• Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    USA Today

Los Angeles Chargers: B+

Getting S Derwin James at No. 17 was a steal. GM Tom Telesco never stopped infusing talent into an already formidable defense, thought it did need to get much better against the run. LB Uchenna Nwosu, DT Justin Jones and LB Kyzir White may collectively elevate the Bolts to Super Bowl dark horse. Telesco is clearly confident QB Philip Rivers, 36, isn't slowing down
    Yep, i was confident we werent going QB in the top two rounds and unfortunately Lynn thinks Geno and Jones are great players.
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I give it an A.

This was not a draft for BPA and value that is always touted as the way to restock a franchise. This was not a draft to pick BPA and then try to build a scheme around their skills.

This team has its O and D in place and the schemes were developed by some damn good coordinators, among the best coordinators in football. This draft was about picking players that fit into the existing schemes and make those schemes better. We strengthened all three levels of D with players that fit Bradley's needs. This was a transformative draft for the D. The D is now faster, stronger and tougher. It is better equipped to play against today's O schemes that are pass first, run second. We now have the D backfield to defend the pass and the run from nickle and dime. Hopefully, it will stop the long runs against nickle and dime that were our Achilles heel last year.

On O, we got got a journeyman type center, a blocking wr, and a very experienced, productive rb. All have a high chance to make the team That's solid for the back end of the draft.

Conventional draft, no. A draft that really helps this teams, yes. That's an A in my book.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

AFC WEST

Denver Broncos

Most of the pre-draft buzz for Denver revolved around the quarterbacks and so therefore some will knock the Broncos' draft due to the fact that the club did not invest a selection in the position. Few can boast a more impressive class overall, however, starting with superstar edge rusher Bradley Chubb, who was unexpectedly available at No. 5 overall. Pairing Chubb with Von Miller, Shane Ray and Shaquil Barrett gives Denver as fast and physical a group of edge rushers for next season as there is in the league. It also gives the franchise flexibility with Miller turning 30 next year and due a massive raise. Wideouts Courtland Sutton and DaeSean Hamilton are two of the more polished pass-catchers in this draft, which had better put the veterans already on the roster on alert. Similarly, running back Royce Freeman is a bigger, faster version of former Broncos' back C.J. Anderson and has starting caliber talent. The Broncos found intriguing length at cornerback in Isaac Yiadom, another reliable pass-catcher in tight end Troy Fumagalli and one of the draft's most instinctive linebackers in Josey Jewell, among others.

Grade: A

Kansas City Chiefs

After sitting out the first round due to the trade last year for quarterback Patrick Mahomes, the Chiefs were on the warpath on Day 2 and 3, dedicating all five of their selections to defense. Breeland Speaks played defensive line at Mississippi but his agility allows Kansas City to move him wherever they like, including at outside linebacker. Derrick Nnadi is a shorter, stouter defender with the power to plug running lanes with the quickness and unrelenting style to contribute as a pass rusher. Of Kansas City's Day-3 selections, Kahlil McKenzie Jr. - the son of Raiders general manager Reggie - possesses the ability to outplay his No. 198 overall selection, projecting as a five-technique defensive end.

Grade: C

Los Angeles Chargers

For years the AFC West was known for its offense rather than defense but much like Denver and Kansas City, the Chargers focused more on lighting up opponents in this draft than the scoreboard, dedicating early picks on sliding Florida State safety Derwin James and Southern Cal edge defender Uchenna Nwosu. Each are moveable chess pieces tasked with improving a run defense that allowed an NFL-worst 4.9 yards per carry a year ago, as should defensive tackle Justin Jones and West Virginia's Kyzir White. Melvin Gordon is obviously the Chargers' lead back but don't be surprised if slippery seventh-round runner Justin Jackson provides some juice as a change-of-pace option.

Grade: B

Oakland Raiders

Full disclosure, I personally ranked the Raiders' first pick - UCLA tackle Kolton Miller - as the 62nd best player in this draft so I see this pick through that perspective. That said, many scouts were considerably higher on him than I was. The Raiders' selection of him at No. 15 overall (especially after a trade down) will not be perceived as a reach by most. Clearly, he fits a need. One consideration is the age, cost and future of left tackle Donald Penn, who turned 35 Friday. But the overriding concern here is that franchise quarterback Derek Carr is coming off an injury. The Raiders need to re-establish the running game and Miller's size and elite athleticism are perfect fits in offensive line coach Tom Cable's scheme. Unless there are significant improvements to Miller's technique, however, I believe he will struggle to handle the awesome pass rushers he will face in the AFC West, including during practices. Frankly, I liked Oakland's Day 2 and 3 picks more. North Carolina A&T's Brandon Parker dominated the lower levels and impressed at the Senior Bowl. Arden Key is as dangerous off the edge as he is unreliable off the field, which is why the top-20 talent slipped to No. 87 overall. Head coach Jon Gruden could be laughing all the way to the playoffs if Key, interior rusher Maurice Hurst Jr. and linebacker Azeem Victor remain on the roster long enough to make it to their second contracts.

Grade: B-minus

Comment

• SDFan
          SDFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that a consensus "expert" grade for Denver? Some regulars around here were ripping Elway as a horrible GM not long ago- yet he gets the best draft grade in AFCWest here.

• Gwynning_Spirit
          Gwynning_Spirit commented
          Editing a comment
          Donald Penn was in the news today.
      • Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

Shimonek is an intriguing UDFA. I think he looks pretty good. But who knows, I thought Sorenson looked good too.

I like the draft class, but who doesn't... at this point. Get them into camp and see how things work out.

Really interested in seeing how the defense will run... Williams/Verrett/Hayward at corners... could mean King gets some safety time.
        Safety - jeez Addae and Ja,mes ...with Jenkins and Phillips and perhaps some King in there, as well as the signing of Watkins.
        LBer... Perryman, Nwosu and White will all play... I'm almost wondering if this preludes Emanuel moving to a DE? It really could.

Alot of pieces to move around on that side of the ball, for sure.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
          Shimonek is an intriguing UDFA. I think he looks pretty good. But who knows, I thought Sorenson looked good too.

I like the draft class, but who doesn't... at this point. Get them into camp and see how things work out.

Really interested in seeing how the defense will run... Williams/Verrett/Hayward at corners... could mean King gets some safety time.
          Safety - jeez Addae and Ja,mes ...with Jenkins and Phillips and perhaps some King in there, as well as the signing of Watkins.
          LBer... Perryman, Nwosu and White will all play... I'm almost wondering if this preludes Emanuel moving to a DE? It really could.

Alot of pieces to move around on that side of the ball, for sure.
          Good point on King, he could be our new FS.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
          X