• Show
Clear All
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Mason Rudolph at #17

This is the year we need to draft Rivers' successor. For starters, he is very similar to PR in frame, arm strength, football IQ, etc & would be the perfect candidate to take over for PR in 2+ years. Secondly, I think he would benefit from a coupla years of seasoning under PR & wouldn't need to start right away. Finally, the Chargers wouldn't need to break the bank in a few years being forced to trade up to get that next franchise QB when PR does finally retire.

Other considerations---I am not sure we have any major glaring needs that need to be addressed (moreso than our next franchise QB) at #17. Also, I think a pick like Rudolph would go a long way toward improving fan interest/buy-in with the Chargers having secured their next franchise QB in place in time for the new stadium debut. Lastly, I think Rudolph could possibly be the best QB in the draft. At the very least, he is a sleeper with tremendous upside.
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I would disagree about the glaring needs. I think we need interior defensive linemen, linebackers and perhaps a safety. At some point we do need his replacement, but Rivers has already said a couple of times that he could see playing for longer than the 2 years left on his contract. The question is - when does father time catch up to him? If he can play 3 or 4 more years, than it's too soon for a replacement. But it's really hard to say when that will happen.

Comment

• Maverick
      Maverick commented
      Editing a comment
      As one of PR's biggest fans, I hope he does last another 3-4 years....I just get the sense that he will elect to retire sooner. I think we can fill the other holes better via free agency.

• blueman
      blueman commented
      Editing a comment
      What can we buy with less than 6 mil? If we don’t draft some D players high, we’re gonna have another season like last year’s. Is that the way you want Rivers to go out?
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

I've been reading Lynn prefers more mobile QBs, so would the team really be looking for another pure pocket passer? Also, their history has been to NOT carry a developmental QB as primary back up- or as a 3rd QB on the roster so they can use the extra spot on another position group. Finally, the standard MO has been for 1st round pick QBs to become starters at some point in their rookie season if not immediately out of camps. Not sure how all this fits together?
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
      richpjr commented
      Editing a comment
      The mobile QB thing scares me about us possibly taking Lamar Jackson if he is still there at 17.
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

If the Bolts take a QB at 17 I think it means PR told Telesco and Spani that this is his last year
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

At least work him out. Because the Pats worked him out today. And if they really like him they may trade up with us to get him. Get an additional 2. Of course thats if a player they really want isnt up there.

I like Rudolph. I talked about him often during the ncaa season. I love his deep ball accuracy. And he can move for a 4.9 guy. His 10 and 20 splits were solid. Hes way more mobile than Rivers.

But a project and played in the B12 where QBs have a rep for not doing great at the next level. But he can make all the throws and is more accurate than Allen. I actually think Rudolph will be a good NFL QB.

Comment

• richpjr
        richpjr commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not often that a guy running a 4.9 would be considered substantially faster than the guy he'd eventually replaced if we drafted him.

• Fleet
        Fleet commented
        Editing a comment
        Not often...but in this case. His splits were on par with or even better than Kizer. Who can run.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        As an Oklahoma State fan, I ask what deep ball? Rudolph has a noodle arm.
    • chargerkdb
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
      • Send PM

Article on NFL.com that mentions workout with Pats also lists Chargers as team he has met or worked out with privately. Not sure they are counting Pro Day or that list would have been longer

Comment

• Joy Division
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Nice clip of Rudolph with the Mooch. Seems like a sharp kid. Good head on shoulders.
        FForward to the 2:30 mark.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• chargers_22
          chargers_22 commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw this when it first aired. Very impressed.
      • Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Let the * have him.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

If he's a statue like Rivers....no thanks.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Sorry Mav but this guy just has 3-4th round talent look to me..he could be a solid backup in the NFL
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                X