• Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Draft grades

After day 2 AFC West

Denver Broncos
    Draft picks: N.C. State edge rusher Bradley Chubb (No. 5 overall), SMU WR Courtland Sutton (No. 40 overall), Oregon RB Royce Freeman (No. 71 overall), Boston College DB Isaac Yiadom (No. 99 overall).
    Day 1 grade: A
    Day 2 grade: A
    Overall grade: A
    The skinny: Chubb was the best value on the board for this team. Putting him and Von Miller on the same defense makes them dangerous again, like when DeMarcus Ware and Miller were doing their thing. Case Keenum's two-year deal took QB out of the equation here, and Paxton Lynch still has an opportunity to grow into a starter. Sutton's going to be a playmaker at the next level because of his quick feet and size. The Broncos also needed a running back after letting C.J. Anderson go, and found one in Freeman, who looked more explosive later in the 2017 season. He might be getting back to his former self after struggling through injury; if he returns to form, the team got a steal. Trading Aqib Talib meant the Broncos were in need of a corner with length. Yiadom is a good fit.

Kansas City Chiefs
    Draft picks: Mississippi LB Breeland Speaks (No. 46 overall), Florida State DT Derrick Nnadi (No. 75 overall), Clemson LB Dorian O'Daniel (No. 100 overall).
    Day 2 grade: B-
    Overall grade: B+
    The skinny: The Chiefs had no first-round selection this year because they traded up 17 spots in 2017 to bring in Patrick Mahomes. The young gunslinger played well enough last season that the team unloaded veteran Alex Smith this off-season. The Chiefs wanted a versatile defender in the second round, and they gave up a third-round pick to go get Speaks, who fits the bill. Speaks has potential, and he'll have to meet it to make the trade-up worthwhile. Nnadi will be a good nose tackle, but can he affect the passing game enough to justify the team's decision to give up a fourth-round pick to move up 11 spots to get him? With the final pick in the third round, the Chiefs added O'Daniel, who will play a safety/linebacker hybrid role. The value was about right, and it will be an interesting fit.

Los Angeles Chargers
    Draft picks: Florida State S Derwin James (No. 17 overall), USC LB Uchenna Nwosu (No. 48 overall), N.C. State DT Justin Jones (No. 84 overall).
    Day 2 grade: C
    Overall grade: B+
    The skinny: The Chargers let the draft come to them in the first round, and they got a great player at a need position. Doesn't get much better than that for a mid-first-round selection. James is fluid, tough, and fast. I don't understand why he was still available at 17. The team was looking to improve its linebacker situation, and it deemed Nwosu the best option available in the middle of the second round. Will Texas' Malik Jefferson or Georgia's Lorenzo Carter -- who were both still on the board -- prove to be better players? Time will tell. They found their nose tackle in the third round, picking Jones. This might have been a little early for him, but we'll see if he can put it all together to be more than a rotational player.

Oakland Raiders
    Draft picks: UCLA OT Kolton Miller (No. 15 overall), Sam Houston State DT P.J. Hall (No. 57 overall), North Carolina A&T OT Brandon Parker (No. 65 overall), LSU DE Arden Key (No. 87 overall).
    Day 1 grade: C
    Day 2 grade: C-
    Overall grade: C
    The skinny: With many top-notch defenders on the board, the Raiders took an athletic but inconsistent tackle in Miller. His tape did not put him in the mid-first round. The team did get a third- and fifth-round pick in the trade to with Arizona to move five picks down (from 10 to 15), so that's a plus. Hall was one of my favorite non-FBS players in this draft, but his ascension to the second round was astounding. I believe his quickness and tenacious nature will translate to the NFL. Parker is raw and a bit of a reach in the early third, especially for a team that already picked an offensive tackle in Round 1. The Raiders took a chance on Key, who struggled with issues and injuries during his college career. If he can straighten things out, maybe he'll use his length to become a potent pass rusher.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Kc gets a day 1 grade of A without a pick. Ok.

Elway had a great draft.

And chucky had a bad draft. Really bad draft
    Last edited by Formula 21; 04-28-2018, 07:28 AM.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Maybe the grader should have bumped up the grade for the Chargers 2nd day, because Lamp didn't play a snap. Mahomes is highly regarded, but didn't play a snap as well.

As far as the Raiders go, not sexy at all, but Gruden says he doesn't care, but needs to have Carr upright just to even have a chance. I think he panicked when McGlichney got picked just before his spot, They did get the under-performing Martavis Bryant for one of those picks he got for trading down.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The draft is open, and the Panthers are on the clock.

Comment

• whookimane
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Rd 1 (17) - S Derwin James FSU - A+
            Not even in my wildest dreams did I think Derwin James falling to us was possible. Top 10 talent, fits our scheme perfectly, and fills an area of need. This is the most excited I have been about a first round pick in recent memory.

Rd 2 (48) - LB Uchenna Nwosu USC - C+
            Dont mind the player or fit just think this was a big reach. There were plenty of more talented players I believe we should have been targeting at this spot. In the second round I believe we should be targeting players with higher ceilings than Nwosu. Looks like a more athletic tourek williams type. I guess if this means kyle emmanuel is off the field I guess it should be an A+ pick.

Rd 3 (84) - DT Justin Jones NC ST - C-
            This just SCREAMED reach for need. There is no way in hell tom telesco can sit up at the podium and tell me this was the best player left on our board. Dont know much about the kid other than he appears to just be a rotational deffensive lineman that every scout i read says was pegged for the 5th or 6th round. Hated this pick but at least it was addressing an area of need otherwise it would be a D to me.

Rd 4 (119) - LB Kyzir White WVU - A-
            I am a huge Jatavis Brown fan and this pick doesnt sit well for his future with the team but I do love this pick. We announced him as a linebacker so i think its safe to say he will be playing will linebacker for us. He looks natural in coverage for a LB and boy does this guy hit. I am excited to see what kind of role he can carve out for us and if for nothing else looks like he can be a great special teamer.

Rd 5 (155) - C/G Scott Quessenberry UCLA - B
            I dont know much about the this kid but he appears to have some traits to work with and looks like it was a solid value pick. I think he has a shot to make the 53 which is all you can ask for this late in the draft.

Rd 6 (191) - WR Dylan Cantrell TTU - F
            I hated everything about this pick. We have the most depth at WR out of any position on the whole roster and this kid is turning 24 by the time the season starts and he doesnt even have phsyical upside as a 4.60 wr. If we were to draft someone like Deon Cain here I get it we dont need the position but the upside in round 6 makes it worth it. Cantrell is an old rookie with not much upside in my opinion so I really do not understand this pick at all.

Rd 7 (251) - RB Justin Jackson NU - D+
            We have needed a RB very badly in my opinion for a couple of seasons because what happens if Melvin Gordon gets hurt? I like the Gordon/Eckler combo but if Gordon goes down we dont have a real true between the tackles back to come and take over. I would have loved someone like bo scarborugh at this point in the draft but instead we draft someone in the Eckler mold in justin jackson. He is an undersized back that lacks explosiveness he is getting caught from behind so often it is concerning. An undersized back that lacks explosiveness, I just dont see him making the team and he provides virtually no insurance in the event Gordon gets injured which is what i believe we truly need.

Comment

• rikardo
              rikardo commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree
          • Charged4Life
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Send PM

I hear ya about running back depth for this team, whooki. what i'm hoping for is that the new o-line with Pouncey at C and Lamp added is that it won't matter who's toting the rock. Because even Gordon was pretty inconsistent last season....like he is every season.

Comment

• charger1993
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged4Life View Post
              I hear ya about running back depth for this team, whooki. what i'm hoping for is that the new o-line with Pouncey at C and Lamp added is that it won't matter who's toting the rock. Because even Gordon was pretty inconsistent last season....like he is every season.
              While yes our depyh isnt great, adding pouncey will make a huge improvement.. And if lamp plays up to expectations our run game will definitely improve

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

F

Can't believe TT didn't draft that guy the sun shines out his ass in round 7.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

I love draft grades on players people admit they know nothing about.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Bearded14YourPleasure commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey if I don’t know the guy obviously he sucks.
                • Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Cantrell has a lot of the qualities that have fans really like in PS games. He is a project, but he has a lot more of a chance than this thread is giving him.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Rd 1 (17) - S Derwin James FSU - A+

Rd 2 (48) - LB Uchenna Nwosu USC - A

The rest of the guys I don't know enough about to grade.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blueman
                      blueman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Weird so many are down on Nwosa. Solid A.
                  Working...
                  X