Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Jordan Mailata

interesting draft prospect, 20 years old rugby player, 6 foot 8 inches. 346 pounds. 5.12. 40 yard dash. 35.5 inch arms

Very Raw, working out at IMG Academy, the same place that brought us Moritz Bohringer

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I thought he was OK. Let's remember, he doesn't know the technique, so the fact that the guy in the blue shirt is schooling him doesn't mean he is awful, just that he needs a lot of work.

For a team like Cleveland, they can probably keep a guy like him on their PS. I am not sure we can afford to keep a guy like that. He can't be on the active roster. Sooner or later, he would need to play, and that isn't going to happen, at least not yet. He is a season-ending injury to Rivers waiting to happen. And our PS is usually a pretty active place for players to pass through. If a guy manages to stay on the PS for most of the season, they usually end up on the active roster late in the year (see Tyrell Williams). This is a kid who you would need to commit to a couple of years. And while I love the progress our rookies/pulley made on OL last year, there are only so many developmental guys at one time for the 2 OL coaches.

I really like the fact that he is having a hell of a time not reaching out and hitting the guy across from him. He knows were to keep his eyes at least, even if he is crowding the line, although that is what they tell people to do for that drill. A lot of OL will cheat a little and stay back off the line some so they can give themselves to leverage/room, but he stayed right on the line. He keep pushing the guy back to create that seperation, even though he is right on the line like he is supposed to be.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

IMG Academy to the pros? Maybe in basketball. Not happening in football.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

He is a huge long shot The biggest thing for me is he is only 20 years old. I wonder if he is gonna get any private workouts?

It would be interesting to see him go up against a couple of NFL D linemen in drills and see how he reacts: balance, hands, lateral move and demeanor

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

The NFL is not set up to develop guys and get them ready to play like this guy needs. He needs to work with someone and get a lot of individual attention to learn the techniques the right way. NFL rosters are just not set up to allow teams to stash players and develop them. A 53 man NFL roster is about the right number of players for most teams to have the 45 active players and then have a couple injured guys with minor injuries ready to return in a couple of weeks. UNless everyone is healthy, every spot is more or less devoted to a player needed to play games.

IF I spent a draft pick on the kid (and that is a very, very big IF), it would only be a 7th rounder. Any guy is a huge longshot. Signing him as a UDFA would make more sense. Then make sure he doesn't play in PS or even let him get any snaps in open practices or scrimmages. Don't give any team an excuse to sign him. Then probably repeat next season, before giving him a shot in year 3.

What the Chargers really need to do is some sort of a developmental setup. Find some top former coaches and players who were really technician types and set up a few guys for each position and work on their fundamentals away from the league eyes. Then when you bring them in, they actually have a chance because they are well grounded.

Comment

• Budsman
              Budsman commented
              Editing a comment
              I just don’t see an ol. I see a TE. I see him catch the ball and I see him run through tackles like butter but I dj t see him blocking that well. He would at least be a step forward in the skill department.
          • Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

This guy is clearly an athlete too. One you can see him moving around some in the video.

Second, and much more importantly, Australians love their rugby like sports. They have a lot of big and physical guys. If this guy played professional rugby, he has some athletic skills. Just about every guy on a rugby pitch is a decent athlete. Not necessary as fast as an NFL football player, but it takes athletic ability and a weird mix of strength and endurance. That part could potentially transfer to football really well.

Is that enough? No.

He needs to quickly develop some position fundamentals. Nothing in the rugby highlights shows the ability to translate directly to an NFL position. He has to learn one and do it quick.

Just a quick comparison, Gronk ran a 4.68 40 time at the combine. This kid ran a 5.12. You don't see pass catchers who run 4.9 40's, let alone in the 5.0's. Don't get me wrong, I think he has some quickness. I am not a huge believer in reading too much into the 40 times. This guy does not have the mobility to be running downfield against NFL LB trying to get open. They would be all over him. If he plays TE, he is going to be just a blocker and no threat at all as a receiver.

I don't know if he showed anything that proves he is not an OT or DT. He just didn't show that direct skill crossover. It's a lot easier to imagine Gates as a TE from being a basketball player, or any other rugby guy as an RB or TE with the ball in their hands because you have some film on that. You can see them do it. But at some point, you have to decide if he can get low, fire out and use football skills that he has never been asked to use before.

That is why I don't think anyone is going to draft him. But I would find him interesting to try to develop him as a street FA.

Comment

• Budsman
                Budsman commented
                Editing a comment
                Well put and thought out. I would differ at your mention that lbs would be all over him and he would be just a blocker. Sure I think he might be a REALLY good blocker but he will be perpetually open much like Gronk because he is 6’8’’. Not many LBs or corners are going to win jump balls vs him. Then once he has the ball good luck taking him down without half the team on his back.

Don’t get me wrong he will probably never be An NFL player Much less Gronk. But if I were to look at his rugby skill set and give him a basic understanding of catching a football (vs a basketball) and breaking tackles then take into account that he is nearly undefendable by a defensive back at 6’8 348 with loooong arms he would fit nicely into TE and would pick it up a lot quicker then the very nuanced position of tackle.

I honestly can see him being very good blocking and goal line TE in a year or two and then in a few more years being a real threat once he learns more route running.

Jerry Rice he is not but a giant mountain of a man who creates mismatches he just might be.
            • Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Hes meeting the Chargers on Friday.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

This team has gone off the deep end. They'll probably try him at short yardage rb.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                  blueman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure why not? Try him out in TC.
              • Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

No one is going to spend a draft pick on a guy like this. So, then you just have to ask yourself if you would spend a roster or practice squad spot to develop him. But it is going to take time, and you can't IR him or anything, because he is going to have to practice to learn the fundamentals.

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

I think he is worth a practice squad place. After all he will most likely be an UDFA and the team will be able to get a good look at him. Only 20 years old. Damn

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞