• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Norv

Reading about the browns today in my local paper. Here is what the lazy local beat writer believes about Norv

- strict disciplinarian. Always yelling during ota
    - very flexible. Not wedded to one offensive system
    - will coach to his players' strengths
    - great QB guru. Does not need a QB coach
    - simplifies things. Clarity will help young QB Weeden. West coast offense deployed under prior coach too complicated
    - will be good for young WR who struggled with mental part of the game

Hard for me to read it. Shows you how little research these reporters conduct.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

that's in the Bizarro NFL World only !
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

...sucks.

Oh, I thought we were supposed to complete the sentence.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Amazing that all but one of those items in that list is exactly the opposite of how he conducted himself as HC here.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          Reading about the browns today in my local paper. Here is what the lazy local beat writer believes about Norv

- simplifies things. Clarity will help young QB Weeden. West coast offense deployed under prior coach too complicated

TG
          Some of that is probably true, most of it I suspect. Those are the same things a lot of players and writers said about him as an OC at other stops, including when he was our OC under Riley.

Often times OC are great when they are working for a HC and getting directions. They are forced to work with limitations, accommodate what the HC sets as tactics and strategy. I really do think Norv is probably great in those circumstances.

But they go and try to make those decisions and do it their way, they fall apart. I always felt like Norv had his offense and was doing what he wanted to do, trying to make it work. When he would dial things back because he had to accommodate a bunch of guys off the street due to injuries, we often had our best games (pitt this year). We would get a couple of good weeks, then he would start to expand things, go nuts, and we would be right back were we started.

It will be interesting to see how Chud does as Norv's HC. Chud is a guy who had a great deal of success working at the college level, and when forced to dial things back in Carolina.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

TG
            LOL, the only thing im buying is perhaps they dont need a QB coach but everything else is laugher.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

TG
              HAHAHA, this guy really gets paid?

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Some of that is probably true, most of it I suspect. Those are the same things a lot of players and writers said about him as an OC at other stops, including when he was our OC under Riley.

Often times OC are great when they are working for a HC and getting directions. They are forced to work with limitations, accommodate what the HC sets as tactics and strategy. I really do think Norv is probably great in those circumstances.

But they go and try to make those decisions and do it their way, they fall apart. I always felt like Norv had his offense and was doing what he wanted to do, trying to make it work. When he would dial things back because he had to accommodate a bunch of guys off the street due to injuries, we often had our best games (pitt this year). We would get a couple of good weeks, then he would start to expand things, go nuts, and we would be right back were we started.

It will be interesting to see how Chud does as Norv's HC. Chud is a guy who had a great deal of success working at the college level, and when forced to dial things back in Carolina.
                I agree with this.
                I'm not sure a first time HC like Chud will keep Norv in line enough to not completely Norv things up over there.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Those two together might be to creative for there own good.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• homeless simpson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

a local newspaper talking glowingly about the their sports team's new coaching staff? i bet that only happens in cleveland.....

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

You should expect puff pieces by local newspapers, but not straight up lies. The very flexible and not wedded to 1 system is just a lie. The simple comment is also laughable since Norv has a massive playbook and runs a pretty complex system which is why he hated to have rookies on offense.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Thanks, Beerman. That is why I posted it. It was a bit over the top and so far off the mark, even for a puff piece intended to stoke the homer fires for the local fans. I literally almost choked when I read it. Chud is a Norv disciple; I see no way he limits what Norv does or tries to change the system. Norv has run the same offense everywhere he has been, as far as I have seen.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍