't think it is a coincidence that the Aztecs have taken things up a notch the past few years since he became the head coach.
              Cowher's been away for what, 10 years now at least? Plus, he's a Marty disciple, he probably rightfully despises the Spanoses.

Rocky Long made it clear that when he took the SDSU job this would be his last stop. He's pushing 70 years old I believe.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Herman would be great, but I'm assuming he'll be at USC or LSU or even perhaps somewhere else after the season. -He's still pretty young.

Dantonio would be great, as he is a tough, hard nosed coach, and coaches an NFL scheme on offense.
                -But I don't think you'll see him leave college.

Honestly, I don't know where they turn. However, if and when they do... I hope they clean house... Every coach gone. A complete an entire whitewash of the coaching staff.
                -the players can't be around any more of the "losing/choking" mentality that currently surrounds the team.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• JDA21
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I was not saying I want Rocky Long to be the Chargers coach. Just simply thinking out loud that the Aztecs made a good hire and his personality type fits OP's take.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Rocky Long is 66.

Comment

• JDA21
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                      Herman would be great, but I'm assuming he'll be at USC or LSU or even perhaps somewhere else after the season. -He's still pretty young.

Dantonio would be great, as he is a tough, hard nosed coach, and coaches an NFL scheme on offense.
                      -But I don't think you'll see him leave college.

Honestly, I don't know where they turn. However, if and when they do... I hope they clean house... Every coach gone. A complete an entire whitewash of the coaching staff.
                      -the players can't be around any more of the "losing/choking" mentality that currently surrounds the team.
                      I love Dantonio. I think he would succeed at any level of coaching. Mich St has quite a duo with Izzo and Dantonio as their hoops and football coaches.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Tom Cable anyone?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X