• Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

The unspecial teams

So McCoy may have just bought himself some time, but I could see the Special Teams Coach becoming a sacrificial lamb. Why have our special teams been so bad for so long, even over the tenure of different coaches? In 6 games we've had a missed FG, another botched by the holder, a missed extra point, multiple punts shanked, got caught unprepared on the free kick after a safety, failed to recover an onside kick and what Benjamin did on that punt last night was a fine-able offense.

I'm beginning to wonder if the actually dedicate significant practice time to this.
    sigpic

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
    So McCoy may have just bought himself some time, but I could see the Special Teams Coach becoming a sacrificial lamb. Why have our special teams been so bad for so long, even over the tenure of different coaches? In 6 games we've had a missed FG, another botched by the holder, a missed extra point, multiple punts shanked, got caught unprepared on the free kick after a safety, failed to recover an onside kick and what Benjamin did on that punt last night was a fine-able offense.

I'm beginning to wonder if the actually dedicate significant practice time to this.
    Between the fumble that ruined the Saints game and that stupid-ass special teams play yesterday, I really don't know what to think of Benjamin. I'd say get rid of his ass, but he's a pretty good receiver. So I don't know.

I noticed our punter was good yesterday. The week before, I felt like he owed somebody a lot of money and needed to throw the game. The shanked punt. The fake injury. The botched hold. I mean - the botched hold wasn't a normal botched hold in which the ball is bobbled or not laid down correctly - it straight went through his hands - as in no effort.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Travis Benjamin is fat and happy after his big Charger payday. I wish we could cut him. McCluster is a much better punt returner and is fearless. I love that.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• RobH
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Tokyo, Japan
        • University English Lecturer
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Millionaire Pussy View Post
        Travis Benjamin is fat and happy after his big Charger payday. I wish we could cut him. McCluster is a much better punt returner and is fearless. I love that.
        Benjamin is a receiver more than punt returner. He earns his money there.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
          Benjamin is a receiver more than punt returner. He earns his money there.
          I HOPE so!!!
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
            THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
            Generous Donor
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Benjamin is clearly contact-averse. Love the speed and the ability, but he doesn't have elite level hands and the lack of toughness is a big red flag. Fixable, but he has to decide if he's a football player.
            NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• Geezbolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Sun Valley, ID
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
              I noticed our punter was good yesterday.
              I mute the TV during most games and listen to the radio feed. Hardwick said Mike Scifres talked to Kaser this week and told him to relax and have some fun. Thank you Dr. Mike. I also think taking the holding duties away probably helped too.

Comment

• vinabolt
                Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                • Feb 2015
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                I mute the TV during most games and listen to the radio feed. Hardwick said Mike Scifres talked to Kaser this week and told him to relax and have some fun. Thank you Dr. Mike. I also think taking the holding duties away probably helped too.
                That was what I said yesterday, lol. The coaching staff on the sideline need to calmed the players down and tell some joke or something to relax them. Every clutch QB use this trick before an important drive, they would said something funny to calm everybody down.

It's the tense and the fear that make you commit the silly mistakes, the out-of-character mistakes.

You screamed at them during the week to get them hyped up and ready for the game. You stay calm during the game and get them to calm down.
                Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• homeless simpson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Based on the previous games before this Thursday game where the "coaches" pointed out Benjamins disappointing performance as a punt returner, they sure made it seem like Travis would be benched.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by KYBoltsFan View Post
                    Benjamin is clearly contact-averse. Love the speed and the ability, but he doesn't have elite level hands and the lack of toughness is a big red flag. Fixable, but he has to decide if he's a football player.
                    I think he made that decision a while ago. Maybe Deon Sanders advised him?
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
                      Disgruntled
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Alabama
                      • Send PM

Still need to clean this unit up. Bad decisions put us in a hole we were fortunate to dig out of this time. Props to Lambo for a game winning kick, but our returners need to be making better decisions.
                      sigpic

Comment

• JDA21
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Whalen is awful..he is not the answer

hopefully they get rid of him

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀