OT: Norv is resigning from the Vikes....

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

OT: Norv is resigning from the Vikes....

• bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Hope it is a football issue and not a medical one
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I wished Norv had quit when he was here as a HC. This is still an interesting development.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Little Johnny Spanos reached out to him and told him what a big mistake they made firing him and longed to reunite for the Good 'Ole Days. He offered him his old job back and will be introduced after firing McCoy at the Bye.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
          Little Johnny Spanos reached out to him and told him what a big mistake they made firing him and longed to reunite for the Good 'Ole Days. He offered him his old job back and will be introduced after firing McCoy at the Bye.
          Ha! I could totally see that happening.

Seriously, I haven't followed the Vikings too closely, was their offense sputtering or something? Weren't they the last undefeated team?

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Norv:
              “I have tremendous respect for Mike Zimmer, our coaching staff, and our players and at this time I think it is in the best interest of the team to step down. I thank the Wilf family for my time here in Minnesota and want to see our players and coaches achieve success.”

Comment

• FiftyFive
                Dean Spanos is a traitor!
                • Dec 2014
                • Send PM

The rumor is that Shurmur designed the offense and called the plays the first few weeks because he was already familiar with Bradford. Then Norval took over in the bye week and - like everything else he touches that doesn't involve Aikman, Irvin and Smith - their offense promptly went to shit.

Reading what Vikings fans are saying, their complaints about Norb sound awfully familiar. Especially the ones about how he ignored how bad their O-Line was and kept calling plays as if he still had the 1990s Cowboys' stacked OL. And the ones about how he wasn't creative and refused to adapt.

Hopefully this puts an end to the myth that Norv is "a great offensive mind." He has done nothing ever as a coordinator or a head coach without the most stacked team of the '90s. A five-year-old could have called the plays for that Cowboys offense and looked like a prodigy.
                Last edited by FiftyFive; 11-02-2016, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

I have to think that Zim asked him to step down, or he'd be forced to fire him.

Living in Viking country... there is a lot of angst about the team. Of course 2 weeks ago, they were "Winning the Super Bowl" and possibly going undefeated! -I live to laugh at the Vikings homers in the area.

They certainly have had their offensive problems... but it's not like they are running out a bunch of superstars. And they can't block, at all. Which we all know what that means, when Norv is calling the plays.
                  Deadspin's Drew Magary's take on it (he's a Vikings fan): http://deadspin.com/vikings-replace-...ock-1788487282
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner resigned Wednesday, following the team's second straight loss.

"I have tremendous respect for [head coach] Mike Zimmer, our coaching staff and our players and at this time I think it is in the best interest of the team to step down," Turner said in a statement. "I thank the Wilf family for my time here in Minnesota and want to see our players and coaches achieve success."

EDITOR'S PICKS

After Turner surprised Zimmer on Wednesday morning with his resignation, Turner told ESPN's Ed Werder, "I think it's just we have different views on where the offense was going."

Zimmer said later Wednesday that he was "very, very surprised" by the resignation, and called Turner, 64, a "very good friend of mine."

The resignation seemed to stem from a philosophical difference between Turner and Zimmer. As early as the 2014 off-season, Zimmer had gone to then-Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson in order to pick his brain on offense, to be more educated in order to evaluate things for himself.

Zimmer also announced that he had a minor procedure on Tuesday for a torn retina.

Pat Shurmur, who was hired this offseason as the Vikings' tight ends coach, will be the interim offensive coordinator.

The Vikings lost 20-10 to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on Monday night, their second loss after a 5-0 start. They lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 21-10 on Oct. 23.

Then-offensive coordinator Norv Turner, right, talks with Bears coach John Fox before his Vikings lost on Monday night. AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh
                    The Vikings are second-worst in the league in total offense and in yards per game, at 293.3. The team has also been hit by injuries to Adrian Peterson, who tore the meniscus in his right knee, and linemen Matt Kalil and Andre Smith. Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater suffered a dislocated knee and ligament damage in an August practice.

Vikings quarterback Sam Bradford said he was surprised when he heard the news about Turner.

"I didn't see this coming," he said.

The quarterback said he found out about Turner resigning when his wife called him after she saw a sports alert.

Minnesota safety Harrison Smith, on a conference call with Detroit reporters, said Turner's resignation sends a message that the Vikings need to get back on track.

"I've always loved Norv," Smith said, "but right now all I can do is focus on playing the Lions."

Turner's son, Scott, is the Vikings' quarterbacks coach, and will remain with the team.

Shurmur has been Bradford's offensive coordinator twice before -- in St. Louis in 2010, Bradford's rookie season, and in Philadelphia in 2015.

Zimmer hired Turner in 2014 following a one-season stint as offensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns. Before that, Turner spent six seasons as the San Diego Chargers' head coach. At the time, Turner inherited a Vikings offense that ranked 13th overall but 23rd in passing.

The Vikings are the fourth team to change offensive coordinators since the season began. The Bills fired Greg Roman on Sept. 16, the Ravens fired Marc Trestman on Oct. 10 and the Jaguars fired Greg Olson on Friday.

The 5-2 Vikings, who are still in first place in the NFC North, host the Detroit Lions on Sunday.

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FiftyFive View Post
                      The rumor is that Shurmur designed the offense and called the plays the first few weeks because he was already familiar with Bradford. Then Norval took over in the bye week and - like everything else he touches that doesn't involve Aikman, Irvin and Smith - their offense promptly went to shit.

Reading what Vikings fans are saying, their complaints about Norb sound awfully familiar. Especially the ones about how he ignored how bad their O-Line was and kept calling plays as if he still had the 1990s Cowboys' stacked OL. And the ones about how he wasn't creative and refused to adapt.

Hopefully this puts an end to the myth that Norv is "a great offensive mind." He has done nothing ever as a coordinator or a head coach without the most stacked team of the '90s. A five-year-old could have called the plays for that Cowboys offense and looked like a prodigy.
                      This!

It was a sad day when the Bolts hired Norval
                      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner resigned Wednesday, following the team's second straight loss.

"I have tremendous respect for [head coach] Mike Zimmer, our coaching staff and our players and at this time I think it is in the best interest of the team to step down," Turner said in a statement. "I thank the Wilf family for my time here in Minnesota and want to see our players and coaches achieve success."

EDITOR'S PICKS

After Turner surprised Zimmer on Wednesday morning with his resignation, Turner told ESPN's Ed Werder, "I think it's just we have different views on where the offense was going."

Zimmer said later Wednesday that he was "very, very surprised" by the resignation, and called Turner, 64, a "very good friend of mine."

The resignation seemed to stem from a philosophical difference between Turner and Zimmer. As early as the 2014 off-season, Zimmer had gone to then-Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson in order to pick his brain on offense, to be more educated in order to evaluate things for himself.

Zimmer also announced that he had a minor procedure on Tuesday for a torn retina.

Pat Shurmur, who was hired this offseason as the Vikings' tight ends coach, will be the interim offensive coordinator.

The Vikings lost 20-10 to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on Monday night, their second loss after a 5-0 start. They lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 21-10 on Oct. 23.

Then-offensive coordinator Norv Turner, right, talks with Bears coach John Fox before his Vikings lost on Monday night. AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh
                        The Vikings are second-worst in the league in total offense and in yards per game, at 293.3. The team has also been hit by injuries to Adrian Peterson, who tore the meniscus in his right knee, and linemen Matt Kalil and Andre Smith. Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater suffered a dislocated knee and ligament damage in an August practice.

Vikings quarterback Sam Bradford said he was surprised when he heard the news about Turner.

"I didn't see this coming," he said.

The quarterback said he found out about Turner resigning when his wife called him after she saw a sports alert.

Minnesota safety Harrison Smith, on a conference call with Detroit reporters, said Turner's resignation sends a message that the Vikings need to get back on track.

"I've always loved Norv," Smith said, "but right now all I can do is focus on playing the Lions."

Turner's son, Scott, is the Vikings' quarterbacks coach, and will remain with the team.

Shurmur has been Bradford's offensive coordinator twice before -- in St. Louis in 2010, Bradford's rookie season, and in Philadelphia in 2015.

Zimmer hired Turner in 2014 following a one-season stint as offensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns. Before that, Turner spent six seasons as the San Diego Chargers' head coach. At the time, Turner inherited a Vikings offense that ranked 13th overall but 23rd in passing.

The Vikings are the fourth team to change offensive coordinators since the season began. The Bills fired Greg Roman on Sept. 16, the Ravens fired Marc Trestman on Oct. 10 and the Jaguars fired Greg Olson on Friday.

The 5-2 Vikings, who are still in first place in the NFC North, host the Detroit Lions on Sunday.
                        So there's the Bradford to Vikings connection. I'm guessing as they lost offensive stars NOrv came under pressure to adapt the offense to what they had left and keep Bradford safe to last the whole season, but as usual he wanted to "stick with what he knows works" and Shurmer's influence increased to where Zimmer had to make a choice on best chances of success for the entire year. I think he made the right choice.
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                        X