• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Greg Roman was the Ravens' TE coach in 2018 when they drafted Hayden Hurst at No. 25 in the first round. Hurst was the first TE off the board.

The Ravens then drafted Mark Andrews at #86 in the third round of the same draft. Andrews was much better than anyone expected.

Roman became the Ravens' OC in 2019.

Before the draft in 2020, the Ravens traded Hurst and a 2020 4th round pick to the Falcons for Atlanta's 2020 2nd and 5th round picks.

The Falcons declined to pick up Hurst's 5th year option in 2021, and he became a FA in 2022.

He signed a one year deal with the Bengals in 2022.

He then signed a 3-year deal with Carolina last off-season, then suffered the aforementioned concussion late last year. The Panthers released him yesterday.

The Chargers' new brain trust is probably getting Hurst for the minimum, it remains to be seen whether he factors in as a starter or principal player, they may just be signing him on a prove-it deal and for depth.

But it does seem as if they are going to make blocking a priority at TE over flashy play-making ability in the passing game, and want workhorse TEs.

Doesn't seem like Bowers is a good fit in their scheme, but I really can't say, they could surprise us on draft day.

But if they do covet workhouse blocking TEs with big bodies, Harbaugh's Michigan TE AJ Barner fits that mold. PFF projects Barner going top of the 6th round.

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I think the first move back is the low hanging fruit trade. And thats letting the Giants take 5 for a QB like McCarty. Teams may battle for that pick. Id force the Giants to give us 6/47. Vikes may send us a 1 next year for a QB. Really need the QB4 hype to pick up. Need Nabers to show well at his pro day. Teams may also battle for one of the 3 WRs. Alt could be a target for a LT needy team.
      Lots of rumors about WASH just taking MH2 with their 2nd pick cause they think NE want him, then trading back up to 5 to get JJ with the chargers.
      WASH have picks 36 and 40 in the 2nd. 67 and 100 in the 3rd.

Sorta like how HOU went back up for Will Anderson…

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
        And im honestly still not counting out Bowers. I wouldn't count out Nabers or Odunze if we brought in a mediocre WR. This scheme features TEs. Im not feeling great about the TE group to be honest. I would have preferred a trade for Likely. lol

Lets see how this all unfolds.

Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 8.09.20 AM.png
        I'd be happy with Bowers or any of the top WR prospects. And I say nay on trading down if it gets us to a spot too far down.

Hayden Hurst has had his troubles. He could be the new Gerald Everett depending on how the coaches do with him.

Comment

• Geezbolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Sun Valley, ID
          • Send PM

I'm pulling for the guy. Welcome Hayden

Hayden Hurst isn't your typical first-round tight end. After a failed baseball career, Hurst turned to the football field.... then, tragedy nearly struck. He...

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

if we got him for the vet min, then cool, and.... not so excited 'bout this p/u,
            RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Lots of rumors about WASH just taking MH2 with their 2nd pick cause they think NE want him, then trading back up to 5 to get JJ with the chargers.
              WASH have picks 36 and 40 in the 2nd. 67 and 100 in the 3rd.

Sorta like how HOU went back up for Will Anderson…

Whatever it takes to get picks and still have amazing talent. Im down. I always say this...there is a thousand ways to skin a cat. And this staff we have in place is a bunch of dogs.

Sorry to our PETA peeps.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I'd be happy with Bowers or any of the top WR prospects. And I say nay on trading down if it gets us to a spot too far down.

Hayden Hurst has had his troubles. He could be the new Gerald Everett depending on how the coaches do with him.
                If we are in 12 more than 11...you cant go into the season with this group of TEs and feel good about it. Dissly is dinged we have no blocking TE. Hurst may be so cheap that he isnt exactly a lock? Not sure what the numbers are. If we end up throwing to TEs close to 160 plus times a season i sort of cringe at those we have in place to make those efficient plays.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

don't think you sign guys just because you're familiar w/them >> Roman and/or Hortiz.... think I'd have rather had Nick Vannett than this guy,
                  RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Chargers8491
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post
                    Prepare for a trade down and an OT, folks…

This team desperately needs more picks in this draft.
                    BAD.
                    Or trade down and take Bowers. Pick up OT later.
                    1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                    3a- #66 Puni OT
                    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                    4a- #105 Rice WR
                    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                    5- #140 Green CB
                    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

This seems like a really risky signing, given how bad his concussion was. Clearly they have more medical info than we ever will but I'm not sure we can afford to whiff on even a bargain basement signing.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

I don’t want to be here. That was the main thought racing through my mind as I sat in the plain room in Jacksonville, Florida waiting for my session to begin. I’d spoken to multiple therapists. They all had their own different methods. But at this point I was getting desperate. I needed to fix …

Hayden Hurst was a walk-on at South Carolina - a 22-year-old freshman in 2015. In high school he had quit football to focus on baseball, his sights set on becoming a major league pitcher. He was drafted by the Pirates in the 12th round of the 2012 MLB draft, turning down a baseball scholarship to Fla State. He got a $400k signing bonus. But things went haywire and he lost his ability, mentally, throw a baseball accurately. He bombed out of baseball and decided to try football. He's a naturally gifted athlete and he became a star at South Carolina. After three seasons, at age 25 in 2018, the Ravens drafted him #25 overall. Honestly, when you look at his college production, it's hard to understand why he was a first round pick. He was the Raven's 1st pick in that draft - ahead of Lamar Jackson. He will turn 31 a few weeks before the season starts.

haydenhurst2018-800x534.jpg
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                          don't think you sign guys just because you're familiar w/them >> Roman and/or Hortiz.... think I'd have rather had Nick Vannett than this guy,
                          Really? I did not see much difference between Vannett and a mop and bucket last season.

Dissly is a good signing if we want to run the ball more effectively. Hurst is a low risk gamble, counting on him being healthy after his unusual amnesia deal last season. They can probabily cut him in camp if he is washed and it won’t cost much of anything.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X