Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Is The WR Corps Better in 2024?

Does jettisoning KA & MW and adding McConkey & Rice improve the WR corps?
    Yes.
    39.22%
    No.
    60.78%
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Send PM

Obviously I wrote this before the Cornelius Johnson pick.

Comment

• Craig440
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Come on man no way can I say it is better at this stage of the game. The fact they are young and may develop into a better duo is yet to be seen.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post
        Come on man no way can I say it is better at this stage of the game. The fact they are young and may develop into a better duo is yet to be seen.
        That's fair.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Oklahoma
          • Send PM

How many games did Mike and Keenan play together healthy? Chances are the three new receivers will have many more games together.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

WR ROOM (not counting Fehoko)
            Josh Palmer 24 (the old man)
            Cornelius Johnson 23
            Derius Davis 23
            Quentin Johnston 22
            Ladd McConkey 22
            Brenden Rice 22 (barely)

Will all six make the roster? I don't know if Roman typically carries 6 WR. Does drafting two WRs late indicate they are not happy with Palmer, DD or QJ, and they are looking to move on from one of them?

(I'm not counting Simi Fehoko, he's still under contract but I think it's safe to assume he's going to be gone.)

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
              How many games did Mike and Keenan play together healthy? Chances are the three new receivers will have many more games together.
              True. Very true indeed.

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

Not at all…but they were serious about rounding out the room. Getting Rice and Johnson in the 7th is crazy value. Time to compete! Doesn’t matter if QJ was a first round pick. If Rice or Johnson are better, they’ll play

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

This WR corps got a lot younger, and as L. Gross man noted above, hopefully these guys are not as injury addled and the WR corps is not depleted half way into the season. Herbert is going to have a lot of fun working with all this new WR talent between now and the start of the season, getting to know them and their quirks, strengths and tendencies.

Comment

• Rugger05
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Um not even close but this roster needed a major overhaul and it will not be complete after one off-season. This is a very very young WR room with Palmer being the old man as a fourth year WR. I do like the WR coach they brought in from the Seahawks so lets see if he can work his magic with these young kids.

I personally think the Palmer has earned an extension so do you extend him now before he becomes WR1 next season? He has improved every year and while I do not think he is an elite WR in any stretch I do believe he is a very good WR who the Charges should lock up.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The WR room as a whole is way more rounded now. More talented overall. Obviously they need to prove it, but I'm glad to have a stable of young WRs.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                        Um not even close but this roster needed a major overhaul and it will not be complete after one off-season. This is a very very young WR room with Palmer being the old man as a fourth year WR. I do like the WR coach they brought in from the Seahawks so lets see if he can work his magic with these young kids.

I personally think the Palmer has earned an extension so do you extend him now before he becomes WR1 next season? He has improved every year and while I do not think he is an elite WR in any stretch I do believe he is a very good WR who the Charges should lock up.
                        The way I see it, I don't see a traditional hierarchy in the WR corps where you have a standout WR who is the clear #1. I don't think Palmer is a #1 in the traditional sense. But I keep citing the Packers' WR corps as one the Chargers should emulate, four capable, solid WRs, but none of them elite. That worked well for Jordan Love, and I think it will work well for Herbert. The Chargers will have 5 guys like that, 6 if you count DD, and assuming QJ takes a step forward this season. I don't know if Roman will carry 5 or 6 WRs though. Hopefully 6.

Comment

Working...
                        X