• Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The Secondary

The Good The Bad and The Ugly:

Gregory isn't the only reason for the Broncos' issues. Here are five reasons for the drastic uptick in scoring against Denver.

Our AFC West 2013 positional rankings series marches on with a deep, strong group of defensive backs:

1. Eric Weddle, San Diego: He is everything you want in a safety. He is a complete player.
    9. Derek Cox, San Diego: A solid player who was badly needed.
    21. Darrell Stuckey, San Diego: Ditto.

22. Shareece Wright, San Diego: Inexperienced player who get a chance to start.

23. Brandon Taylor, San Diego: He has ability, but is coming off a torn ACL

24. Phillip Adams, Oakland: He played well at times last season.

25. Marcus Gilchrist, San Diego: Versatile player will get a chance to play.

26. Brandian Ross, Oakland: He showed some nice flashes last year.

27. Joselio Hanson, Oakland: He is decent injury insurance.

28. Sanders Commings, Kansas City: Rookie showed flashes in the offseason.

29. Husain Abdullah, Kansas City: He took year off last year for personal reasons. He has starting experience.
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

We all know the old truism about the weakest link. Well here it is. Let's hope the front seven plays over its head.

And congrats to Weddle. Hopefully all the draft trade up crap goes away now.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Big Dog
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Man, KC has 4 DB's in the top 8 ... Dunta is their worst starter and he would be our #2 after Weddle

Comment

• onelazyfock
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
        Man, KC has 4 DB's in the top 8 ... Dunta is their worst starter and he would be our #2 after Weddle
        I wouldn't take much from that list. It is more a list of rank the CB's by their pay/name. As much as our secondary has some questions we won't be the worst the division I am confident of that. I get the feeling that they will make some mistakes but they will also make plays. Telesco's strategy seems to be to get very fast and athletic CB's and let them try and make plays and I am curious to see how they perform. Almost all the guys we brought in ran a 4.3; Cox, Williams, Patrick etc. Very contrasting style compared to AJ>

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
          Denver has 8 guys listed before the list gets to the 3rd Charger.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

If you think Champ Bailey is the 3rd Best defensive back in the division, I've got a bridge to sell.

and our guys, outside of Weddle are rated ridiculously low. Gilchrist is better than at least half the guys listed ahead of him.

And I actually wonder if they watched these players, or just did this off of reputation. Did anyone watch the Chiefs and Raiders play defense last year? Those teams sucked.

Whatever.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I think it's pretty normal to rate players from winning teams higher than players from bad or average teams.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

If Jammer were still on the Chargers, they would have rated him 26th.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I do think Bailey is the 3rd best DB in the division. But lets remember that outside of Weddle, every other DB has some flaws. Berry is a good FS type, but he gets turned in man coverage and bites on a lot of play action. I would say Bailey is 3rd, but not by much. If he starts to slow down, then he is in trouble. Fortunately for the Donks, they are pretty deep at CB, so I don't think Bailey getting old is going to hurt them too much. I might rank Flowers higher, but I understand why a lot of other people don't like him so much. He is small and slow. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to the new coaches and their new secondary.

Williamson ranks people highly if he can remember seeing them play. Gilchrist has had a lot of playing time the last 2 years, but because he has only gotten attention when he was abused, he doesn't get much credit for it. He is also probably being downgraded some because his playing time was at nickle CB, and he is now being played at S.

Wright is the guy who could really impress. Writers like Williamson tend to overemphasize experience, and minimize the technique side of things. Wright has almost no practical experience as a CB, but his technique is really pretty good, or was last preseason. He is going to take some lumps short term, but players with good technique can get by. Players with inconsistent technique are doomed no matter how much experience they have. They will always give up plays. I think Wright is going to be very good. My concern is about his health not his ability as a player.

How did Stuckey even make it on that list? And how does he beat any of our other inexperienced DB? He has basically no experience at S. I still hope he develops, but it seems somewhat unlikely at this point.

Woodson at #10 is a stretch, considering he is already slowing down.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    The Good The Bad and The Ugly:

Gregory isn't the only reason for the Broncos' issues. Here are five reasons for the drastic uptick in scoring against Denver.

Our AFC West 2013 positional rankings series marches on with a deep, strong group of defensive backs:

1. Eric Weddle, San Diego: He is everything you want in a safety. He is a complete player.
                    9. Derek Cox, San Diego: A solid player who was badly needed.
                    21. Darrell Stuckey, San Diego: Ditto.

22. Shareece Wright, San Diego: Inexperienced player who get a chance to start. *** See DJ Haden. If Wright were a first round pick, would be rated higher.

23. Brandon Taylor, San Diego: He has ability, but is coming off a torn ACL

24. Phillip Adams, Oakland: He played well at times last season.

25. Marcus Gilchrist, San Diego: Versatile player will get a chance to play.
                    ***He played well at times last year, too.

26. Brandian Ross, Oakland: He showed some nice flashes last year.

27. Joselio Hanson, Oakland: He is decent injury insurance. ** Wow. Overweight but has a pretty face?

28. Sanders Commings, Kansas City: Rookie showed flashes in the offseason. ** Offseason OTAs in shorts? Big reach.

29. Husain Abdullah, Kansas City: He took year off last year for personal reasons. He has starting experience.***** Taking a year off helps you crack the top 30!
                    Williamson should just stop doing these.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

DRC and Dunta are a joke. DRC has pretty much been a bust and Dunta was awful last season.

Berry was a shell of himself last season coming off his ACL reconstruction. Maybe he comes back to his pre 2011 form, but to put him 2nd based on his previous play is just silly. (and he even admits it "with extended health")

Champ was still solid, but not the shutdown guy he used to be.

There really just isn't that much secondary talent in the AFC West. It's all on the D line's/LB corps.

Comment

• Boltdog
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Lunar Surface
                        • Nutrition Consultant
                        • Send PM

If they all stay healthy and the young guys live up to their billing, DEN and KC will have two of the best secondary units in the NFL, not just in the AFC West. BTW, I like these rankings by Williamson as the off-season comes to a close. IMO, they give a decent perspective and comparison of the talent improvement or decline among our division rivals going into the new season....
                        Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡