• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

All the WRs are sleepers in G-Ro's offense. Ya gotta block. Gotta have a good release, hands. Timing and plays called will be new for the most part. Work hard, Compete.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

I like what they did with drafting these guys, we were all scratching our heads about having only palmer, qj, dd, and fehoko on the roster...but if you'd have offered me a bet on whether or not the chargers would take 3 WRs in the draft I would've laughed at ya and not because I don't gamble, but because it sounds ridiculous and yet it happened, and now I think it was pure genius what they did, they aggressively addressed CB and WR and then sprinkled a little bit here and there to help bring the roster to a place of respectability...

I really like this young group, I think they are going to surprise people and not just Ladd, Branden, and Cornelius...but also QJ and perhaps even Davis, I think much like Rice, QJ will be coming in with a big chip on his shoulder and a sense of urgency that's going to be a welcome development in 2024, their emergence as a reliable cadre of pass catchers for Herbert is going to be fun story to follow...I've seen this all unfold before, losing Mike and Keenan is not the end of Justin Herbert, it's only the beginning
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
        I like what they did with drafting these guys, we were all scratching our heads about having only palmer, qj, dd, and fehoko on the roster...but if you'd have offered me a bet on whether or not the chargers would take 3 WRs in the draft I would've laughed at ya and not because I don't gamble, but because it sounds ridiculous and yet it happened, and now I think it was pure genius what they did, they aggressively addressed CB and WR and then sprinkled a little bit here and there to help bring the roster to a place of respectability...

I really like this young group, I think they are going to surprise people and not just Ladd, Branden, and Cornelius...but also QJ and perhaps even Davis, I think much like Rice, QJ will be coming in with a big chip on his shoulder and a sense of urgency that's going to be a welcome development in 2024, their emergence as a reliable cadre of pass catchers for Herbert is going to be fun story to follow...I've seen this all unfold before, losing Mike and Keenan is not the end of Justin Herbert, it's only the beginning;)
        Quote of the day!!!

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Fair enough...I still consider Rice a sleeper waiting to awaken. Herbert will love to throw him jump balls like Mike Williams and he gives us a chance at the deep ball tracking skills and being a QBs best friend when the chips are down. Weird that he dropped to the 7th round as I thought for sure they would take him with a 5th...
          Oh I loved the Rice pick and have good hopes for him but his game is inconsistent and he might take some time. I was trying to answer the original question fairly. I dont think we can say this young group is better than Keenan and Mike...yet.

That is not to say I am not on board with going young and getting out of salary cap hell. I supported the moves form day one and was a Charger fan who did not lose my shit whatsoever when they traded Keenan.

Comment

• el_jefe999
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2023
            • Send PM

To answer the OPs question no we aren't better because rookies have to prove themselves but we also save about 60 million dollars in salary we can use to make the rest of the team better.

Mcconkey was one I was really hoping for as he was the best separator in the draft and has plenty of speed to play outside. I assume it would be a late round 1 in a trade down but happy it wasn't which allowed us to get Alt.

Rice is a huge question mark but one thing is for sure is that Rice is a true X with tenacity and the needed size with college production. QJ is on notice he need to step up his game.

At this point I don't see anymore signings in the WR room. Fehoko will be cut and at least 1 if not 2 of the rest will land on the practice squad.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

At this point, no matter who are #1 and 2 WRs.
              If they can stay on the field.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Our WR room today is better than i was last year. Period. Not debatable.

KA and MW go down and who were running routes besides JP? 2023 Q, who was not ready to play NFL ball. Then a series of scrubs.

McConkey is gonna blow minds, Im a bit surprised so few see it in his tape but its there if you go back and look.

2024 vs 2023
                2024 Q >>> 2023 Q
                Rice >>> Guyton and every other scrub we’ve suffered the last 10 years.
                JP = JP
                McConkey = Slayer with speed, net plus
                Williams never plays, whats the loss?
                We haven’t even added in Cornelius…

2024 = better. The “muh i gotta see it before I … uh … uh … uh “ shit is boring. If you’re gonna wait to see shit before you post about it, you’re just a fucking day old newspaper and don’t bother to post opinions about the future as you literally just said you can’t see the future. There, i said it - ha!
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                  Our WR room today is better than i was last year. Period. Not debatable.

KA and MW go down and who were running routes besides JP? 2023 Q, who was not ready to play NFL ball. Then a series of scrubs.

McConkey is gonna blow minds, Im a bit surprised so few see it in his tape but its there if you go back and look.

2024 vs 2023
                  2024 Q >>> 2023 Q
                  Rice >>> Guyton and every other scrub we’ve suffered the last 10 years.
                  JP = JP
                  McConkey = Slayer with speed, net plus
                  Williams never plays, whats the loss?
                  We haven’t even added in Cornelius…

2024 = better. The “muh i gotta see it before I … uh … uh … uh “ shit is boring. If you’re gonna wait to see shit before you post about it, you’re just a fucking day old newspaper and don’t bother to post opinions about the future as you literally just said you can’t see the future. There, i said it - ha!
                  All of this. I'm sure you recall how big of a fan I was of both MW and KA. I didn't think they would trade KA, even with his huge salary holding the team back. But MW only played in 3 games. KA missed 4 games. Josh Palmer missed 7 games. Herbert was out there throwing to an underachieving QJ and Guyton and Erickson.

This WR corps needed a serious revamping. Now they loaded it with young players who are legit NFL WRs. Not just McConkey. Both Rice and Johnson are legit NFL caliber players who dropped because there was so much WR talent in this draft. They are not what you usually expect from 7th round picks. they are 4th-5th round talents.

I keep talking about the Packers' receiving corps, comprised of a quartet of capable WRs without any of them being a stand-out elite player. Well the Chargers have five of them. I look forward to Herbert ripping the heart out of AFC West defenses with this group, protected by an OL book-ended by Slater and Alt.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Cornelius Johnson is 6-3 and ran a 4.44 at the Combine. That is legit NFL caliber. He was not fully utilized at Mich because Harbaugh's Wolverines had so many other weapons. You might say he's a sleeper, but Harbaugh certainly knows his talent, that's why he had no qualms drafting him immediately after drafting Rice. He was too good to leave on the board in the late 7th.

Cornelius Johnson Highlights

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Cornelius Johnson is 6-3 and ran a 4.44 at the Combine. That is legit NFL caliber. He was not fully utilized at Mich because Harbaugh's Wolverines had so many other weapons. You might say he's a sleeper, but Harbaugh certainly knows his talent, that's why he had no qualms drafting him immediately after drafting Rice. He was too good to leave on the board in the late 7th.

Cornelius Johnson Highlights
                      And he was a Chargers fan as a youngster, apparently lived in San Diego in the LT era. Who really knows for sure, but I do like this group of WRs, no superstar yet, but some potential with McConkey, and the 7th round steals.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

I don't think any of the current WRs are better than Keenan or will ever be better than #13.

However, QJ has the potential to be better than Mike Williams.
                        And the entire corp.of WR. With QJ, Palmer, McCkonkey, Davis, Rice and Johnson is a very solid group on paper.

Justin has weapons.
                        But my favorite weapon added for Justin Herbert was Joe Alt.
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                          I don't think any of the current WRs are better than Keenan or will ever be better than #13.
                          I agree, unless McConkey turns out to be like Keenan and is an immediate stud like Keenan was as a rookie in 2013.

But given the circumstance now, with Keenan's salary coupled with his age and Mike's inability to stay on the field, it feels like this has worked out for the better. Especially given that the plethora of WR talent available in this draft pushed some legit NFL WRs down the draft boards where the Chargers got two young promising players in a steal. It remains to be seen how this plays out. But potentially the Chargers got three WRs in this draft who could become essential players in a deep corps of WRs that Herbert will be throwing to for years.

Comment

Working...
                          X