If Lamar Jackson is on the board at 17 do the Chargers select him?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KYBoltsFan
    THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
    Generous Donor
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I live in the Louisville area, and although I'm not a heavy Cards fan I watched every game Lamar Jackson played. His first year, he was the player that fits his current 'rep'....run first, spray and pray passer, one dimensional (but that dimension was incredible to watch). His 2nd and 3rd year as a starter he elevated his passing game incredibly. Yes, he missed some guys at times, but he made all the throws. What doesn't get mentioned: with the exception of Devante Parker who was injured most of Jackson's 2nd year as a starter and left for the NFL, he didn't have elite or even upper-level (or hell even consistent) talent at WR/TE during his time at UofL. His best, most consistent WR was the guy he replaced at QB, Reggie Bonafon. Thinking back on the games, there were numerous instances or his WRs being out of position, running poor routes, making bonehead mistakes, etc. Yet he still put up monster passing numbers as well as the spectacular running plays. Yes, he's 'lean', but his measurables are in line with a couple of the QBs being bandied about for top 5 consideration.

I think Jackson is actually underrated as a passer, and has the potential to be an impact player in the NFL. I don't see us taking him, but I wouldn't be hurt if we did.
    NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• vinabolt
      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
      • Feb 2015
      • Send PM

How many QBs who known for their running and athletic ability more than pure passing skills have been successful in NFL level throughout history? Until I see more success of this type of QB I'd say pass.
      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• chargerkdb
        chargerkdb commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike Vick, but Jackson ain’t Vick

• vinabolt
        vinabolt commented
        Editing a comment
        Vick wasn't that big of a success story. He was the only one who of this type of QB who weren't really a failure at this level. But still, he was injury prone like all other of this type of QBs.
    • Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

I voted No, and I'd do it again.

However, if he was there, yes I could see it happen, and I can understand why. TT's job is to keep the team competitive not just next year, but in the years ahead. He has an older qb, and if he thinks a very good qb is available at the 17th pick, he could pull the trigger.

I'm not advocating for it. But, I'd understand it, and as the draft has gotten closer... I've heard and read some pretty good things about Jackson... I'm not as cold on him as I once was.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Panamamike
        Panamamike commented
        Editing a comment
        A stacked roster keeps a team competitive yearly as well. In fact, if your roster is Reallly good you can even win with Qbs like ancient manning, flacco, jughead manning 2x, foles and keenum, dilfer etc. Just dont turn the ball over.
    • Antonio's Gates
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

No. Draft a fucking DT already.

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

None of this type of QB have a consistent and long successful stretch in their NFL career. Either 1 year wonder or 1 good stretch wonder. Then either injured or failing and regressing on the field when defensive coaches adjust their schemes. Vick was kinda in a grey area in this discussion. He had some success but it's not like he's a Hall of Famer. In the end he was just a good journeyman.

Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for those QBs, Vick, Griffin, Kapernick, Tebow, Tyrod Taylor, Newton etc. in a bunch of games, and it was always pain me to see those "running QB" trying to stay in the pocket and passing like a pure passer. You can see it right away that it's odd as hell and it's just not them, lol. They don't even look like themselves when trying to be patient in the pocket. You can clearly see that they're uneasy and that type of game isn't in their blood, no matter how hard they tried or how hard they practice, dedicate. Tebow was probably one of the hardest workers in all sports.

It never works. Past, present, probably future too. Until I see at least 5 of this type of QB with a consistent, healthy career with good longevity, I'd say stay far away from this temptation. They're nothing but a bunch of temptations who will always disappoint you 6 years from now.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

i damn near pooped 'em

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

/thread

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Does anyone else think that Lamar Jackson looks like Moe from the Simpsons?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20150814003006
              Last edited by Steve; 04-27-2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X